First Look: Anne Hathaway as Catwoman with Mask and Ears

Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since Warner Bros. released the first official image of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises, everyone's been wondering if she'll wear a mask or goggles and will she have cat ears. Back in August, Anne Hathaway's stunt double was allegedly seen on set with a mask but we still weren't sure about the ears. Now it appears we have the answer.

JustJared.com has managed to capture Hathaway in her complete outfit. That means a mask and ears. Many have speculated that the funky goggles she was wearing in the official image had something to do with piloting the bat-cycle.

What will be the purpose of the ears? Is she wearing them just for show? Has she been inspired by Batman's costume as depicted in Batman: Year One? We'll have to wait and see.

== TEASER ==

JustJared has a couple more shots, included Christian Bale as Batman. Hathaway's costume looks a little...plain. Hopefully it will look better on camera. Then again, there has been speculation that director Christopher Nolan is putting up smokescreens to throw us off. Do you think this is the official costume or one that has been allowed to be seen unofficially?

Staff
#1 Posted by cattlebattle (12825 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats looks good,  Gary Oldman looks skeptical!!

#2 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that's more like it.

#3 Posted by ThePRez (287 posts) - - Show Bio

she looks photoshped

#4 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not too bad. 

#5 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as this looks "sillier", at least she looks like Catwoman now.

And pretty sexy to boot...

#6 Posted by Pokeysteve (8332 posts) - - Show Bio

It's probably real. Nolan sucks with Bat villains. Ras and Scarecrow had so much potential =/

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio

Im taking absolutely all photos and vids that are being released with an ENORMOUS grain of salt. Nolan is notorious for his security measures. There's no way he's not aware of these and I doubt that they're fully legit.

#8 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3535 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm idk. I still need to see an action shot. This is Anne Hathaway in a Catwoman costume, I want to see her playing Catwoman.

#9 Posted by drphilter (109 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it looks great and practical. i dont quite get the commenta about it looking boring... hasnt all the catwoman costumes been rather plain?

#10 Posted by sora_thekey (8176 posts) - - Show Bio
Sadly, all I can personally think of is: "Why?!". While I do think that Catwoman should have cat ears, why was it decided that hers' would look this way? All of Batman's ensemble in the Nolan films has a purpose. What is the purpose of the Halloween-headband cat ears? At least we now know she will share a scene with Commissioner Gordon.
#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

They seem a little too far back on her head.

#12 Edited by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to be a jerk but i can't stop laughing and i meen the Mean i'm making fun of her kind of laughing. She looks riddicules like a twelve year old who took 5 dollars from her moms purse and went to the dollar store to make a constuction paper mask and ears.....and i'm still laughing. I actually miss halley berry now i'm serious wtf did they run out of money in the costume budget making batman's suit more awesome or did Nolan just plain out stop caring...........still laughing just thought you should know

#13 Edited by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

OK Nolan chose the wrong leading lady...again. Maggie Gyllenhal should have played the Joker in the last movie and now we have a dumpy, fat leg, big @$$ cat woman who looks like a thousand and one "cat girl" costumes on a wide variety of online games (actually some of those costumes are better than this). She pretty much looks like a pear in skin-tight leather.

Why can't he find a woman who has Michelle Pfieffer's sexiness and acting ability (probably because few if any actresses can come close to her now).

#14 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care if she wears cat ears or not.

#15 Posted by LordTaronji101 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

its...ok i guess

#16 Posted by ecm1285 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I'm not feeling it. But I'm pretty sure that the movie will be good enough that I can overlook this.

#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (11923 posts) - - Show Bio

lol....I like Michelle Pfeiffer better

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The more I'm hearing about this movie's shooting details, the less I care about the movie... That being said, at this point, I don't give a care on what Catwoman looks like or why Bane doesn't have a luchadore mask.

Just let Nolan be finished in peace so the next Batman trilogy to give Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, Riddler, and Poison Ivy a shot at being awesome.

#19 Posted by QDarkside (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it, but I rather have her without the ears. She should at least keep the mask.

#20 Posted by kennybaese (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of wish they'd gone with the full head mask ala the Darwin Cooke design. But I'm glad she looks like Catwoman.

#21 Posted by NightFang (10078 posts) - - Show Bio

They look pretty good together.

#22 Posted by Sparklykiss (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Im taking absolutely all photos and vids that are being released with an ENORMOUS grain of salt. Nolan is notorious for his security measures. There's no way he's not aware of these and I doubt that they're fully legit.

I'm going with this! And will be the first to say that Commissioner Gordon is lookin' sexy, y'all.

#23 Posted by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sparklykiss said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

I'm going with this! And will be the first to say that Commissioner Gordon is lookin' sexy, y'all.

That's because you're a smarty pants :D

And oh my gosh, yes. Distinguished older men FTW.

#24 Posted by Sparklykiss (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: This made me grin way more than it had any right to.

@The Dark Huntress said:

That's because you're a smarty pants :D

You heard it here first! :D

#25 Posted by SneakyBawls (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of Julie Newmar. I like....

#26 Posted by weaponxxx (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

It's probably real. Nolan sucks with Bat villains. Ras and Scarecrow had so much potential =/

I disagree. Ras and Scarecrow were great. Liam Neeson was a great if unique choice for Ras and Cillian Murphy was the perfect choice for scarecrow. Nolan cast well again for Joker and Two Face. Eckhart was great and Ledger was sublime. Really if there was any weak casting it was Bale. Bale is perfectly serviceable as Batman and was quite good as Bruce Wayne but there was something inherently silly about him (the voice). Tom Hardy is going to make a great Bane but Hathaway has troubled me from the start. I don't think she can do it. What pisses me off is that Marion Cotillard was cast as a love interest when she would have been a fantastic catwoman. I don't think Hathaway is good enough and she looks ridiculous. Gary Oldman is right to be skeptical

#27 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, looks about as silly as I expected it to. But hey, it's a comic book film.

