Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4389 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

would you support a spidey/carol relationship

• 61 results
    Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

No, I'm not a fan of Spider-Man hooking up with a superheroine, Dan Slott said it best as to why:

1. It takes something out of the soap opera column of Peter Parker's life-- and puts it onto the Spider-Man side.

Part of the fun of a monthly Spider-Man title is watching the juxtaposition of Peter's normal life and his Spider-Man life. If you borrow such a big piece from the Peter-side and place it on the Spidey-side, you really don't leave that much for Peter to do.

2. It makes Spidey's super hero life a little easier too-- by having such easy, quick access to another hero.

3. Other continuities/dimensions/titles having such a large effect on Peter Parker's personal life is, at times, a little to "inside baseball" and intimidating to both new readers and fans who JUST want to read about Spidey in his own book.

It robs a lot of the dramatic elements of a Spider-Man story if you pair him up with Carol Danvers, not to mention romances in comics are supposed to be designed to make both characters better. I don't see a whole lot in the Peter/Carol that makes both of them better, more interesting characters.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@youknowwhattodo: The thing is that you have to look at it from this perspective. What if Carol Danvers was never a super heroine? Sometimes, you have to look past the superpowers and focus on the character's personality because it opens the doors to stories that has yet to be explored like Peter's first encounter with Mystique and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants during Mystiques early years as a terrorist. This is the type of story that would hold the readers interest in connection to Peter x Carol.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: The thing is that you have to look at it from this perspective. What if Carol Danvers was never a super heroine? Sometimes, you have to look past the superpowers and focus on the character's personality because it opens the doors to stories that has yet to be explored like Peter's first encounter with Mystique and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants during Mystiques early years as a terrorist. This is the type of story that would hold the readers interest in connection to Peter x Carol.

I agree that a character's personality plays a big part in determining the types of characters that would be best suited for a romantic interest. However, when you look at the personalities of Peter Parker and Carol Danvers, what makes more sense, for them to be romantic partners or for them to be platonic like brother and sister. To be honest, I think that it would be more beneficial towards Peter Parker's character for the latter to occur and have it be the MCU's version of Dick Grayson and Donna Troy.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By darthfury78
    @youknowwhattodo said:
    @darthfury78 said:

I agree that a character's personality plays a big part in determining the types of characters that would be best suited for a romantic interest. However, when you look at the personalities of Peter Parker and Carol Danvers, what makes more sense, for them to be romantic partners or for them to be platonic like brother and sister. To be honest, I think that it would be more beneficial towards Peter Parker's character for the latter to occur and have it be the MCU's version of Dick Grayson and Donna Troy.

The problem is that Carol and Peter do not see each other as brother and sister. It would be like saying that Mary Jane or Felicia Hardy consider Peter Parker like a brother. I personally feel that Marvel killed the chemistry between Peter and Carol when Kelly Sue said that they are like brother and sister based on how bad their first date was. I personally feel that the current writer for Captain Marvel is not a fan of Carol in a relationship with Spider-Man at all. It was said that Kelly Sue never wanted to use Spider-Man in the first issue of Captain Marvel until former editor Stephen Wacker asked her to use him in a cameo. In addition, Wacker also asked Kelly Sue to write the 2-part Avenging Spider-Man story with Peter x Carol(which took place after the first issue of Captain Marvel) in a story that is now forgettable as the first date issue between them was. While I never expect Peter x Carol to have a romantic relationship immediately after the first date, I do expect them to work together as often as he does with the Black Cat. And Carol would have been Peter's first super powered heroine relationship with a military background. That might have made things interesting. I would rather see Peter x Carol as close friends before the option of a romantic relationship pops up. But that was before the Enemy from within storyline that led to the loss of Carol's memories a second time. Thus, Carol may no longer have the developing feelings that she had for Peter Parker. Thus, Carol's out of the loop for the time being until Spider-Man teams up with her once again. But the only other super heroine who does have an interest for Spider-Man(besides Carol) is Jessica Drew....

