Follow

Cassandra Cain

Character » Cassandra Cain appears in 878 issues.

The daughter of two notorious assassins, David Cain and Lady Shiva, Cassandra left her father as a child after she killed a man and saw his pain and fear while he died. After saving Commissioner Gordon's life, she became the new Batgirl with Batman and Oracle's blessing, and was later adopted by Bruce Wayne. She would later give the role of Batgirl to her friend Stephanie Brown, and became Black Bat. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she takes the alias of Orphan.

Black Bat (Cass) in CONVERGENCE

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm so hyped for Cass, she my baby.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so hyped for Cass, she my baby.

I'm very hyped as well...and she's mine too :)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@theheaven_guardian10: @bat_girl_cc: well...Cass Cain have become villain and bad guy, so will you guys ever consider it canon or you guys ignore and pretend it never occur ?

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10: @bat_girl_cc: well...Cass Cain have become villain and bad guy, so will you guys ever consider it canon or you guys ignore and pretend it never occur ?

Cass was never really one of the "bad-guys"...she was drugged by Deathstroke.

Also, i never ignore anything, unless it's:

1) extremely bad-writting

2) there's no decent explanation, as to why stuff happens the way it happens.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bat_girl_cc: so you don't consider Cass Cain being drugged by Deathstroke a bad writing ? Okay if you say it is not then who am I to argue right. I have to agree with you :)

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@boynerdgeek said:

@bat_girl_cc: so you don't consider Cass Cain being drugged by Deathstroke a bad writing ? Okay if you say it is not then who am I to argue right. I have to agree with you :)

No, because what Cass did was later explained by the fact that she was being drugged by Slade...but i do consider Slade managing to drugg Cass, bad-writting, though...but that may possibly be my bias talking :)

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bat_girl_cc: Same here I think that part was a bit weak. Cass is little to wicked for that. But like you I'm bias on the subject. Just happy my Cass is back.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc: was she all ready drugged when she killed Shiva in the End of her first series or did this happened later?

Technically Slade should able to do this, he has enhanced intellect, physical attributes and also some kind of movement prediction ability. But I didn't read this storyline (where do I find it is not in one of the usual Batfamily titles) so I can't say if it was badly written or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is convergence exactly? Does the storyline take place somewhere in the far future or something where Cass is Black bat?

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@bat_girl_cc: was she all ready drugged when she killed Shiva in the End of her first series or did this happened later?

It happened later.

Cass started doing weird stuff, and the explanation came later.

She joined the League of Assassins, killed alot of people, shot her father (David Cain), tried to have Tim Drake joining her, the 2 fought on Robin #150 - Hard Answersand it continued on Robin #151 - Harder QuestionsCass tried to kill Supergirl and almost did it, onSupergirl #14 - Specialetc. It was finally revealed that she was being drugged by Deathstroke onTeen Titans #43 - Titans East Part 1

Technically Slade should able to do this, he has enhanced intellect, physical attributes and also some kind of movement prediction ability. But I didn't read this storyline (where do I find it is not in one of the usual Batfamily titles) so I can't say if it was badly written or not.

Cass has dodged sniper-bullets before, after they've been fired, and without looking..."taking Cass from a distance" as Slade put it, its only not PIS, if we ignore Cassandra's capabillities.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

What is convergence exactly? Does the storyline take place somewhere in the far future or something where Cass is Black bat?

Convergence its directly connected with Futures End, and with Earth-2 Worlds End, and after its finished, a new status quo will be set for the DC Universe.

Although, the changes, may not be very big, and chances are, they won't.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc: You could also say that Cass beeing able to dodge Sniper Bullets is PIS, since this shouldn't be possible for non superpowered human being.

And she has no "spider sense" she can't dodge if she didn't see the shooter.

And Deathstroke was able to take down most of the new Teen Titans in the his original appearance, therefore it is absolutely believable that he can find a way to take out Cass.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@aahz said:

@bat_girl_cc: You could also say that Cass beeing able to dodge Sniper Bullets is PIS, since this shouldn't be possible for non superpowered human being.

But the thing is, she does stuff on that level of crazy, consistently!

