Do you think Anne Hathaway can play a good Selina Kyle?

• 82 results
#1 Posted by TheSheepHerder (11958 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on what I have seen from her so far, I have a lot of doubts. Maybe she will surprise us in the end but for now I am not sure she is the right choice.

#3 Edited by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be too distracted by her eye candy to notice.                                                                        

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Anne Hathaway, she's not great, but the casting could have been much, MUCH worse.

#5 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see her as Selina Kyle...but not Catwoman...

#6 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

I trust Nolan. All his movies I've seen I've liked. It depends on his take of Catwoman; we'll just have to judge how effective it is after we've seen it.
#7 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll have to see, I have yet to be impress by any of the female cast in Nolan Batman.

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9607 posts) - - Show Bio

Of anyone I think she has the acting chops for it.  She is a bit young as compared to Bale, but she is one of Hollywood's best young actresses (check out Rachel Getting Married).  Actors and actresses have the constant struggle of making worthwhile films versus making financially successful ones.  An academy award looks good on your resume, but it usually means that no one saw the particular movie you won it for.  So she has some financially driven movies (Devil Wears Prada, Bride Wars) and some more serious ones.  Best to judge her by the serious ones though.  After all Nolan will get her to act serious.
Moderator Online
#9 Posted by HolySerpent (12517 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid said:
"I trust Nolan. All his movies I've seen I've liked. It depends on his take of Catwoman; we'll just have to judge how effective it is after we've seen it. "

@ComicMan24 said:
"Based on what I have seen from her so far, I have a lot of doubts. Maybe she will surprise us in the end but for now I am not sure she is the right choice. "
#10 Posted by lightningfast (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Anne Hathaway is a good actress. I think she'll be a better Catwoman than any of her predecessors.

#11 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure Nolan knows what he's doing :)

#12 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the same doubts that I had about Heath Ledger......and look how that turned out.
#13 Posted by GREGalicious (473 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Anne is a very diverse and most importantly GOOD ACTRESS who can easily pull off Selina Kyle. She'd do well as her alter ego Catwoman as well.
Based on most of Michelle Pfeifer's films before Batman Returns, i wouldnt have thought she'd make a good Catwoman but she was GREAT in that film!!!

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

Anne Hathaway is either a terrible actress or everything she's been in sucks.One or the other.She's no Selina Kyle.She doesn't have the body and i'm sure if there is fighting between her and Bale it will look terrible.They'll have to doctor it up with camera angles and editing.

#15 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I like Anne Hathaway, she's not great, but the casting could have been much, MUCH worse. "
This.
#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawk said:
" I have the same doubts that I had about Heath Ledger......and look how that turned out. "
Yes, this. 
#17 Posted by Bouke (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure she is the right person for the part, but i'll trust in Christopher Nolan.

#18 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

She might be good,but she'll never out do Michelle's  portrayal

#19 Posted by entropy_aegis (15198 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aqua11500 said:
"She might be good,but she'll never out do Michelle's  portrayal "

With a mindset like that OBVIOUSLY she'll never out do michelle.
#20 Posted by Nefarious (19694 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

She's going to have a helluva time topping the first.

#22 Posted by War Killer (20129 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#23 Posted by Edamame (28075 posts) - - Show Bio

Much better than I can, yes.

#24 Posted by RazzaTazz (9607 posts) - - Show Bio

I never really bought the Michelle Pfeiffer version.  For me part of it was the writing, seeing as Batman had to train his whole life to be able to do what he does, and then Selena can almost copy him because Max pushes her out of a window.  I think Burton also directed her to be some sort of personal fantasy.  I think Nolan/Hathaway will do much better with it. 
Moderator Online
#25 Posted by McKenzie (65 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawk said:
" I have the same doubts that I had about Heath Ledger......and look how that turned out. "
bingo!
#26 Posted by ScarlettLynn (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I trust that Nolan has good casting instincts. I've been surprised and confused by some of his casting choices before and I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

As for Anne Hathaway... I think she's a strong, talented actress. Those who have only seen her cute roles like The Princess Diaries are only getting a partial picture of her skills. I think her serious work in Brokeback Mountain and, especially, Rachel Getting Married have shown she's a solid actress.

Those two things combine to have me hopeful about the role and certainly don't leave me feeling pessimistic about the quality of what's to come.

