'Hack/Slash' Movie News!

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Who doesn't love horror comics moving to the big screen? I know I sure think it's cool. Many of you may or may not be fans of the popular horror series Hack/Slash which is published by independent publishing company, Devil's Due. The comic revolves around a young girl, Cassie Hack, who hunts 'slashers,' or serial killers. Back in February G-Man had reported that the popular comic series would be seeing the big screen with actor Nick Principe playing the lead slasher.

According to a report by Firstshowing.net, Cassie may have finally taken the leaps that are required to hit the big screen. Rogue Pictures has chosen screenwriter Justin Marks (Street Fighter) to write the script, and first-time director Frederick Bond to direct the movie.

Bond's career so far has been directing commercials (and a short film) and this marks his feature debut. Several other directors, including newcomer Todd Lincoln, have been attached, but it looks like it's officially set to start shooting sometime this winter with Bond at the helm.

What could this mean for Hack/Slash? With a relatively unknown director, with little to no experience on large film projects combined with a screen writer who's last film did not receive many positive reviews, leaves me feeling a bit nervous. I feel as though with a solid creative team backing the product, Hack/Slash could be a successful horror film. Are you looking forward to the series making its  transition to the big screen?
#1 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

This has the hallmarks of doom.

#2 Posted by DarkCanuck (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Hack/Slash is one of the few comics I think that could actually make for a damn good movie. I doubt any movie made using the name will be any good, though one can hope.

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

why don't they just have the writers of the series write a movie?

#4 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" why don't they just have the writers of the series write a movie? "
You don't know how many countless times I have asked myself this.
#5 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

So Megan Fox for Hack? [This comment is meant to bait you.]

#6 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of the Hack/Slash series it's one of my top 10 series that I read. So of course I've been looking forward to seeing a movie made for quite some time. But I don't think having Justin Marks to write the script is a wise move and I don't  know why they just don't get the writers of the series to do it. Though I appreciate Justin's enthusiasm for these movies he wants to do with He-Man & that Green Arrow movie Supermax, which I think they axed btw lol. Buuuut his last movie Street Fighter was just God awful ,

And I knoooow some people * cough* Babs .... lol dislike Megan Fox, but I think she would just be perfect for Cassie Hack. As I recall she was actually interested in playing the character.

#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

OMFG! I hope it's an awesome movie, but whether or not it is I'll watch it because it's Hack/Slash

#8 Posted by DarkCanuck (34 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction: or Angelina Jolie. With Nick Cage or Lebeof as Vlad! :P
#9 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know, I could go for this. I agree with pixelized and babs, though. Bring Tim Seeley in to work with Justin Marks, at least. Please.

They might figure Justin Marks knows how to write in screenplay format, for the camera, and maybe he's actually very good, but Tim Seeley could certainly learn fast enough, and besides, he's a comic writer!! He's got that acquired skill built-in, and really well, too!!

So, does anyone know the time and location for the auditions?
#10 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually Megan Fox probably would make a good Cassie and maybe have Michael Clarke Duncan as Vlad, this movie could be fantastic if done right hopefully

#11 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir:
Yea Duncan is probably the best choice for Vlad.
#12 Posted by GUNSM1TH (5 posts) - - Show Bio

MEGAN FOX FOR CASSIE

#13 Posted by IGMAN (23 posts) - - Show Bio

i think rob zombie would be a great director for this flix.......

#14 Posted by skprgb (98 posts) - - Show Bio
oh yea with sherri moon zombie as Cassie lol
#15 Posted by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio
Christina Ricci ... or...

Lacey Chabert
#16 Posted by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio

And Ronnnie Coleman
#17 Posted by GUNSM1TH (5 posts) - - Show Bio

DANEEL HARRIS FOR CASSIE..

#18 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox or Kaniehtiio Horn as Cassie!!!! 8D

Ron Perlman, Michael Chicklis, Dato Bakhtadze, Rob Zombie, Larry Drake, Liam Neeson or Dwayne Johnson as Vlad!!!! 8D

Anyone else mentioned on this page gets honorable mention!!!!

Nick Cage as Vlad... ??!? Could be!!!! 8D
#19 Posted by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio

OK, the text didn't come through.  That was Jordana Brewster

#21 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

First time director sounds like a toss up

#22 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@CPTSteve said:
"
Christina Ricci ... or...

Lacey Chabert "
Gretchen Weiners.
#23 Edited by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@CPTSteve said:
"

And Ronnnie Coleman "

As big as Ronnie is muscle wise  he's not that tall at all lol. I met the guy he's like 5'10" or 5'9" lol
#24 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@IGMAN said:
"i think rob zombie would be a great director for this flix....... "

Zombie wouldn't be bad the problem is his films always have this dirty look like no one knows how to bathe lol. But he did do a comic mini-series that was pretty badass called Nails. You should check it out you might like it I know I did.
#25 Edited by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
"As big as Ronnie is muscle wise  he's not that tall at all lol. I met the guy he's like 5'10" or 5'9" lol "

Then I give you the 6'4" Quincy Taylor
#26 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@CPTSteve:
Now that' guy looks like Vlad.
#27 Posted by extrememage (184 posts) - - Show Bio

i just read volume 1 of hack/slash today and i completely love it. i can acc picture megan fox as cassie and i know a lot of folk on this site have an anti-megan fox thing going on but still 
shes a badass, pretty and she is apparently interested in the role. she may not be oscar winning but she can act no matter wot people say. 
i hope megan fox does get the role
#28 Posted by CharmCityComics (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Lacey Chabert

Olivia Munn

For Cassie,  
Rose McGowan 

lad 
Michael Clarke Duncan or Ving Rhames

#29 Edited by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

" @pixelized said:

" why don't they just have the writers of the series write a movie? "
You don't know how many countless times I have asked myself this. "
Seriously. It's almost as bad as FOX allowing Chris Claremont to write the movie adaptations of the X-men movies, but not allowing him to get any closer after that. Oh and if you are wondering... yes, his adaptations were a hell of a lot better than the actual movies! At least let these guys write up screenplays and see how it turns out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.