Personally, i don't call it PIS, when the showing in question, its consistent with the characters other showings and abillities.

It shouldn't be possible for non-superpowered human beings, to tank bullets without even flinching...or to afford being stabbed on her chest and keep fighting until the fight was finished...or to survive a huge fall from a high building, without as much as a little pain in the head...or to tank huge explosions at point blank...or to stop her own heart from beating and restarting it, at will...or to K.O a guy with super-human, durabillity with one punch...or to hurt a bullet-proof guy, in Hand-to-Hand...or to open a huge hole on a prison brick-wall...or to karate-chop a sword in half...or to punch through 3-inch-quartz...or to punch through bullet-proof-glass...or to kick hard enough to break steel...or to dodge lasers...or to dodge bullets after they've been fired...or to (literally) out-race bullets...or to move as blur...etc, you name it, she has done it all, and she does it consistently!

So far, Cass has 355 appearences, and even if we (just) count the crazy stuff that she has done, we see that its more than consistent.

There was even a instance where Cass (as Black Bat) dodged a bullet at point blank, in front of Red Robin, and on Tim Drake's thoughts, it was stated: "this is vacation for Cass"

She's no Karate Kid, but besides him, she's the closest that you can ever get, to be an unbeatable non-superpowered-fighter.

PIS would be her owning kryptonians in combat, which, actually has happened quite a few times IIRC, but that should be considered PIS.

Just out of my mind, right now:

Supergirl #14 - SpecialCass beats Supergirl in close combat, although that ocasion had context, since Cass was using 2 red-solar-radiation-swords, which were weakning Supergirl.

Batgirl #41 - Body LanguageCass oneshots a giant monster that was smacking Superboy around

Supergirl #63 - The Best MedicineCass easly hands a Bizarro-Supergirl version, her own a$$.

Superboy #85 - Silent, But DeadlyCass manages to get past Superboy's force-field, and she even hurts him, with a mere karate-chop.

And she has no "spider sense" she can't dodge if she didn't see the shooter.

No she doesn't have "spider-sense"...but everyone knows that even in real life, a trained person, has more acurate senses than a non-trained person...obviously, stuff like this gets "amped" in comics...a comic book martial artist, has way more acurate senses, than the most...Batman has dodged arrows, while having his back turned to the archer...Cass has "sensed" Deathstroke coming, and she dodged his attack, while the others that were with her, couldn't...Lady Shiva has "sensed" The Shadow Dragon, attacking her, while he was going invisible...its the same reason why they can fight multiple opponents, even when they are being attacked, from all sides...its like a 6th sense.

And Deathstroke was able to take down most of the new Teen Titans in the his original appearance, therefore it is absolutely believable that he can find a way to take out Cass.

I think that a well written Deathstroke should be able to beat any street-leveler he faces, although, Cassandra's abillities, justify, his claims, when he basically said that he can't beat Cass in a straight up fight.

As for the way that he managed to drugg her, well i see it as a forced excuse for bad-writting, but whatever...what its done, done it is.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz:

Furthermore, not only do Cassandra's other showings and abillities justify that feat, but also the feat in question justify's itself:

No Caption Provided

If you look at the scan above, with attention, you'll see that Cass was actually trained (by David Cain) to do that, as we can see both Cass doing it in "real-time" but also a flashback of her time with David Cain, when she also used to do it.

Also note, that David Cain trained Cass pretty much since birth to be Ra's All Ghul perfect body-guard, and he brought her with him to see one of his kills, when she was 5! which means that Cass was doing stuff like this, as well as both dodging and tanking bullets (i have scans) since a little child.

Like i said, stuff like this its standard for Cass.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc: For me is most of the stuff you see her do in these Flaschback sence also "PIS" (like beating up Bronze Tiger as a child or (nearly) breaking her fathers thumb as a baby).Because this is stuff that a non superpowered Char just shoulden't be able to do. You can't train to dodge a bullet at this distance simply because it is impossible.

I think that a well written Deathstroke should be able to beat any street-leveler he faces, although, Cassandra's abillities, justify, his claims, when he basically said that he can't beat Cass in a straight up fight.

