Famous artworks inspiring comic art

#1 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

came across this painting in class today by James McNeil Whistler called Lady Meux

and couldn't help but notice the similarities between this beauty and the beautiful Catwoman in AH!'s Real Power of the DCU. I asked Adam on deviantart if he was influenced by this particular artwork and am currently waiting for a reply, but in the mean time have you noticed any other comic art or covers that seem to have been influenced by traditional art? and if so, share!

#2 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE:
hahahaha American Gothic, Grant Wood. Niiice :]
#4 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Wyeth, cave painting, Salvador Dali, Edward Gorey, Gustav Klimt,
Rene Magritte, Alphonse Mucha, Picasso, C.M. Coolidge, Van Gogh,
Warhol
#5 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE:
oh dang! haha these ones are crazy. that gustav klimt one is amazing
#6 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover of Blaskets Nights Catwoma looks just like a photograph of Audrey Hepburn.

#7 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

There's lots of homages to Norman Rockwell. This one for example, but pretty much all of his famous paintings has several comic homages.
That reminds me, i should upload some more pics to the Homage Covers page.

#8 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio
@ragdollpurps:  Hey, that Lady Meux is a great find! Very beautiful and I can see the resemblance

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.