Alex Ross Draws Catwoman For Charity

Posted by G-Man (29418 posts) - - Show Bio

It's always nice when high profile creators donate their talents for charity.  Alex Ross has donated an original piece of Catwoman to The Saved Whiskers Rescue Organization (S.W.R.O.), a charity dedicated to rescuing animals.  You can bid on the piece at EBAY but keep in mind, it's a piece of original Alex Ross work.  Bidding ends on Friday, November 13, 2009 (at 11:00 PST).

Alex Ross said:

"Animal rescue is one of my favorite causes. Saved Whiskers does great work to save the lives of animals in need. Doing this painting for them was also a great excuse for me to illustrate a version of a character I love. It is a donation that I'm extremely proud of. For any fans who are animal lovers, please bid as much as you can. If you can't afford to bid, please donate to: http://www.savedwhiskersrescue.com/donations.html or send a donation via paypal at: paypal@savedwhiskersrescue.com or to Saved Whiskers Rescue, PO BOX 1674, Voorhees, NJ 08043. It's a great cause!" 

What do you think of Ross' work here?  How much do you think the winning bid will be?
Staff
#1 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? I think Catwoman needs a thighmaster O_O

#2 Posted by Green ankh (997 posts) - - Show Bio

That is fantastic !!  One the best Ross works i have seen.
#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit: oh no you didnt!!!!!  

god help us that women with curves are less attractive than stick figures grrrr lol 

Great pic, no idea how much it would go for but maybe we should have a guessing comp? like the old guess the jellybean jar stuff! 
#4 Posted by reepicheep (3 posts) - - Show Bio

well its the thought that counts
#5 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

This is greatness......now to find $10,000

#6 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the expression of the cat down by her boot. So adorable.

#7 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I'm more a fan of Selina's new costume, but then again, I'm also a huge fan of Ross' work.

#8 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the fact that he made her look more of an every day woman. He is great for that, can make characters have a heroic physique but at the same time make it look realistic.

#9 Posted by spartanmusashi (25 posts) - - Show Bio

He draws such realistic unrealistic women. I love his work.

#10 Posted by AirDave817 (786 posts) - - Show Bio

"There are strange stirrings in my Utility Belt!" ~ Batman Adam West, to Catwoman Julie Newmar...

#11 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Ross Should do a movie or cartoon or something with his drawings

#12 Posted by Bathory1313 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this... i think this is such a wonderful drawing...

#13 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nyogtha said:
" I actually like the fact that he made her look more of an every day woman. He is great for that, can make characters have a heroic physique but at the same time make it look realistic. "
Ditto.
Staff
#14 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Chun-Li-esque legs.Ross is awesome time.There are just some characters that he can just....do.Good Catwoman.It's not better than Adam Hughes' though.

#15 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nyogtha said:
" I actually like the fact that he made her look more of an every day woman. He is great for that, can make characters have a heroic physique but at the same time make it look realistic. "
I thought Catwoman's expression was rather impressive. Very realistic, but also very cute. I think this could make a couple grand.
#16 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just too awesome, it is delicious, sexy, cute, colorful, playful, and just all around gorgeous.  Now, who wants to lend me a couple grand so I can buy it?  Anyone?  *crickets*

#17 Posted by TheOmegaMan (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Cats freak me out. All they do it scratch and bite! Wait, that might be a good thing, Catwoman!
#18 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my God, that's $1,200 already! :o

#19 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I just became an animal rights activist.... MROW.
#20 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the painting.

#21 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

She is looking a little hefty. For someone as physically active as catwoman, there's no reason for that. 

I'm also not a fan of Ross' work. My Supers don't need wrinkles and cellulite.

#22 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

What if Betty Page became Catwoman? :D Great pic, but honestly something about Ross' work seems....off. Y'know?

#23 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. But what is that, a dress? How is she going to jump around rooftops in that?

#24 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Charming

#25 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4140 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Easy the same way Supergirl flies around with a skirt on. I actually like this picture alot, I love Ross's work if I had a few grand I would definitely bid. But since I don't I am just gonna have to donate. Anything for the little furry animals, although I am not a cat person, oh well.
#26 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" @Jotham: Easy the same way Supergirl flies around with a skirt on. I actually like this picture alot, I love Ross's work if I had a few grand I would definitely bid. But since I don't I am just gonna have to donate. Anything for the little furry animals, although I am not a cat person, oh well. "
Yeah, I actually thought about Supergirl when I wrote that. I think they're changing her outfit, though.
#27 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Great piece for a great cause. Love it!

And the kitties are oooh so adowable!!!!

#28 Posted by NightFang (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet, work of art.

#29 Posted by The Messanger (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Why's she wearing a Cape?

#30 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Messanger: Golden/Silver Age Catwoman wore a cape. 
#31 Posted by Ectoplasmic (81 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @G'bandit: oh no you didnt!!!!!   god help us that women with curves are less attractive than stick figures grrrr lol  Great pic, no idea how much it would go for but maybe we should have a guessing comp? like the old guess the jellybean jar stuff!  "
I'd say.... $8500...? Plus tip?
#32 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

So cute!!

#33 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMN!!!
#34 Posted by Alpha (7311 posts) - - Show Bio

Beautiful work!
#35 Posted by MissAcid (24 posts) - - Show Bio

So amazing!! Love the expressions as noted above! Plus a double gold star for Alex Ross on the costume choice!

#36 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Alex Ross how you fill my heart with joy with your work of art :D
#37 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! I love Ross' work!

#38 Posted by Omega The Supreme Being (139 posts) - - Show Bio

love it

#39 Posted by aztek_the_lost (30740 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like it only sold for $3,550...

#40 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: the reason people like Ross' work so much is becuase he does what none of the other artits do: he makes them look real. acording to every other artist, superheroes are all mr. Universe competitors.
 Ross makes them realistic. His Superman doesnt look like an olympian. His Green Arrow doesnt have super massive biceps. His Aquaman has never looked anything less than iconic. 
 Other artists make heroes look 25 when thier in their 40's. They stack non-existent muscle upon non existent muscle.

Ross' style works for epic stories, becuase the best stories require you to see humanity in the characters, and his art is all about the humanity of the characters.
#41 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a very beautiful piece!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.