Follow

C.B. Cebulski

Person » C.B. Cebulski is credited in 6986 issues.

Former Talent Liaison for Marvel Entertainment, he's the current Senior Vice President, Creator and Content Developer.

C.B. Cebulski Offers Some Advice To Upcoming Writers

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    For a writer, the hardest part may be getting that first break.  The general advice given is to keep writing and try to get published.  The question is, how do you go about getting published?  It's a question that many writers face.  I've even had some budding writers ask me how to make it happen.  I may have some connections but not necessarily those kinds.

While looking over my Twitter feed, writer C.B. Cebulski was recently talking about the upcoming writers wanting a job during the New York Comic Con.  He is one of those people that I don't consider just a writer.  I see him as more of a storyteller.  (Check out some of what he's written.)  What advice can he offer?
    Just to clarify, while I meet and talk to writers, I can't read pitches & proposals or discuss stories. My job is to find artists only.  I'm not venting, just trying to head off any potential confusion. Don't want people pitching me when they shouldn't be. Hope that helps.   As for submissions, there will be news coming from Marvel next week on that front.

Ultimately, it's the editors who hire the writers & artists. They choose the talent on their books.  Disturbing but eye-opening fact: No writer or artist has been hired through a cold submission mailed into Marvel in recent memory.

Upon intense review, we discovered that almost all new talent hired by Marvel over the past five years has come through "word-of-mouth".   Sorry if some folks don't like what I'm saying here, but it's the honest truth. It's not as easy to break into comics as people think.

We've put A LOT of thought into our talent discovery and hiring processes recently. We WANT to find more talent. It's in our best interest.  But sometimes this old adage is still the most apt: "The best way to get published by Marvel and DC is to get published elsewhere first."

So the best thing to do is try to get published somewhere.  Even if it's self-pubishing.  Let your work speak for itself.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

And here I thought I was gonna just arrive at the offices of DC and they would let me write Superman :P

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TwilightThunder

it's as true as it's gets, C.B Cebulski is quite right there, i'm a writer myself (i know there's LONG way to go before i get to publish) and i know it's not as easy as people think. If i get a chance to self-publish my work i'll make sure you guys on the vine get a preview or something. I'll probably end up funding an independent studio here in Venezuela like SO MANY writers/artists have done over the years all over the world... It won't be easy, but my passion is equal to the task at hand. As G-Man said, let your work speak for itself.

I'll quote Michael Faraday saying:
    "Work. Finish. Publish."
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Media_Master

hmm

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Media_Master

hmm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.