Gotham City Sirens #1 Reviewed

Posted by G-Man (30667 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure when you first heard or saw this, you get the impression that it's just a gimmick.  A comic with just female characters in the spotlight.  Is this whole comic going to be one giant cliche?  Will there be any substance to it? 

And let me apologize in advance for the voices.  Doing female voices obviously isn't my strongpoint...

You can't argue against the creative team involved.  Paul Dini knows his stuff and Guillem March's pencils are something to look at.  We did see another female character make an appearance of sorts in this issue.  Do you think we'll see some more?  Who else do you think qualifies as a G.C. Siren?  Who else would you want to see in the title with Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley?  Do you think this title will last as a "monthly series"?  Is this going to be just a bunch of "Grrrl Power"?  How long until we see Batman appear?
Staff
#1 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I smell sitcom

#2 Posted by G-Man (30667 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
" I smell sitcom "
Maybe like The Golden Girls but with spandex?
Staff
#3 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923 said:
"I smell sitcom "

Nicely done, nicely done.   A lot of last page reveals with the Bat-related books of late, not that I'm complaining.
#4 Posted by The Clock King (42 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean you smelled a sitcom. Birds of Prey on the WB (based on the comic of the same name) which focused on the lovely ladies of Gotham.

#5 Edited by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't see why the Huntress couldn't be in this book, she would be a great addition.
According to "THe Wall"  she's in the "At LArge" section. Hopefully the Bat-Writers have plans for her.

#6 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm picking it up today.

#7 Posted by Legacy_ (10406 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked this issue, I'm looking forward for GCS #2, and I want Selina to "Answer" their question.

#8 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao. I love how Harley Quinn looks half-gone all the time.

#9 Posted by flynntanamo (38 posts) - - Show Bio

too me this just bids of prey but for the bad girls

#10 Posted by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley Quinn is THE worst dresser in comics.

#11 Posted by Dex (559 posts) - - Show Bio

The question is who wears the pants in their group.....my bets on Poison Ivy

#12 Posted by Pheeke (198 posts) - - Show Bio

i think i'll pick it up too, the art isn't really completely my style but i like the idea of the comic.

#13 Posted by The Psyentist (16462 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" Lmao. I love how Harley Quinn looks half-gone all the time. "
Hehe...I love Harley. She is so insane and cute! XD

@Dex said:
" The question is who wears the pants in their group.....my bets on Poison Ivy "
Oh, yeah.

#14 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3491 posts) - - Show Bio

i enjoyed it and really look forward for what's to come. i think that it has potential for a monthly but it is going to be a little bit of a challenge to get past the girl-powery stuff.

#15 Posted by DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson (979 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover is hot

#16 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this going to be somewhat of a replacement od Birds of Prey?

#17 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

this is original and of course i like originality but have harley and ivy have been a team since day 1

#18 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is this artist so acclaimed? I wasn't a fan.

#19 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Nigma at the end of the issue

#20 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3491 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dr. Maxwell said:
" I loved Nigma at the end of the issue "
right?! i don't think we'll be seeing the amazing boneblaster again very soon.
#21 Posted by flynntanamo (38 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" Is this going to be somewhat of a replacement od Birds of Prey? "
ya thats what i said
#22 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather see this than birds of prey, even if the stories arn't that great I bet it will still be very entertaining, like the animated series.

#23 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!
Soo glad to see the 3 of them together

(:

#24 Posted by N15PCA (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the voice over's in this video.  Very funny stuff.

#25 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man doing bone blaster made my night.

#26 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a neat comic!!!

I like me some girls only action!!!

#27 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking about picking this up today because of G-Man's review but I have a question. I don't read DC so will I be lost or does it explain everything well enough for a newbie to understand?

#28 Posted by Jane McClane (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jamiracles said:
"

Harley Quinn is THE worst dresser in comics.

"

...just look at who she dates...
#29 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

Since no one answered me, I went and bought it anyway. I really liked the art, it was easy to follow (even though I don't read DC and haven't bought a new comic since Onslaught), and using G-Man's voice for Boneblaster made him awesome. Thanks for the review G-Man, I think I found a new series.

#30 Posted by tara_la_reine (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I just love the notion that a comic w/ just female characters in the spotlight is automatically under suspicion of being a gimmick, one giant cliche, and lacking substance. A comic w/ just male characters in the spotlight might be considered those things if there was a gimmicky, cliched, shallow element involved, but no one would ever assume that simply because the comic focused on male characters. Furthermore, no one would be wondering which of the male characters "wore the skirt" in their group or what other male characters could be put in the series.  :/

Ivy, Harley, and Catwoman are three terrific, well-rounded characters who can easily carry a monthly series, and this comic has the good fortune to have a writer that understands them. I picked up the first issue and enjoyed it. There was exposition everywhere, of course, but the story still has kinetic energy. It's going someplace. Catwoman is feeling weak and uncertain after her ordeal, so it's a good bet that part of the story will involve her trying to get her mojo back. Harley (who seriously needs some different duds) has been in Metropolis for quite a while but is back in Gotham w/ her bestie, Ivy, who is gorgeous and misanthropic as ever. The artwork is really, really cheesecake-y and there are some nice individual frames, but I'm not blown away. I'm planning to follow the series, anyhow.

#31 Edited by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sort of insulted by Giullem March's art.because I feel that when Bruce Timm desgined Harley that design should'nt have been changed much,but heels!!!!!!!! He's gone too far. Of course,Dini was amazing.Due to my love of Harley,I love how he kept her peppy disposition as it was back in B:TAS. Overall,I can't say the art was what I was expecting,as in how Harley wears her traditional mainstream outfit on the cover,but changes in in the actual issue,but it was nice. The whole issue was fantastic whatsoever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.