What do you think of her new codename?

#1 Posted by Woerlan (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one am terribly disappointed in Cass' new codename. That name does not fit her at all. I don't even find it cool.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a feeling Morrison was the one who came up with "Blackbat." After all, he was the one who came up with Emoticon-Man, right? Someone please tell me it was just a radio callsign she used in Batman, Inc. 6 and not her real codename.

There were so many other names he could have used. Heck, she could have picked up "Nightwing" if she wanted to. Everyone else on the team "ascended" and adopted other roles, why not take Nightwing? Maybe a combination? I think even "Nightbat" is better than what she's using. Ugh.

#2 Posted by Kairan1979 (16712 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it was a radio callsign, not a codename.
Could be cool if she becomes Nightwing.

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackbat? really? haha! that's awful!

#4 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

That's horrendous. 

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

-__- has it been stated that it's actually her codename and not just a call sign?

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by Icarusflies (12467 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Don't care for it either way. Goodness knows there have been worse.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Really hoping that's just a codename, cause when I read that in Batman Inc #6, I nearly lost it with laughter. Couldn't just go with Batgirl or Nightwing?

#8 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

I think BlackBat is a good name. I like the Black part because it associates with another of her names: the Beauty in Black. And, the bat just functions to keep her as a member of the Bat-family. Sure there could have been a better one but I will strongly oppose Nightwing from being one of them. If she had taken on Nightwing, it would have been an indication that Batgirl (her previous alias) was an inferior role to Nightwing, just like Nightwing is an inferior role to Batman. So I'm glad that catastrophe was averted.

#9 Posted by Jake Fury (18167 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have preferred her codename be Bo Peep and Batman refer to himself as Shepherd. Dick and Damian can change their monikers to Lost Sheep #1 & Lost Sheep #2, respectively.  
#10 Posted by Woerlan (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I've emailed the Batman Inc guys my feedback on the codename. If you hate it as much as I do, please do the same.

#11 Posted by johnny_spam (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackbat sounds weird because it is new I am sure Nightwing was weird when Dick Grayson took that name. The benefit here is the name is her's no one has had that name with time it could be so specific that no one could take it from her either. 

#12 Posted by Jake Fury (18167 posts) - - Show Bio

Who do we email if we like it?
#13 Posted by Mutant God (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess was close I guess Black Robin
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" Who do we email if we like it? "
ihavehorribletaste@gmail.net. 
Moderator Online
#15 Posted by Jake Fury (18167 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: That's my email address! 
#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: :O I actually got @replied!
Moderator Online
#17 Posted by Jake Fury (18167 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: I'm at home so it's working. 
#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: Ahhh. Yeah, I'd shoot myself if I have to use CV on an IE computer. 
Moderator Online
#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm tired of codenames being constrantly recycled. Even if it is a bit lame, at least it's something different for a change.

#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12586 posts) - - Show Bio

whats so bad about Black Bat. its not super awesome but its not bad.
#21 Edited by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing bad is her new costume which is not creative at all.Other than that i would rather be called  Blackbat than Batgirl or Red Robin ,I also fail to understand this Nightwing fetish.Nightwing as the Batmythos presents is an identity that symbolizes stepping out of someone's shadow.Making Cassandra Nightwing kinda defeats that purpose.

If i had a dollar for everyone saying that she should be Nightwing then i'd be a millionaire.

#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh and Morrison should'nt be bashed,he should be praised.Like everythingelse in his Batman run this Blackbat name is'nt just there for kicks

#23 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, it's not great, but it's better than Red Robin. Dick is Nightwing, so giving another person his title doesn't make sense.

Random person: But Fade, Dick is Batman now
(Fade shoots random person)
Fade: Bruce is Batman. Dick is Nightwing. Move along.

#24 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio

Noir Bat! Ding Bat. Fruit Bat. Cat Bat! Answers. 