To be honest, I think he should be able to beat her in a straight up fight, she might be the better martial artist, but this but he has his meta human abilitys.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@aahz said:

@bat_girl_cc: For me is most of the stuff you see her do in these Flaschback sence also "PIS" (like beating up Bronze Tiger as a child or (nearly) breaking her fathers thumb as a baby).Because this is stuff that a non superpowered Char just shoulden't be able to do. You can't train to dodge a bullet at this distance simply because it is impossible.

To be honest, I think he should be able to beat her in a straight up fight, she might be the better martial artist, but this but he has his meta human abilitys.

Comic-book physic-laws =/= real life physic-laws.

Comic-book people >>>>> real life people.

Also, she was born and raised to be unstopable (as a human can be, that is) so her being able to perform crazy stuff, is to be expected.

And her abillities are consistent, so i don't consider them PIS.

" To be honest, I think he should be able to beat her in a straight up fight, she might be the better martial artist, but this but he has his meta human abilitys. "

Cass has performed tons of meta-human feats...speed-feats, stricking-power feats, durabillity feats, etc.

She definitely should be able to at least keep up with him, regardless of his enhancements.

And the fact is, in 1-on-1 fights, the record between them, its 0-3-0 (3 stallemates).

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cass has performed tons of meta-human feats...speed-feats, stricking-power feats, durabillity feats, etc.

But she isn't meta-human, so she shouldn't have those feats in my opinion. All she has is body reading and martial arts training. This shouldn't allow to perform this feats. And you never see Shiva (who is close to Cass in terms of martial arts skills and was better than her in the beginning of her series) or similar skilled martial Artists do stuff like this.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@aahz said:

@bat_girl_cc said:

But she isn't meta-human, so she shouldn't have those feats in my opinion. All she has is body reading and martial arts training. This shouldn't allow to perform this feats. And you never see Shiva (who is close to Cass in terms of martial arts skills and was better than her in the beginning of her series) or similar skilled martial Artists do stuff like this.

1) Look at Karate Kid...the guy is supposed to be "just" peak-human, and yet, he consistently owns Superman-level characters while only going Hand-to-Hand against them, regardless of their abillities, besides their over the top, super human stats.

And he does it, due to his skill.

2) Nope, Lady Shiva is not close to Cass in terms of martial arts skills...she's way better!...(the best according to Batman himself)...Cass is very good herself, but when she lost her abillity to Body-Read, she got easly defeated by both Batman and Lady Shiva, its her Body-Reading (which also amps her overall speed) that allows her to hang with the best and beat the best, in pure Hand-to-Hand.

Without her Body-Reading, Cass is still better than the most, but still far from a top-tier in pure-skill.

3) Again, we can't be so "realistic" regarding comic-books, because by real-life standards, Batman would die every night, since its impossible for a normal human to jump from a building to another, which is one of the most basic things that all Bat-family members do.

The thing is, while street-levelers are much closer to real-life human-limits, than characters like Superman or Wonder Woman, even them, can't have such boundaries, otherwise, it would be very hard, to tell a proper super-hero story.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@aahz:

Also, regarding our debate of Cass vs Deathstroke (about who's more capable than who)...there's one thing that i forgot to mention, and that i think that its important, its that much like Batman, Cass also holds-back alot, due to her morals.

For instances, on Batgirl #62 - The Hood, Part Three: Dead Weight

Cass stated that she could have stopped Deathstroke, Lady Shiva, The Pinguim, and all of the others, if she wantted to

No Caption Provided

(stopping them, like in, killing them)

Cass didn't do it, due to her morals.

And at the time, Cass had already faced all of them, on many ocasions, so i'd say that she knew what she was saying (or in this case, thinking, since she was dreaming).

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Look at Karate Kid...the guy is supposed to be "just" peak-human, and yet, he consistently owns Superman-level characters while only going Hand-to-Hand against them, regardless of their abillities, besides their over the top, super human stats.

In my opinion he is even worse than Cass in this regard.

Again, we can't be so "realistic" regarding comic-books, because by real-life standards, Batman would die every night, since its impossible for a normal human to jump from a building to another, which is one of the most basic things that all Bat-family members do.

