WonderCon 2012: Confirmed - Ms. Marvel to Become Captain Marvel

• 152 results
#101 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog said:

This is great news...but I smell early cancellation.

Yeah. Given Marvel's terrible track record of marketing their female characters, I'm not sure that this is going to last very long.

#102 Posted by DEADPOOL (2703 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her the way she is... err... was.

#103 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

wait wait...so DC and marvel have their own respective Captain marvels??? someone help me out here lol

#104 Posted by Aheld92 (100 posts) - - Show Bio

super excited about this, not sure what i think about the costume yet, but i do like that it's more consevative.

#105 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

A little too "Butchy" for me tho, but if this is what it takes for her to get her own ongoing again......sign me up?

sigh first PG's costume now this

#106 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@DMC: You want her to look more like a Captain, there is nothing wrong with that. But not like this, it looks AWFUL. Just LOOK AT HER FACE, she doesn't even look like Carol anymore and I DARE YOU to say it isn't true:

I will quote someone from the other thread about this news:

@Jetshade said:

Love that Carol is finally getting her own book again and will be back in the spotlight after an undeserved absence. Hate the new costume and short hair. And for those who immediately want to assume the worst of anyone who doesn't like the new look because it's not as "fanservicey" as the old one: that's not fair and I think you know it. Please point out where anyone in this thread has said they don't like it because it's not revealing enough. People don't like the change because there was nothing wrong with her old look and it had become iconic. I just don't think the "butch" look is Carol, period.

This pretty much sums it up.

#107 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I really going to go with my initial reaction to this, Carol has spent so much time as what seems like a completely separate entity from Captain Marvel and has for a while now come into her own as a hero that doing this seems like a regression, like doing it is basically admitting that Ms. Marvel or Warbird weren't good enough heroes so they had to give her the title of the hero that she got her powers from to validate her. It's just seems like by this point in her existence she should either remain ms. marvel since it's who she is and many people don't even now about her connection to CM by now, or have her change identities to one that is completely different and separate to the Captain.

#108 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bestostero said:

eh.

agree!

#109 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Not liking the look.

#110 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally. Also, I don't have to look at that stupid Ms Marvel outfit anymore.

#111 Posted by kreewarrior (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope she wears the mask, but when you lose the hair, high heels and skin, it makes her look more like a male super hero though. Is that what Marvel wants?

#112 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Night Thrasher said:

Costume looks GOD-Awful

#113 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

im not feeling her new 'do or the mask but the rest of the costume looks good though

#114 Posted by Dedpool (317 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate it. I like the helmet/mask, but the yellow stripes on the front have to go, as do the buttoned gloves. Put a yellow band at the end of the gloves and the boots, make the boots thigh high, and make the gloves short and we're good.

#115 Posted by bballaag (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Booooo. Not going to read it.

#116 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

She looks awful. no offence to some people but she looks like a lesbian.

#117 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

not bad, she does look like a lesbian who works for the confederacy though. the short hair is too short, the mask honestly the whole thing, looks like a female midnighter in different colors that and it gives me a wonder woman or wonder girl vibe, bit of both.

and the biggest shame is how new 52 it looks..I mean she looks JUST like a new 52 powergirl bit with different clothes

#118 Posted by MrRagePants (843 posts) - - Show Bio

Who designed this costume? It's like Superman's costume had an affair with Wonder woman's outfit then it had an abortion.

#119 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91:

Except she's a Marvel hero not a DC one.

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks she looks like a lesbian with her new look. Her hair is far too short hence why I think that. Plus the suit is just ugly It looks like a cross between Superman and WW's old costumes.

#120 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14425 posts) - - Show Bio

art looks good, should be a good series

#121 Posted by Eet Mor Puppee (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Next time Bruce Wayne goes on vacation they should let Barbara Gordon be Batman.

On second thought, why not let Bruce Wayne be Superman? He's the obvious choice. Then Wonder Woman could be Batman, Superman can be the Hulk, the Hulk can be Rick Jones and Rick Jones can be the Tick.

#122 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoughts:

• It's about time. She had a great solo title until Dark Avengers totally derailed it. She's been one of the leading contenders for "Marvel's Leading Lady" but suffered from the "clone of a male character" syndrome (much like She-Hulk). But ultimately, she should be an A-Lister.
  • Oh man, why change the uniform like that? She had a great uniform.
  • Not sure I like the art generally.
  • I like the hair.
#123 Posted by virginiaforniquer (101 posts) - - Show Bio

UGGGHHH!!!!

