Follow

Catwoman

Character » Catwoman appears in 3421 issues.

Catwoman is a fictional character originating from DC Comics. Under the costumed alias of Catwoman, Selina Kyle, is a cat burglar with an on-again, off-again, romantic relationship with Batman. She is shown as a woman who is very strong-willed, independent and morally dubious.

Catwoman good for TV ?

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

I just finished reading Judd Winik's run on Catwoman and thought, that in light of the new Gotham TV pilot, Selina's story from this series would be a great for television. I'm not really sure that I'll be into Gotham as it's set in the years of Bruce as a child and will focus on characters that are comprised of Batman's supporting cast rather than anyone with more appeal. . . . like Batman for instance.

Winik's take set's up some really interesting dilemmas for Selina as well as providing an interesting dynamic for Catwoman's character development through the series, a skilled but reckless good time girl who has to learn about consequences as the results of her choices take a toll on her life, "professionally" and personally.

There's a lot of talk about the stigma of leading women on film as far as appeal and saleability, but my opinion is that it's all bull. Women just need more great characters and great stories and they'll sell and out-sell male leads every time. This is the foundation for one of those stories and I think that it would be more interesting to the general audience than Gotham.

I'm interested to know your thoughts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a bunch of great things with women in leading roles. Not just TV shows but movies and games too

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Right! I just wanted to try and subdue that argument (that a female lead might be a hard sell) if it were to come up, as a general statement, not singling out any one genre.

I'm thinking TV for Catwoman because there is a greater opportunity to delve into all of the nuances of a character and a story that you can't squeeze into a 2 hour movie, though I would love for them to give her another live action movie.

Did you like Winick's run one Catwoman?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.