Yeah, but for me the stuff Cass does is in my opinion even unrealistic by Batman Comic standards.

It is similar to the Damian vs. Ubu fight in "Son of Batman", in non of the animated series I ever had a problem when a Robin took down an adult, but this fight just looks total unrealistic to me.

its her Body-Reading (which also amps her overall speed) that allows her to hang with the best and beat the best, in pure Hand-to-Hand.

But it shouldn't allow her to out ran an Batarang, punch a hole in a Wall (because lock picking wasn't included in her awesome training) or dodge Bullets fired from five diverent shooters at close range.

And is thin the quote in this picture is more about thst she should have killed them, than about her ability to beat them in a fight.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@aahz said:

In my opinion he is even worse than Cass in this regard.

Again, we can't be so "realistic" regarding comic-books, because by real-life standards, Batman would die every night, since its impossible for a normal human to jump from a building to another, which is one of the most basic things that all Bat-family members do.

Yeah, but for me the stuff Cass does is in my opinion even unrealistic by Batman Comic standards.

It is similar to the Damian vs. Ubu fight in "Son of Batman", in non of the animated series I ever had a problem when a Robin took down an adult, but this fight just looks total unrealistic to me.

its her Body-Reading (which also amps her overall speed) that allows her to hang with the best and beat the best, in pure Hand-to-Hand.

But it shouldn't allow her to out ran an Batarang, punch a hole in a Wall (because lock picking wasn't included in her awesome training) or dodge Bullets fired from five diverent shooters at close range.

And is thin the quote in this picture is more about thst she should have killed them, than about her ability to beat them in a fight.

" In my opinion he is even worse than Cass in this regard. "

I actually don't like him very much, because what he does (unlike Cass) puts him above street-level! which a peak-human shouldn't be.

What he does, its too much for a human, even by comic-book-standards, although i can't deny his skill and capabillities, since he does it consistently.

" Yeah, but for me the stuff Cass does is in my opinion even unrealistic by Batman Comic standards. "

Batman himself does crazy stuff too, its just not as consistent as it is on Cassandra's case.

" It is similar to the Damian vs. Ubu fight in "Son of Batman", in non of the animated series I ever had a problem when a Robin took down an adult, but this fight just looks total unrealistic to me. "

The difference is, in the comics, Damian has never displayed that level of skill, ever!...even Tim Drake has consistently owned him.

While Cassandra's feats are consistent, and she has been born and raised to be the best assassin possible, for a human that is.

Bronze Tiger while being a top-tier figher himself, stated that only the entire league of assassins could've beaten Shiva, and that she wasn't even nearly as good as she is now, indicating that there's a considerable gap difference in skill between them, and Cass on her prime defeated Lady Shiva twice, so Cass beating Bronze Tiger, even while still being a child, isn't something too-far-fetched...alhough, yes, Bronze Tiger jobbed there, he should always be portrayed as being a serious threat, even though Cass was consistently portrayed as being on a higher level, and rightfully so, in my opinion.

" But it shouldn't allow her to out ran an Batarang, punch a hole in a Wall (because lock picking wasn't included in her awesome training) or dodge Bullets fired from five diverent shooters at close range. "

We got to know most of Cassandra's training through flash-backs and statements, it was stuff that could have been more deeply adressed, i think, bottom-line is, a considerable part of her training was off-panel, (too many capabillities, i guess :) ) which means that we can't know for sure, the full extent of her training.

As for the rest, its a matter of opinion really...its the old "should or should not a comic-book-character do this, or do that" debate...i know that there are others who think the same as you, and there are others who think the same as me...besides, this has already been adressed, we're going in circles here.

" And is thin the quote in this picture is more about thst she should have killed them, than about her ability to beat them in a fight. "

Actually, Cass has some gadgets on her belt, but she almost never uses it...Cass wantting to kill or not, the only thing that would change, would be her morals, her way to operate, would remain the same, Body-Read her opponents(s), and then, punch, kick, nerve-strike, etc.

what i'm saying is, when Cass stated that she could have stopped them, she means like in a fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.