inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The cult of Gah Lak Tus is growing strong and the Ultimates find they may not be able to stop them especially with a familiar villain leading them. Galactus comes to Earth and Sam Wilson is looking for a little revenge after Galactus destroyed Vision.

You don't have to read CATACLYSM #0.1 to know what's going on here, but it's highly recommended because it does tie into what Sam is going through and why he makes a very brash decision. He's the character readers will find themselves really rooting for as he tries to take on the cult himself. Writer Josh Fialkov takes pieces from his run on ULTIMATES and from his #0.1 issue to put together one heck of a story.

Behind the cult of Gah Lak Tus is one of my favorite Marvel characters: M.O.D.O.K. You can imagine my excitement to see this character make an appearance. Aside from Galactus coming to Earth, The Ultimates also have to deal with this cult, who seem to have the ability to brainwash anyone they come into contact with. This really adds to the drama since the team has two threats to deal with and both threats come off as being a little too tough to handle.

It's very nice to see artist Carmine Di Giandomenico working with Fialkov again. The two worked on the previous volume of ULTIMATES, His art style, along with Lorenzo Ruggiero on inks and Wil Quintana on colors, mesh well withe the writing. Giandomenico's art is a little unsettling and really fits the tone of the book well. His villains tend to have creepier looks on their faces and truly feel like menaces. Quintana's color work shines here, especially in explosion scenes where we see the oranges, yellows, and reds fade into each other. Incredibly wonderful work.

The cover by Mukesh Singh is incredibly awesome. Nick Fury looks incredibly tough, and the oversized gun harkens back to the 90s Marvel where everyone was holding super-gigantic guns. The color work and shading are beautiful on here as well. Without a doubt, you'll see this cover on our Best Covers of the Week list.

The Bad

A part of me wants this to tie a bit more into the main story line, but I love this whole side story with the cult so much. This is a fantastic tie in.

The Verdict

It's yet another hit from the CATACLYSM event. Between the main story, the Ultimate Spider-Man tie in, and this, this is turning out to be one hell of a good time, and better yet, there's still an Ultimate X-Men tie-in coming down the pipeline as well. Here, the Ultimates learn that Galactus isn't the only threat, and the stakes are raised as they face him as well as a cult led by one of my personal favorite villains. If you're an Ultimate fan, this is a must have issue, even if it is just a tie-in. Even if you're not reading the Ultimates, this is a book you should really check out because it's that entertaining.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

I absolutely despise Nick Fury Jr but man do I love Ultimate Nick Fury!

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By frozenedge2

Hopefully next issue we get Hulk vs Herc like it was hinted at in the last arc though that may actually be a bad idea. Danny Ketch is definitely my favorite Commando too

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

my only problem is that this references the Ultimate Vision arc which I didn't even know existed until yesterday and I thought that I had read everything from the UU and I can't find it anywhere

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@danhimself: You ain't missing much..............

Also I finally found a song that fits this entire arc perfectly and coincidentally my feelings on it

Loading Video...

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cool issue. I laughed when Galactus zapped Falcon

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@smart_dork_dude: yeah but it being the only thing from the UU that I haven't read has been driving me nuts

airbound_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Good to know that Reed Richard's City of Tomorrow is mentioned. 1000 year old high tech all abandoned to be exploited. The cover is also kick ass. It shows the consequences after Ultimates Disassembled and Fialkov gives us a very gray world where the heroes are often their own worst enemies. Creepy MODOCK too.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really feeling this. I am really only reading this story for Galactus.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.