#28 Posted by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sparklykiss: Don't let it get to your head ;p

#29 Posted by weaponxxx (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecm1285 said:

Personally, I'm not feeling it. But I'm pretty sure that the movie will be good enough that I can overlook this.

I feel the exact same way. There have been some mistakes in casting in the previous two movies but the film was beyond strong enough to carry them through

#30 Posted by chalkshark (1190 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think those are ears. They look more like the eyewear she was wearing in the motorcycle pictures, pushed up on her head.

#31 Posted by Sparklykiss (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: This is why you have a red name, isn't it? :D (Shutting up now.)

I'm not going to judge any of these costume photos until I see Anne Hathaway in action. She's always looked awkward in stills. Princess Diaries, anyone?

#32 Posted by NightFang (10078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sparklykiss said:

@NightFang: This made me grin way more than it had any right to.

Get your mind out of the gutter, lol. Although they do hung and maybe kiss in that scene.

#33 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

She's going to effing kill that role and put all the haters in their places. You know, the exact opposite of what ScarJo Black Widow did.

#34 Posted by Sparklykiss (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: My mind is in the gutter? I was grinning at the look on his face. If that cowl wasn't all up in his face, I'd be pinchin' dem cheeks for sure.

#35 Posted by pikahyper (12267 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks dreadful, it makes sense though costumes don't have to look good in reality since everything is massively CGIed after filming, they just need a functional costume that gives the basic feel and doesn't get in the way of the actor/actress.

#36 Posted by Wingfoot (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi ! 

Looks like a teenager in a convention cosplay... 

Hihane washte.
#37 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. It's simple. 

#38 Posted by dvdhaus (7 posts) - - Show Bio

@Om1kron said:

I like it. It's simple.

This, and Anne Hathaway will be fine as Catwoman.

#39 Posted by mister garbage (365 posts) - - Show Bio

I got an idea... let's complain about it on the Internet!

#40 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know how to feel about this.

#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

The more I'm hearing about this movie's shooting details, the less I care about the movie... That being said, at this point, I don't give a care on what Catwoman looks like or why Bane doesn't have a luchadore mask.

Just let Nolan be finished in peace so the next Batman trilogy to give Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, Riddler, and Poison Ivy a shot at being awesome.

Excluding Ivy they all suck and we'll get another Schumacher out of them.

#42 Edited by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

Really,Ra's was still the same guy who was destroying societies which he felt no longer contibuted to the world,Scarecrow was NAILED perfectly,he has always been like that,a one trick pony who never did anything after his first encounter with Batman,100% true.

The pics are legit,i would have preferred if her mask covered her ears as well.

#43 Posted by gangly (107 posts) - - Show Bio

This to me looks, well... like something that doesn't really fit in with Nolan's vision. Batman's abilities and gizmos are very grounded in our reality, but Catwoman wears 6 inch heels?!? 6 INCH HEELS!

Have you ever walked in heels? It's hard. No one could believably swing around a city, fight, and be stealthy with those things on. Sure, they ad to her sex appeal, but I find "goggles and boots" Catwoman way sexier than "pose and crack a whip" Catwoman, because the former exudes action and power. Rrrrrrow!

Also, has no one considered the possibility that she'll have multiple versions of a costume? I'd love it if this is her 1st attempt at costumed vigilantism, but she realizes her costume is completely impractical so she makes one more like what we're seeing in her comics now. Could be pretty funny.

hopefully?

#44 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Riddler, Freeze and Two-Face don't suck at all...

#45 Posted by Praetor_fenix (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Yummy... Er... I mean i don't think that's the final product, knowin nolan it'd be a bit grittier.

#46 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else reminded of the Catwoman from the old Adam West Batman show when they look at this costume?

It doesn't look that great to me, but hey, the other films have been great so I'm fully willing to give Nolan the benefit of the doubt.

#47 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Riddler, Freeze and Two-Face don't suck at all...

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/entropy_aegis/overrated-one-trick-ponies/75-33583/

I beg to differ.

#48 Edited by Sapphire Warlock (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@gangly said:

This to me looks, well... like something that doesn't really fit in with Nolan's vision. Batman's abilities and gizmos are very grounded in our reality, but Catwoman wears 6 inch heels?!? 6 INCH HEELS!

Have you ever walked in heels? It's hard. No one could believably swing around a city, fight, and be stealthy with those things on.

Um...This is a movie. Based on a comic book. About a girl who swings around a city, fighting and being stealthy with heels on. In other words, fiction. Suspend reality for a second. It's possible.

But in all seriousness, I'm not a fan of her in the outfit. I was hoping for a bit of yellow accent to her outfit. Make her somewhat similar to the Bats himself. Or at least the outfit similar to this:

#49 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

@drphilter said:

i think it looks great and practical. i dont quite get the commenta about it looking boring... hasnt all the catwoman costumes been rather plain?

4 inch needle heeled boots are practical? Fighting in thick heels are one thing, but those heels aren't practical at all.

#50 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Your one opinion. There are thousands of fans (including myself) that actually likes those characters. Sorry your opinion is different than mine?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.