Anne Hathaway Confirms She's Playing Catwoman

Posted by G-Man (38431 posts) - - Show Bio

When it was announced that Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy were both cast in The Dark Knight Rises, there was some question as to what role Hathaway was actually playing. What everyone noticed is the press release from Warner Bros. stated she was cast as Selina Kyle with no mention of Catwoman. It made sense that Christopher Nolan might just have the character appear in her civilian guise as a love interest for Bruce Wayne rather than have her running around in a leather outfit being a cat burglar. Even Nolan seemed a little coy about confirming or denying Catwoman's appearance. Now we sort of have some clarification. 

Batman-News.com managed to catch Anne Hathaway's appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show and she mentions playing "Catwoman." 

There still may be a tiny chance that Hathaway wasn't completely aware of the role. She may have read a part but I'm sure they wouldn't use actual scripts during readings. She would know she's playing a character called Selina Kyle in a Batman movie and probably looked up the character's history. I won't be personally convinced until I see a more official announcement and the inevitable Catwoman character movie poster. Let's hope that happens.
Staff
#1 Posted by KRYPTON (1868 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to be interesting

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (135 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense to me to have her be Catwoman, because most people don't know who "Selina Kyle" is. I've been a fan of Batman just about as long as I've been alive, and I couldn't have told you Catwoman's actual name. 

#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147099 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. I still can't picture her as Selina Kyle but you never know.

#4 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah...it really depends on how you interpret it... I doubt she is a comic fan so she wouldn't be as careful with her wording... 

#5 Posted by Loki9876 (3082 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is going to play catwoman why else would they be so mysterious about. I f she is not they better say it at the start so the excitement can't grow and no people get dissapointed.

#6 Posted by ThanoStomp (808 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she's a very talented actress, so she may be able to pull it off.  But I'm not going to bet on it.  She just doesn't do it for me.  Catwoman needs to exude sensuality.  She's just too straight-laced.

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (15750 posts) - - Show Bio

She and france SUCKED at the oscars. 
if she brings a similar performance to TDKR,then i'm gonna cry.
#8 Posted by MadComics (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if Catwoman will actually hurt the movie or help it...the only problem, I hope not too much things happen in this movie, like what Spider-Man 3 did.

#9 Posted by AetherMaster (65 posts) - - Show Bio

For those of you judging Anne Hathaway solely on her more "family " roles, you need to check out Rachel Getting Married.

#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Hrmm... she may just be saying 'Catwoman' to guarantee that everyone knows who she means.  But I suspect we'll be seeing some kitties galore ;)

#11 Posted by Caligula (12387 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" Hrmm... she may just be saying 'Catwoman' to guarantee that everyone knows who she means.  But I suspect we'll be seeing some kitties galore ;) "
agreed.
#12 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Really! Really! 
actual Catwoman!!!! 
oooooooo I'm now happy!
#13 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7679 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Anne is going to do a great job for either Selena Kyle and/or Catwoman. 

#14 Posted by Jake Fury (19945 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
"Interesting. I still can't picture her as Selina Kyle but you never know. "

Purr?
#15 Posted by G-Man (38431 posts) - - Show Bio

Butt crack. Always funny when creeping out of pants.

Staff
#16 Posted by TheSheepHerder (11962 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not convinced that she can play a good Selina Kyle.

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92011 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: It was those pictures that convinced me. 
#18 Posted by Squall. (908 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
"

Yum
#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92011 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL Andy

#20 Posted by ComicMan24 (147099 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: She looks good in those pics yeah but she doesn't seem to have that seductive thing that Catwoman should have. Of course I could be wrong and I guess she was picked for a reason.
#21 Posted by TypingKira (3345 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd really like to see what kind of Selina she'll be, I mean, I'm no big huge fan but I do like Catwoman and I do ADORE Anne Hathaway, so I can't wait to see how it works out. 

#22 Posted by chipsnopotatoes (340 posts) - - Show Bio

Her screen test supposedly knocked it out of the park. I'm really curious now...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.