Follow

Cassandra Cain

Character » Cassandra Cain appears in 879 issues.

The daughter of two notorious assassins, David Cain and Lady Shiva, Cassandra left her father as a child after she killed a man and saw his pain and fear while he died. After saving Commissioner Gordon's life, she became the new Batgirl with Batman and Oracle's blessing, and was later adopted by Bruce Wayne. She would later give the role of Batgirl to her friend Stephanie Brown, and became Black Bat. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she takes the alias of Orphan.

Recommend Cassandra Cain Stories

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By saoakden

Can anyone recommend any good Cassandra Cain stories to me? I saw this character in Gates of Gotham and to me she seems like a pretty cool character. So I want to read more about this character, so if anyone can recommend any stories, runs or series she was in, I would greatly appreciate it.

maxiliano_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hello there, Cassie's one of my favorite character ever and here's my favorite stories about her:

-Gates of Gotham (you already read it, aren't you?)

-Batgirl v1 (you gotta read all the issues man, none of them really bored me.)

-Batgirl miniseries (2008)

-Red Robin #25 (Tim teaming up with Cass in hong-kong)

-Batman and the Outsiders. (especially the stories after Batman died and Cass take over as the leader)

katmachiavelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hello there, Cassie's one of my favorite character ever and here's my favorite stories about her:

-Gates of Gotham (you already read it, aren't you?)

-Batgirl v1 (you gotta read all the issues man, none of them really bored me.)

-Batgirl miniseries (2008)

-Red Robin #25 (Tim teaming up with Cass in hong-kong)

-Batman and the Outsiders. (especially the stories after Batman died and Cass take over as the leader)

Funny, most of these are all considered to be the worst Cass Cain reads in the history of the character. The 2008 Batgirl miniseries, for example, was reviled for being extremely poorly written with nonsensical explanations as justifications for very, very poor decisions (i.e. having someone who has zero competency in ANY language take ESL (English as a SECOND language) classes as an explanation for how Cass can operate a computer, instead of, y'know, making basic associations and figuring it our herself). Gates of Gotham sported a bleh Cass cameo, and her appearances as Black Bat were by no means anything to write home about. Of all the stories you listed, only Batgirl v1 is anything noteworthy (as it's her entire 73-issue comics run), and only one or two issues of her in Batman and the Outsiders can be called good with a straight face.

If you're looking for genuinely good Cass Cain stories, I'd say her initial appearances in No Man's Land, followed by the entire Batgirl run written by Andersen Gabrych. Gabrych is a really, REALLY good writer. Batgirl Volume 1 is pretty much the whole run, but if you're looking for a really good trade paperback to get, try out Batgirl: Kicking Assassins. It has some better art thanks to Ale Garza (as opposed to Damion Scott's more cartoony style), and the writing is gorgeous, a great testament to how Gabrych knocks the socks off of most DC writers today. It's also noteworthy for being one of the few Batgirl stories to really deal with actual womens' issues in any capacity (as opposed to Barbara Gordon's first-world problems), all of which were isolated to Cassandra's stories. Take that, Gail Simone.

It also sports Deathstroke and Ravager, another testament to how - unlike Babs - Cass actually had a legit rogues gallery filled with noteworthy villains. If you want to see some of Cass's original villains - who are just as good as the regular Bat-rogues and, of course, beat the stupid out of Barbara's why-should-we-care baddies - check out Alpha's stories starting in Batgirl #35. Alpha was a really kickass character, the whole brief amnesia thing aside. He shows up again toward the end of the Batgirl run, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.