Follow

Cecilia Reyes

Character » Cecilia Reyes appears in 773 issues.

Cecilia is a doctor and former X-men member. She is able to generate a force field that is tied to her life force. She had recently been spotted in Chinatown. Recently she moves to New York where she´s hanging out with Gambit.

Black Female Superheroes Volume 1!!!

BeccaBaby87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BeccaBaby87
    So while trying to dream up inventive Halloween costumes (see the post below) I ran into some great costumes from Comic Cons past... and the dweeb in me LOVES a comic book moment... then it occured to me. I can only think of ONE black female superhero - Storm from X-Men.... Halle Berry also played Cat Woman (terrible terrible terrible movie) - but the character was not written as a black woman.

Naturally, I decided to Google "Black Female Superheroes"... and BOY WAS I SURPISED when I came across a whole website dedicated to black superheros! GO FIGURE! There's way more than just Hancock (which sucked, sorry Will!), Blade, and Ororo Monroe aka Storm.... and I had no idea.

If you look at Comic Con pics, every black guy who's there in costume is either dressed up as Blade or Morpheus... and I don't think I've seen a single picture of a black woman at Comic Con (and I've seen a lot of pics)... it's not like we'd have many options of who to dress up as anyway.

Soooooo.... this post is dedicated to all the Black Female Superheroes :: WOOP WOOP!

Akiya Bandaranaike (Silencer)

She has superhuman strength and endurance, but her trademark power is to stop vibrations in the air ... she can make complete silence around herself and even use that power to induce heart attacks. She MAY also have the power to control Electromagnetic fields. Her first appearance was in the Marvel Comic, Strikeforce: Morituri, in 1987.

Black Mariah

She first appeared in a Marvel Power Man Comic in 1975. She has no discernible POWERS but she stabs people with knitting needles, has a mean hook, and is a drug dealer.... great....

Bloodstorm

Bloodstorm is the Mutant X variation of Storm from X-Men... except she's also a vampire - and her look is MUCH MUCH cooler.

Brillalae

I have no idea what her power is... but she appeared in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.

Captain Marvel II (Photon)

This chick is baaaaad! She appeared in The Amazing Spiderman in 1982 and may be the most powerful of all black female superheroes. She has the power over light, can become invisible, and can transform into other energy forms (whatever that means). She also occasionally goes by Pulsar. Her REAL name is Monica Rambeau.

Cecilia Reyes

She's an X-Men character (first appearance in 1997)... she's Puerto Rican (gotta show love to all women of color!) and her backstory is pretty cool. She was a doctor but when her status as a mutant was revealed she was out of a job because of discrimination. Her power is a forcefield that can sheild her from most pain and save her life from fatal attacks.

Dreadlox

Awesome name, huh? She has the ability to make whoever she's fighting think they're worst nightmares are right before them... she basically manifests phobias. CREEPY! She first appeared in Secret Defenders in 1993 where she fought Wolverine and Spiderwoman... oh yea - she's a bad guy.

Embyrre

She has an awesome look and inhabits the BLADE universe and was introduced in 1994. She doesn't age and is immune to all disease. She can also generate intense amounts of heat and flame from her body.

Foxfire

She first appeared in Marvel's Squadron Supreme and is a BAD GUY. She has the power to weaken people's vital organs... and pretty much drain their life force... or something like that.

Frenzy

She's a part of the X-Men universe. She was working with Magneto, but was converted to being one of the Good Guys by Jean Grey. She has superhuman strength and her skin is as hard as steel - so she isn't injured in any physical attacks and can withstand extreme heat or cold. Her real name is Joanna Cargill.

This is Volume 1... I'll profile 10 Black Female Superheroes in each post... with all the heroes I'm finding, this will probably go on for 4 or 5 posts. Maybe even more! More Black Female Superheroines on the way!!!
    LordCosmicKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LordCosmicKing

thunder
    thunder

No Caption Provided
    madeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By madeline
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

That's a bad Photoshop of a Black Widow cover.

Taliax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Taliax

Thunder was cool, but they off'ed her for no reason

Thunder owning Supergirl
    Thunder owning Supergirl

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Taliax said:
    "Thunder was cool, but they off'ed her for no reason

Thunder owning Supergirl
    Thunder owning Supergirl

"
    She's black..that's a good enough reason for comic companies.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By pixelized

why is she blonde? ew

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    pixelized said:
    "why is she blonde? ew"
    She doesn't match either..something is obviously wrong with her.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By pixelized

LOOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.