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78: Um...no, Mary Jane and Felicia Hardy have been Peter's love interests for decades, Carol has only been seen as a potential love interest for a brief time and it never got serious (key word potential), so it's very easy to see them see each other as brother and sister. I'm not against Peter Parker having a super-heroine as a love interest but it should be one who is not as well known, not super-powerful and more importantly a super-heroine who is a romantic love interest for Peter Parker NOT Spider-Man.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By darthfury78

@youknowwhattodo said:

@darthfury78: Um...no, Mary Jane and Felicia Hardy have been Peter's love interests for decades, Carol has only been seen as a potential love interest for a brief time and it never got serious (key word potential), so it's very easy to see them see each other as brother and sister. I'm not against Peter Parker having a super-heroine as a love interest but it should be one who is not as well known, not super-powerful and more importantly a super-heroine who is a romantic love interest for Peter Parker NOT Spider-Man.

I agree with your sentiment. However, Mary Jane has moved on and Slott has made Felicia Hardy into a super villain. I will say that the super heroines that I've talked about are a strong match for Peter Parker. Of those are Jessica Drew, Psylocke, Carol Danvers, and Jennifer Walters. I have no problem seeing Peter in a relationship with a super heroine as it opens the doors to the kinds of stories that has yet to be told of which their joint partnership could be used. The idea that Peter can't be in a relationship with a well known super heroine is simply limiting the kinds of stories that can be told. Same goes with non super powered women like Betty Brant or Natasha Romanov. With regards to Jennifer Walters, her human form doesn't have any known superpowers other than to turn into the She-Hulk to access them. Thus, Jennifer's human form is non-super powered, except to turn into the She-Hulk. I could see her humanside and Peter Parker getting along very well as more than friends. As the She-Hulk, however, Jennifer couldn't hold a relationship if it kills her as she loves to pick up guys she likes.

It's too bad that Marvel killed off the relationship between Peter Parker x Carol Danvers before it even had a chance to start for reasons that are quite dumb as a good writer could make it work in a manner that would allow future writers to pick up on where they left off. The date between Peter and Carol was so uninspiring after so much hype about it. Had Brian Reed had used the date in which Peter talked about his encounter with Mystique in a 2-part flashback story that would lead to Carol's encounter with her at the end of her series, it might have been an interesting plot twist that might have led to future stories between them with great interest by other writers. And Kelly Sue Avenging Spider-Man's team-up adventure between Peter and Carol was downright forgettable.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I wouldn't support it.

Spidey doesn't deserve a woman like Ms. Marvel.

Look I know you don't like Spider-Man, but to say he doen't deserve someone like Carol is all sorts of BS, Spidey is everything a woman would would want in a man. Funny, Handsome, loyal, caring, heroic, responsible, bold(at times), and compassionate. He's more pure than Steve Rogers and funnier than Clint Barton.

Yeah compared to the countless men in the marvel universe that are womanizing sleezebags, Peter is the only guy I see Carol hooking up as a mate and wifu material. Plus it would be somewhatlike Big Barda and Mister Miracle, the woman is the manly role and the man is the supporting one.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc said:

No, I wouldn't support it.

Spidey doesn't deserve a woman like Ms. Marvel.

Look I know you don't like Spider-Man, but to say he doen't deserve someone like Carol is all sorts of BS, Spidey is everything a woman would would want in a man. Funny, Handsome, loyal, caring, heroic, responsible, bold(at times), and compassionate. He's more pure than Steve Rogers and funnier than Clint Barton.

Yeah compared to the countless men in the marvel universe that are womanizing sleezebags, Peter is the only guy I see Carol hooking up as a mate and wifu material. Plus it would be somewhatlike Big Barda and Mister Miracle, the woman is the manly role and the man is the supporting one.

Speaking of Big Barda, I think that Jennifer Walters could be both Marvel's Big Barda(The She-Hulk) and Lois Lane(Human form) rolled up into one interchangeable package like a transformer toy..

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Speaking of Big Barda, I think that Jennifer Walters could be both Marvel's Big Barda(The She-Hulk) and Lois Lane(Human form) rolled up into one interchangeable package like a transformer toy..

Interesting conclusion. I like.

A_A_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No... horrible idea

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_a_a said:

No... horrible idea

And War Machine is the perfect match for Carol?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.