Was Catwoman a lesbian in the Dark Knight Rises?

#1 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio

Catwoman and her friend (Jen played by Juno Temple) stand at a window. Jen stands behind Catwoman stroking her back in a very loving way and says something to the effect of, “I thought this was what you wanted, the storm you wanted has come.” The scene in its dark lighting has multiple homoerotic elements, but it’s clear that these two are in a relationship that is beyond friendship.

#2 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lantern Prime said:

Catwoman and her friend (Jen played by Juno Temple) stand at a window. Jen stands behind Catwoman stroking her back in a very loving way and says something to the effect of, “I thought this was what you wanted, the storm you wanted has come.” The scene in its dark lighting has multiple homoerotic elements, but it’s clear that these two are in a relationship that is beyond friendship.

uh no

#3 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

homoerotic undertones in a batman film? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

#4 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lantern Prime: The friend was supposed to be Holly Robinson, who's always been Catwoman's BFF and protegé. Nothing more.

#5 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't get that vibe. I thought that there was chemistry between Anne H and Mr. Bale. They do hook up in (Venice?) at the end of the film.

#6 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

Lesbian? No. She kissed Batman. The farthest is bisexual, and that's already a stretch.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

Lesbian or not, she would have succumbed to the bat-mojo eventually.

#8 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Not every affectionate touch between two women (or two men) indicates a homosexual relationship.

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6142 posts) - - Show Bio

I could buy that she was bi

#10 Posted by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

This may come as a shock, but sometimes people touch other people without intending any sexual innuendo or undertone.

#11 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Not every affectionate touch between two women (or two men) indicates a homosexual relationship.

apparently you haven't been on the internet before.

All seriousness, no homo.

#12 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

@fodigg said:

apparently you haven't been on the internet before.

All seriousness, no homo.

Lol'd.

But this is why I hug friends and stuff; doesn't make us gay, just makes us cool enough to admit we like each other as really good friends.

#13 Posted by Dreamcast89 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

She was bi for sure. Also cats lick everything if you catch my drift.

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92873 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because affection between female friends clearly indicates that she's a lesbian (as opposed to the relationship with Batman...).

#15 Posted by JonSmith (4001 posts) - - Show Bio

... Does it matter?

#16 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lantern Prime: Nah, she was a skrull

#17 Posted by teamextrodinary15 (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

.....what?

#18 Edited by wickedfun (61 posts) - - Show Bio

How so? She absolutely scream heterosexual throughout the film, yet one scene makes you believe she's a lesbian. Where's the logic behind your question?

#19 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

it anything bisexual or just really sexual to where she messes around with girls a little

#20 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see any implication of any of this at all. You may have a very skewed concept of what female friendship is like.

#21 Posted by wickedfun (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

I don't see any implication of any of this at all. You may have a very skewed concept of what female friendship is like.

This.

#22 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought she was bisexual in the film =/

#23 Posted by ticklefist (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Dafuq?

#24 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it meant to be like stroking a cat since as cat woman she is a bit cat-like.

#25 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

@Lantern Prime: The friend was supposed to be Holly Robinson, who's always been Catwoman's BFF and protegé. Nothing more.

Well to be fair Holly is a lesbian. But no I don't think Selina has ever been portrayed as anything but straight comics or movies.

#26 Posted by DjBest02 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not get that vibe... In the end she ends up with Bruce. They go to Italy...

#27 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Yes, because affection between female friends clearly indicates that she's a lesbian (as opposed to the relationship with Batman...).

Really not even Lesbians can resist Batman if he has enough prep.

#28 Posted by HexThis (903 posts) - - Show Bio

Catwoman is very gay-friendly but I don't think she has much of a taste for women even in a subtexty way. She's quite sexual but very monogamous in her investments which are always men no matter how much she tries to be cool about it.

Also, it's not like Selina looked very pleased or cozy when Holly hugged her. As a matter in fact, Selina seemed more annoyed by Holly than anything, like a little sister.

#29 Edited by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't get that vibe in the movie...

#30 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

NO. She fled away on a romantic getaway with Bruce in the end, Catwoman has just always has a subtle sexual nature and might come off as Bi-sexual, but in the movie I never got the feel that she was, she was acting more like an elder sister in the mentioned scene.

#31 Posted by Jakesully1981 (281 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, she's straight and not lesbian or bi now lesbian goes to Batwoman and bi goes to Harley and Ivy

#32 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like to flick the homo switch without serious evidence, and I honestly doubt it

#33 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread still makes me facepalm.

#34 Posted by AmazingWebHead (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it. However, Jen was based off her friend Holly from the comics, who I'm pretty sure is a lesbian. It's really more of a sisterly thing, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.