Follow

Cassandra Cain

Character » Cassandra Cain appears in 874 issues.

The daughter of two notorious assassins, David Cain and Lady Shiva, Cassandra left her father as a child after she killed a man and saw his pain and fear while he died. After saving Commissioner Gordon's life, she became the new Batgirl with Batman and Oracle's blessing, and was later adopted by Bruce Wayne. She would later give the role of Batgirl to her friend Stephanie Brown, and became Black Bat. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she takes the alias of Orphan.

The Return of Cassandra Cain?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By The_Ghostshell

Looks like Christmas has come early for Batman fans, as news of his April 10th, 2010 return spreads like wildfire. Must be nice when you know your favorite character will eventually return no matter what. Captain America, Superman, Hal Jordan, Thor, we all knew they wouldn't stay dead, and or missing, forever. But what happens when your favorite character isn't a mainstream iconic symbol? News and speculation of their return is practically non-existent and even if they do return, how long will it last, and will they even be the same character? With the announcement that Bruce Wayne will in fact becoming back to us, I decided to track down any and all information regarding the return of MY favorite character, Batgirl. Oh my bad, Cassandra Cain. Who apparently no longer had any desire to carry on the Bat-Mantle after her "adoptive" father disappeared.

The last time we saw Cass she was helping her best, and pretty much only, friend, Stephine Brown. When all of the sudden she decided to up and quit. Stating that she was loyal to the man, not the symbol (which seems to be a contradiction from her previous position).

News of Cassandra's return has been limited, but I did manage to track down several encouraging pieces of information. Lets start with the "Note to the Editor" which appeared at the end of Batgirl #2.

A very "big" way? 2010? Could the DCU have plans to involve Cassandra Cain in Bruce Wayne's return? Let the speculation begin. Although I found this snippet encouraging, I wanted more. Sadly I have yet to track down any recent developments, however I did come across a couple other interesting quotes. During an August 20, 2009 interview with current Batgirl writer, Brian Q. Miller, Newsarama asked the question: 

One of the scenes was Cassandra handing over the Batgirl costume. What does that scene mean?

To which Miller responded - 

We'll get into what Cassandra has been doing at a later point. But we also didn't want to immediately start with the very muddy waters of several Batgirls right away in the first issue. But we'll get into what Cassandra did when she left.

But you've got Cassandra who, in the previous Batgirl run, it's her redemption. By the end of the run, she was on the slate to be adopted by Bruce Wayne. So finally, she's put her issues with her bad dad to bed and she's on the road to recovery through Bruce Wayne. And what happens when that rug comes out from under her? What happens when you've finally found your place and your perfect father figure, and you're accepted, and then the person responsible for that is gone? That's obviously going to send you into a little bit of a tailspin. It's a curve ball.

It appears as if Miller does in fact intend to reveal what Cassandra Cain was doing during her absence.

(I can not verify the authenticity of the following)
     I also came across the blog of Funnybook Babylon, which had posted a Q&A session with Dan Didio,  Senior Vice President — Executive Editor of DC Comics, taken during the DC Nation Toronto Fan Expo, August 29th, 2009.   

Final updates - Batgirl moving into the old Batcave with Babs Gordon, big Cass Cain storyline in 2010 where she will not be a villain

Wow, really? Batgirl ( Stephanie Brown) moving into the old Batcave with Barbara Gordon? Why not, nobody else is using it. Cassandra coming back, and not as a villain? It seems as if Cassandra Cain is posed to make a big return in 2010, the same year Bruce Wayne returns. Coincidence? What are your thoughts? Do you think fans have warmed up to the new Batgirl? Are you interested in how Cassandra will return? Will she once again take up the mantle of Batgirl?
     We'll be Back
     We'll be Back
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I still see nothing wrong with there being multiple Batgirls. Or Batmen for that matter. I have no good guess though, I only recently have been reading bat titles. It definately seems like Oracle and Steph are pretty cozy in the Batcave though....

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Final Arrow

Three words ABOUT F@CKING TIME

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Final Arrow said:
    " Three words ABOUT F@CKING TIME "
    Church.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

O happy day!

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Ryonslaught

Ok, I'm going to restrain my self and not type in all bold or jump around the room in complete hysteria knowing that my beloved cassie will make a triumphant return BUT i will say THANK GOOD GOD!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By vuviper

Cool, I'm excited to see Cassie come back, I don't think I care too much if she's still Batgirl, I just want her back. Plus, Damien wants to meet her, lol.

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vuviper

Who is that art by?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Nighthunter

Cassandra is by far my favorite Batgirl

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @vuviper said:
    " Who is that art by? "
    Thats not an actual cover to anything. Just a Micheal Turner clone by the looks of it.
    vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vuviper
    @Gambler: Yeah, the Batman looked very Michael Turner, but I don't recognize the signature at all.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Hamz
    @Gambler: Funny thing is in that issue Damian mentions wishing he could have met Cassandra instead, and then that ending happened....is it possible?
    Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

YES! CASSIE IS BACK! XD

But.. I dont want Stephanie dead D: 

Steph needs to be there with Cassie is back xP I loved their friendship with each other lol I found it really amusing when Cassandra would knock Steph out just so she wouldnt get hurt, which happened pretty much every time they teamed up. lol

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh great now i have to find all the old back stories and read over her!! XD 

glad she is back

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Final Arrow
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty

Man, that's nasty art.  It looks like red mist coming out of her head.  And HOW can she survive a gunshot to the head at point blank range?!  She shouldn't even be breathing, let alone talking...

