dead_raccoon's Catwoman #12 - It's Nice To Have Someone I Can RELY On review

The Cat-signals debut

I like seeing that Judd and his team were able to provide enough story and fabulous art with the Dollmaker arc to satisfy us readers before we usher in the dreaded September #0 issues.

First off dolls are creepy so I'm glad this arc has ended. Who are you and why are you making cat face's in the sky?! I have mixed feelings about Spark vandalizing the Bat-signal to create a Cat-Signal, but seeing the crude cat face in the night sky was hysterical so I'll let it slide (If Selina becomes a proactive vigilante then I hope to see this signal more often, lol) . In destroying the signal it was expected that immediately afterwards we see Batman make an appearance (I love a good cameo). What I don't like is a character who doesn't know their loyalty; Spark doesn't know which side he's on nor why he does what he does since he's helping both the cops and Selina, but Dollmaker has gone from a "He" to a "She" in just one issue so nobody knows anything anyways.

Through the beat down Dollmaker manages to keep...its...hood on the entirety of the fight, and for that I applaud her because I can barely keep my raincoat hood on during a brisk walk. Also, an ominous and cliche hooded coat covering her I'm-psychologically-damaged doll face is tacky and worthless since she removed the hood last issue. Why are you hiding your mask with a hood we know what you look like now!! I guess the traditional bad guy dialogue with the hero needed a dramatic unveiling. We find out during this part that Dollmaker has come from a long line of crazies, her father and grandfather being the villain.....Toyman. That's a sad story.

Just when I was getting used to Spark being a person he gets shot on the last page by a woman working for penguin. The conversation between Gwen and Penguin left me confused because Gwen seemed to have killed Spark for the Penguin, but the Penguin tells her that she owes him...and why is that??

I have no complaints about this issue really. We see that Selina can be a whore and an idiot on more than one occasion, but that she also has a good heart and starts seeing that there's more to just stealing and being a bitch. If you need to be influenced to pick up this particular issue then something is wrong with you because its the conclusion to a story, and a good story in my opinion, so shame on you. If you're looking for a good read then pick up Catwoman starting with issue #1, lol.

Posted by mikeyar19

I read this as Gwen getting info on Spark from Penguin and then killing Spark to protect Selina. Now Gwen owes Penguin for the info, but doesn't necessarily work for him.