Question. Names I genuinely think are better than Black Bat. 
#25 Posted by Billy Batson (57795 posts) - - Show Bio

ehh doesn't really sound that good

#26 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I knida like it, plus it's sort of an hommage to that old pulp superhero that came up around the same time as Batman/Detective Comics 1, who was called Black Bat.

But it does sound kinda silly...like Tim's the one who came up with it :P
"Hey Cass, so now that you're gonna join in the Bat-clan again, did you think about your new codename?"
"huh..no, can't I be Batgirl again, like there's already two Batmen.."
"Why not BLACK ROBIN?? :D"
"Err..no."
"Black Batman??"
"NO!!"
"Black Bat?"
"Alright! Alright already! Geez..."

#27 Edited by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:

Noir Bat! Ding Bat. Fruit Bat. Cat Bat! Answers. 
Question. Names I genuinely think are better than Black Bat. 

Really you wanna go out there and fight crime calling yourself fruit bat and ding bat? Cat bat is only gonna PISS Selina.
#28 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:  Exactly. 
#29 Posted by entropy_aegis (14471 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:
LOL.
#30 Posted by AssertingValor (5382 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

#31 Posted by daredevil21134 (10941 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL
#32 Posted by Woerlan (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting note pointed out by a good friend: Said out loud, the name sounds much better if you separate the words as "Black Bat" rather than "Blackbat." Unsure as to why that works, but I'm inclined to agree.

#33 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5384 posts) - - Show Bio

Weird

#34 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
I hope it was a radio callsign, not a codename.Could be cool if she becomes Nightwing.
#35 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait.........so it wasn't just a call sign? That's what she's actually going by...?

Moderator Online
#36 Edited by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

No worse than Red Robin.

I don't understand why some people are saying " Its better than Red Robin" lol, it's almost  the exact same thing.
#37 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@cascadeking09 said:

@aztek the lost said:

No worse than Red Robin.I don't understand why some people are saying " Its better than Red Robin" lol, it's almost the exact same thing.

do you see a Blackbat restaurant anywhere? I think not...

case closed

#38 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost:  Lol.
#39 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

All the good names are taken anyway. Could be worse. 

#40 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio

Call me crazy but I kinda like the codename Black bat .Ok I know of course the most bats are black and black bat sounds a littlebit stupid but what really matters is that CASSIE IS BACK !!!!!  And I really like her new look :D

#41 Posted by RaFonaRaFona (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't particularly care for the name, but I agree that they need to quit recycling all the others.
#42 Edited by Peregrine (163 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the new codename it fits her, and  Black Bat  was the codename of the amalgam universe Barbara Gordon, so it has kinda been a batgirl codename
#43 Posted by sputnik (210 posts) - - Show Bio

sigh, i think cass deserves a better name. but i wouldn't worry much, cuz cass can still carry that name and make it sound cool. 

#44 Posted by xgirl (137 posts) - - Show Bio

its not bad its just sound stupid
#45 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

@Woerlan:

So what kind of code name do you have in mind for her? I thought that 'Bat Blade' sounded cool but then I realized it should be a name of a tool instead of a code name.

#46 Posted by Eyelash30 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. Black Bat is generic and lazy for a codename. I would assessed Cassie to go by Nightengale, Lark, maybe if she was risky- Spoiler. She is a fox, maybe Foxbat. Shuriken?

For a girl raised under an air of violence with a mercenary father, an assassin/ninja mother and previously tied to the League of Assassins- Cassandra learns that violence and inhumanity comes down to power plays by arrogant circles and conspiracists. I figured she'd give up the costumes and drama to considerate legal practices; lawyer, banker, possibly a war contractor.

#47 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than Red Robin but thats not saying much. Both Cass and Tim need and deserve new names

#48 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well start color coding the Bat Family seeing as there are so many of them now.

Bruce: Grey Bat

Dick: Blue Bat

Damian: Green Bat

Tim: Red Bat

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.