Anyway, I hate to be the party pooper, but I doubt they'd make such a big deal about a new Batgirl and a new outfit only to kill her off after just a couple of issues.
    captainrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By captainrage

I'm actually excited. I haven't been excited about anything in my adult life, and now I'm excited about a comic. Tragic.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Final Arrow said:
    " @Gambler said:

"
    Tears of joy man tears of joy XD. "
    your so full of sh** at home your all oh i dont mind the new BG but here your all manly pfft XD 
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hamz
    @jloneblackheart: In fairness Dick was actually living up to his name in that issue, he seemed way too angry over what transpired. That being said you may be right, perhaps it was just a minor injury to put her on the sideline in favour of Cassandra. Plus Damian mentioned something that seems to hint to this as well.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DEGRAAF

i hope she comes back as a stronger (not physically) and more prominent character that really makes a name for her self
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By danhimself

they need to give her a series of her own where she may not be Batgirl but it could still follow her and her travels

Duhr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Duhr

We won't be seeing much more of Cassandra in Batgirl anymore. 

" While we'll have another passing reference/flashback Cassandra soon, I'm leaving the rest of Cassandra's story to whichever lucky duck gets to write her elsewhere in 2010."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23337

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Duhr said:

" We won't be seeing much more of Cassandra in Batgirl anymore. 

" While we'll have another passing reference/flashback Cassandra soon, I'm leaving the rest of Cassandra's story to whichever lucky duck gets to write her elsewhere in 2010."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23337

"

Nice. Thanks for digging this up. I'm glad Cassandra's big return will not be connected with the current Batgirl series (nor do I seriously believe Spoiler is dead). Hopefully she gets her own title again, this time without the Batgirl mantle. Both Batman/Bruce Wayne and Cassandra Cain are scedule to return in big ways in 2010. Hopefully they are connected.

Cassandra's exit itself was brief and a little nebulous on purpose for two reasons. One – there were plans in the works for Cassandra that did not involve this book that no one wanted to spoil. Two – This isn't Cassandra's book. I love Cassandra. She's a tragic hero to the highest degree. But this book is about Babs and Steph. Giving her such a short scene might make Cassandra fans mad, but it leaves a lot left to be explored when she graces the pages of the DCU once again.

This makes me happy. Sounds like they have an actual plan for her this time.
    Raziel3024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Raziel3024

I personally can see her adopting a new identity to fight crime. Namely because she might not want to be Batgirl for anyone else but Bruce Wayne, but might want to continue helping . That and she might not want to humiliate Stephanie by taking away her new role when she was only Robin for about five seconds.

On a personal note I'd love to see her animated.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont mind Steph, but i absolutely love and miss Cass.
    i will be keeping my eye on this.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngelFrost

I'd love to see Cassandra Cain  (:
    and establish herself as her own character, outside of being 'Batgirl'.  So she can give Steph a chance.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By danhimself

bring her back as the new Nightwing

No Caption Provided
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#30  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @danhimself said:
    "bring her back as the new Nightwing

"
    What does Dick go back too after Bruce returns...maybe he'll become the new, new Black Mask?!?! O_O
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danhimself
    @War Killer:  well there are 5 guys on earth named Green Lantern so why can't there be two Batmen
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#32  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @danhimself said:
    " @War Killer:  well there are 5 guys on earth named Green Lantern so why can't there be two Batmen "
    Bruce Wayne is Batman, that's that. GL's are cops, Batman's something more.
    dstorres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By dstorres
    @vuviper:  In case no one ever answered the question, the artists name is Chasen Grieshop.  He freely admits to learning to draw from Fathom issues.  He visits various comicons throughout the US (I usually catch him at Wizard World Chicago).
    buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By buns134

I think she is the one Ra's Al Ghul wants to have a child with TIM  honestly!

vuviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vuviper
    @dstorres said:
    " @vuviper:  In case no one ever answered the question, the artists name is Chasen Grieshop.  He freely admits to learning to draw from Fathom issues.  He visits various comicons throughout the US (I usually catch him at Wizard World Chicago). "
    Thanks dude
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Eyz

Come on DC, don't let us down!!
    There's no problem in having two Batgirls, if anything it could actually make up some pretty fun and original team-up between long time friends Steph & Cassie!

Though I admit, I like that idea of having Nightwing/Cassie! :P

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By danhimself

Red Robin #17 has Cassandra's return!!!!!!

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Primmaster64

Yes she did, its time for her to meet Damian and Jason, and for me to have some laughs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.