What should New-52 Catman look like?

#1 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason I'm asking this is that The old DCU Catman looked like the stereotypical super hero with the cape and the tights, so what would he look like in the new 52 since not even superman or Batman wear the classic superhero outfit any more.

I personally like the sketch by Brent Booth (it could still use a little work in a few places) but, it really does have that New-52-esk costume feel to it with the armored out look, especially with the leg and arm Armour. I also like how the brass-knuckle-claws that the Secret Six Catman used has been incorporated as part of the costume. What do you think the New-52 Catman will/should look like?

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad

#3 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e: I agree

#4 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

that's awesome but I would keep the old cape.

#5 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

I like he has no cape, why have a cape if your name is CATman?

#6 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it me or does this Catman look like he would fit much better on the Secret six? Don't get me wrong, I loved the Gail Simone secret six. But this Catman just looks more murderous.

@Superguy0009e: @Stormbox: @Loki9876:

#7 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

That is some shizzling art.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12515 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

this

#9 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Roman said:

That is some shizzling art.

Is that good or bad?

#10 Posted by starrk_coyote (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueArrow said:

The reason I'm asking this is that The old DCU Catman looked like the stereotypical super hero with the cape and the tights, so what would he look like in the new 52 since not even superman or Batman wear the classic superhero outfit any more.

I personally like the sketch by Brent Booth (it could still use a little work in a few places) but, it really does have that New-52-esk costume feel to it with the armored out look, especially with the leg and arm Armour. I also like how the brass-knuckle-claws that the Secret Six Catman used has been incorporated as part of the costume. What do you think the New-52 Catman will/should look like?

@Superguy0009e said:

Not bad

@BlueArrow said:

@Superguy0009e: I agree

i think it CAN work.

#11 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueArrow: If my slang language knwoledge is correct I think he mean good, also I want the cape back.

#12 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that design.

#13 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueArrow: Good.

#14 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5151 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. It could actually work with the cape too but I prefer capeless. He's a cat ,their supposed to be sleek and stealthy a cape is just the opposite of that.

#15 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon said:

I like it. It could actually work with the cape too but I prefer capeless. He's a cat ,their supposed to be sleek and stealthy a cape is just the opposite of that.

I agree, he should be similar to Catwomen in a few ways, (not like catwomen) but have some aspects, like being sleek and stealthy

#16 Posted by Hit_Monkey (872 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, gotta have the cape. In fact the Secret Six costume is superb. I would rather he kept it.

#17 Posted by cameron83 (6640 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVE THIS LOOK (maybe they can use this look,or they may use an even better one,but this one would suffice as well)

He actually looks sleek,and like an anti-batman

#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

Yup. The cape always seemed kind of corny to me.

#19 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: I think that was the point ;)

#20 Posted by The_Tree (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind that design if a cape was included, and the ears were more pointed forward. I still firmly believe that the old costume was perfect though.

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@queenfrost_: Maybe 65 years ago, but it's completely pointless now. Catman is no longer some cheap anti-Batman villain, he has outgrown that aspect of his character. The cape is useless to him and it doesn't fit his motif.

#22 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: I know, but I think Gail liked to have a bit tongue-in-cheek with him

#23 Edited by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: but his cape is supposed to be magical

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876: I know, but there's no reason the cape of all things, should be magical. Why not an African totem, for example?

#25 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

he needs to have the cape. it served a purpose. people that know the character and arent just weighin in only for the esthetics will want the cape.

#26 Posted by kronnik (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer:

The benefits conveyed by his cape can be just as easily attributed to some other piece of his equipment. Something feline inspired that provided the healing factor would make more sense than the arbitrary cape. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but saying the cape has to stay due to the purpose it served is a bit misleading and presumptive. The purpose is obviously more important than the cape itself, unless removing that healing factor is a conscious change. Hopefully it isn't a change made for the sake of change. That would seem like a more pressing concern (in the realm of comic book fandom, at least).

#27 Posted by Sharkbite (291 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a good drawing and a good costume, but I do not believe it is a good fit for Catman.

For new52 Batman to sport a more tech-inspired suit is fine; he's actually wearing tech armor he's built. New52 Superman's more tech-inspired, armored suit is supposed to be Kryptonian Technology as well. Heck, even the armored Flash makes sense when you think that it is a scientist who built the suit to help himself endure the high speed travel of his Flash powers.

Catman is a far removed from a "technology" origin as possible. Deep in the jungles of Africa, the big game hunter turned native that lives with cats as part of the pride. Sporting that much metal and armor in his suit, however Cat-inspired, just seems more like high-tech guy with a fancy for cats, instead of the man who actually fights with the instinct and ferocity of an animal because he was basically trained by them. Catman needs to appear less tech-y and more nature-y.

In my opinion, we start at the root. Modify the cape just slightly, because that doesn't make too much sense either. It was always depicted as being a bit on the tattered side, as if it wasn't the work of the Supervillains Tights Store; let's play into that. Let's swap out "magic cape" with a mystically endowed Lion's pelt. Think a lion-fur rug draped over his shoulders. We can even have the mane portion gather around his shoulders for one of those barbarian-esque fur collars like Sabretooth used to sport.

I would ditch the cowl entirely. Catman doesn't really depend on it to hide his indentity, so it's just sort of a villain cliche. If we need a piece of headgear, I would go with perhaps a hooded continuation from the pelt where he could wear the lion's head as a hood, his face within the opened mouth. But even that I think is inferior to just showing off his shaggy hair, three day's stubble, sunken cheeks and peircing eyes. Catman is one guy that looks ten times tougher without the mask.

For the tights? Ditch 'em, but don't go with some weird armored suit. Get more of the jungle feel. Catman can actually go barechested, showing off the scars on his chest instead of wearing an emblem. Let him wear go uncovered, showing off the muscles, body hair, and a very battle-worn and scarred figure. Make him look dangerous, but almost wild in the process.

Keep the utility belt, but in a fashion more well-grounded in reality. A military type belt, a knife in a sheath, just some basic tools. Then for pants and boots, go more with something more safari/big game hunter-esque. Dirty Khaki or tan camo pants, combat boots, pockets on the sides, that sort of thing.

My vision of Catman in the new52 would be less like billionaire Batman and more like maybe Kraven the Hunter.

#28 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

He should look like the pure awesome that he is.

#29 Edited by SuperEnd (89 posts) - - Show Bio

he should come back as a gay love interest of Batman.

No seriously, i mean it. It could really be an interesting story

#30 Posted by lifeofvibe (3421 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of every New 52 superhero getting armored-up. Not a fan of Booth's designs either.

I'd much rather the Nu-52 adopt the Young Justice aesthetic of just updating the tights with more piping or more realistic materials. And the cape.

Then again, maybe he'll end up in the vein of Bronze Tiger and be a human cat....

#32 Posted by AverageInsanity (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Id like to see catman have more of like mutation like New 52 Copperhead

Maybe make his claws real.

I'd think he should have the cape. It would make him look more cat like. But he should definitely keep the mask.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.