#27 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe...

#28 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

At first when I found out that Anne Hathaway had been cast I have to admit that was more than disappointed. Of course she's a beautiful woman, but I didn't feel that she had enough sex appeal to pull off portraying a character that's known for using her feminine wiles. To me, Anne was more of a "girl-next-door" type, which Selina Kyle is definitely not. However, after doing a little research I started to find images of Anne from photoshoots that gave me a more little faith in her.  Needless to say, I'm a little less doubtful of her upcoming performance. If she can keep up for an hour and a half+ the presence she exudes in these photos, I'd have to say that she'd make a fine feline.

Gotham's Elite, anyone? Socialite Selina?
 Femme Fatale
#29 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think she's sexy enough IMO. Lord knows she is georgous and beautiful and every other word I could use to compliment a woman's appearance and manner except sexy. Not Selena sexy anyway. And Michelle will be a hard act to follow in terms of sexiness.
#30 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she has the potential, but I think she is going have to try hard to become Catwoman
#31 Posted by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#32 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she definitely deserves a chance I think she kind of has a certain look that might do well as Catwoman and I don't think she was a terrible pick and I think with Chris Nolan's direction she will be able to pull off Catwoman.
#33 Posted by AgentOfAnarchy (134 posts) - - Show Bio

She seems to gentle. the only way I can see her pulling it off is if it goes down the same lines as Catwomans last appearance on film. (Not counting halle Berry here.)

#34 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Nolan casted Heath ledger as The Joker and did a terrible job with the character. No one can eve replace Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, Anne Hathaway could play Selina Kyle but not catwoman

#35 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is everyone trusting Nolan? He also cast Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

#36 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know what to say. She could be bad or good.

#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (15198 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonAvenger said:
"No, Nolan casted Heath ledger as The Joker and did a terrible job with the character. No one can eve replace Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, Anne Hathaway could play Selina Kyle but not catwoman "
If it were'nt for ledger than chances are joker would still be getting his ass kicked by everyone in the comics,and yes someone can replace Pfeiffer(who was more lady deathstrike than catwoman btw).
@Jotham said:
"Why is everyone trusting Nolan? He also cast Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal. "

Who both portrayed a pointless character that never existed  in the comics.
#38 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

i love anne hathaway shes going to do cat woman some good justice

#39 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know maybe I have doubts yet

#40 Posted by Dunk20 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#41 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Her casting is definitely a surprise, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt despite her abysmal efforts at hosting the Oscar's. From what I've heard, her screen test really knocked it out of the park. I do wish they show us that at some point.

#42 Posted by Cats (666 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Anne Hathaway is either a terrible actress or everything she's been in sucks.One or the other.She's no Selina Kyle.She doesn't have the body and i'm sure if there is fighting between her and Bale it will look terrible.They'll have to doctor it up with camera angles and editing. "
WUT
#43 Posted by Billy Batson (57943 posts) - - Show Bio
We will see but yes.
#44 Posted by TheSheepHerder (11958 posts) - - Show Bio
@Adnan said:
" So basically...in Nolan we trust? I can't really argue with that, I guess.  

On a related note, did anyone else hear about Juno Temple being cast...as Catwoman's sidekick? I'm not sure whether it's been confirmed to have been true or not, but if it is...I'm not sure how I feel about that... "
Hmm.....So we have Holly Robinson now?
#45 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

A sidekick for Catwoman? I think it'd be a bad idea to have either Holly Robinson or Catrina Falcone in this. 

#46 Posted by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm unsure.
#47 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: She wasn't too bad in Get Smart. It wasn't an good, but it wasn't a terrible performance.
#48 Edited by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure she'll do fine. I was extremely skeptical at first but now my trust in Nolan has me content with her being cast. 

#49 Posted by virgin4life (428 posts) - - Show Bio

yall n*ggas stay hating anne hathaway..

I haven't liked her in most movies Ive seen with her either...

HOWEVER,

I also didn't like heath ledger in any movies before dark night

#50 Posted by Phylos (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

i have doubts that anne will channel selina kyle/catwomans character. i've liked her in other roles, but a villain? she seems so...pure for that roll. but who knows, she might just pull through. michelle pfeiffers portrayal is still my favorite till this day. i just hope they don't whore up catwomans costume, halle berrys was a little too much, showing her stomach and what not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.