What's Wrong with this Picture? Catwoman a DC Online Villain?!

Posted by FoxxFireArt (3559 posts) - - Show Bio

It would seem that the Comic Vine - 3 Minute Expert on Catwoman came at an advantageous time to something I noticed just last night. As I was playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood last night. I got a little stuck trying to figure out what the game was asking me to do. I went to one of my favorite game tip websites and what I saw was that the site was adorned with ads for the DC Online game set of release in the first quarter of 2011. I had yet to see the official box art for this game. It took me a second, but I noticed somethign odd.

Look at the banner ad used on that site. It has the heroes and they lined up against their major villain. DC's big three heroes against some baddies. Batman posed against the Joker, Superman posed against Luthor, and Wonder Woman posed against Catwoman.......... Wait, what?! Now, I know Selina has never been the most moral person in the DC Universe, but I never really thought of her as a major villain. More along the lines of "morally ambiguous", but at the heart a good person. Not to mention, since when was she a villain of Wonder Woman?

What could be the cause behind this? I thought this game had a lot of input from DC. Surely they could of come across another villain who is far more insidious and deadly. They have Catwoman in the company with people who would kill the innocent without a second thought. Maybe they just wanted a recognizable female character to stand opposed to Wonder Woman. I just find it extremely odd that out of the entire DC lineup. They couldn't find a female villain of Wonder Woman. I find that hard to believe.

-Kristoffer Remmell ( FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.-
#1 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

That is rather odd. Wouldn't Circe have sufficed?

#2 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

well to be fair Catwoman isn't really a full fledged hero either....she's still stealing and she does live with Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn

#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I have also noticed she is a villain in the new BATMAN LIVE stage show they are building, I think DC are looking at Gotham Sirens as a kind of... villian/neutral thing that pushes her into a different role, I have always seen her as a neut

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13420 posts) - - Show Bio

its for non-comic readers who would rather peg Selina as a villain than actually take the time to learn about the character
#5 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

it's interesting because Circe is the magic mentor for villains and fights ww in game...

#6 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeae i would have put Circe in that third spot although you dont hear much of her in the DCU anymore that i know of
#7 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

I would of put either circe, cheetah or poison ivy (since she is well known)

#8 Posted by Manchine (4184 posts) - - Show Bio

Circe is Wonder Woman's nemesis in the game but she is FAR from well known.  So they put someone that stands a chance to being recognized.
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like they couldn't think of a villainess famous enough to balance Wonder Woman's appearance from the left-hand side.  The general non-comic buying public would think of Catwoman as a villain more than a 'neutral' who bends the law to achieve her goals...  

#10 Posted by Misterwizz (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Proving once again, just how DC has failed in getting a major of there characters to be noticed.

#11 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3559 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: 
Though, do you really think a DC MMORPG has much appeal outside of DC readers? The game is mostly going to be focused on DC fiction. Even if users didn't know who Circe was, they would once they played the game. There is no reason why everyone on the cover has to be instantly recognized. More often, people aren't going to know who a character on box art is until they play the game.

Why would Catwoman ever be teamed up with the Joker and Luthor? That cover just contradicts what happens in the game.
#12 Posted by fajkimajki (18 posts) - - Show Bio

DC stopped respecting their own "products" (comics) long time ago and nothing seems to change.

#13 Posted by Demas (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'all missing what really happened:

Client: So to contrast Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman we have their villainous counter-parts: Joker, Luthor, and Cheetah.
Artist: Got it.  Joker, check.  Luthor, check.  And... Che- wait- who's Cheetah?
Client: You know, Cheetah, that cat woman villain?
Artist: Oh, Cat Woman, okay, no problem, yeah I know her.

#14 Posted by OrionStarlancer (126 posts) - - Show Bio
@Demas: Yup.  That was my thought.  This is just the result of an odd marketing call meant to please a broader base than comic fans like us.  People know and recognize these characters and probably know Catwoman more from Batman Returns than they do from her role in the comics. 

And I'm not sure that hero and villain are supposed to be so exactly matched; I think it's just really well known characters from the DC universe and Catwoman and Wonderwoman are probably the best known female characters by a larger potential buyer base.
#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3559 posts) - - Show Bio
@OrionStarlancer: 
Can you really imagine though that this game is going to be a huge seller outside of DC Comic readers? MMOs are kind of a selective market.
#16 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Demas said:
" Y'all missing what really happened:  Client: So to contrast Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman we have their villainous counter-parts: Joker, Luthor, and Cheetah. Artist: Got it.  Joker, check.  Luthor, check.  And... Che- wait- who's Cheetah? Client: You know, Cheetah, that cat woman villain? Artist: Oh, Cat Woman, okay, no problem, yeah I know her. "
I hope Jim Lee knows who Cheetah is considering that he is co-editor at DC Comics...
#17 Posted by OrionStarlancer (126 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: I'm not sure, but perhaps it just represents the disconnect behind the marketing department and the consumer.  Someone decided that we really needed to put catwoman on the box because people have a certain affinity towards catwoman but they wanted to maintain the divide of three characters on each side and there was no way they were going to put Wonderwoman on what appears to be the villain's side.  Or maybe despite your point, the developers think that they could actually draw in other markets like those who play world of warcraft or other MMO's who know a little bit about comics and like the idea of pretending to be a character.  It's perhaps the same way that any average player may enjoy playing Ultimate Alliance 1 or 2 without having any idea who any of those characters are either (and speaking of weird choices, that game definitely had a few).

This isn't the first time that DC has made this kind of blunder, however.  Remember this summer when DC was celebrating their big anniversary and on their anniversary buttons they had all male characters and wonderwoman appeared nowhere despite how many male and female fans like her?  It's perhaps the same sort of thinking here that's leading to forgetting who the core fans are and trying to appeal to the public for what I'm assuming are economic reasons.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.