Seriously.... UGGGHHH

I loved her black costume and I loved her original Ms Marvel cosutme... this is.... you might as well put in her fatigues.

Hate the costume, Hate the hair, think Marvel is trying to hard to turn her into Power Girl

But I LOVE that Carol's getting her own book again

#124 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega-Man : ...exactly my point

#125 Posted by Undeadpool (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Looooooooooooove that new costume. I was never a fan of the 1950s swimsuit that seems so popular with female superheroes. No reason for a tough, hard-ass military brat to dress like she's heading for a day at the beach after winning Ms. New York City.

Staff
#126 Posted by jaredbright (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Bloody Hell! Soon the women will be allowed to vote! What's the world coming too??!!!!! :)

I guess. We do need more chick characters out there. I don't imagine that short hair will last too long.

#127 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

really?

#128 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll admit, after seeing this image of her new costume, I'm starting to warm up to it.

As Captain Marvel
I think the dark blue looks better than the bright blue in my opinion, and she does look much better without the mask. But I still don't like the new hairstyle, maybe it'll look better in the actual comics though. =/
#129 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

Still looks like a lesbian no matter how many times I look at it.

#130 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that all comic book writers should HAVE to mention what their musical playlist is for WHATEVER they are writing. Gives you the best idea of what to expect.

#131 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega-Man : It's not totally true, I have some friends who are lesbians and they don't look awful like Ms. Marvel on those pics. Some lesbians are really beautiful but it's like everything, some people look beautiful and others look ugly. But I see why you are saying this and the only thing I can say is:

#132 Posted by stu (379 posts) - - Show Bio

this sucks....its so lame and was so predictable......booooo....

#133 Posted by dementedtheclown (747 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like a dike

#134 Posted by PowerHerc (82744 posts) - - Show Bio

This doesn't appeal to me.

I hope it doesn't stick.

#135 Edited by GREGalicious (473 posts) - - Show Bio

Im hoping this isnt a permanent thing. Im not liking the hair, the costume, or the concept. She can have her own great series without becoming Captain Marvel. Ironically, Marvel's version of CAPTAIN MARVEL is always really lame. We'll see how this turns out but I wont expect much. When it fails, we'll have our MS. MARVEL again.

#136 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Captain Marvel is a big deal to long time readers, but has been dead for so long many newer readers have little to no idea who he was

- Ms Marvel on the other hand has been at the forefront so I don't understand making the change instead of using the title to elevate another character. It seemed like Noh-Varr was a shoe in until now

#137 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

The 1950's hair cut is a great add.

#138 Posted by justice teen (447 posts) - - Show Bio

change the hair

#139 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

As Captain Marvel
I'll admit, after seeing this image of her new costume, I'm starting to warm up to it.
I think the dark blue looks better than the bright blue in my opinion, and she does look much better without the mask. But I still don't like the new hairstyle, maybe it'll look better in the actual comics though. =/

I do like that it's simple. I like that she's not wearing a mask. And the gloves/boots have a classic pulp look to them I think is good. And really, the "Kree" are such a pulp-based concept that's how she should look. And I definitely think it's better for her to ditch the swimsuit, although I will miss the color scheme and lightning bolt logo.

I don't see why people are hating on the hair or saying it makes her look like a lesbian. If anything, that hair reminds me of 80s new wave. I see more Dazzler than anything else. Meanwhile I've never met a lesbian with that haircut. Maybe I know the wrong lesbians?

She looks like a combination of Power Girl, Jenny Sparks, and Dazzler.

#140 Posted by termiteone4ever (7132 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes i am liking this

#141 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

@War Killer said:

As Captain Marvel

I do like that it's simple. I like that she's not wearing a mask. And the gloves/boots have a classic pulp look to them I think is good. And really, the "Kree" are such a pulp-based concept that's how she should look. And I definitely think it's better for her to ditch the swimsuit, although I will miss the color scheme and lightning bolt logo.

I don't see why people are hating on the hair or saying it makes her look like a lesbian. If anything, that hair reminds me of 80s new wave. I see more Dazzler than anything else. Meanwhile I've never met a lesbian with that haircut. Maybe I know the wrong lesbians?

She looks like a combination of Power Girl, Jenny Sparks, and Dazzler.

The only reason I don't like the hair is because, like with this image and the two covers released already, she looks like she has a mo-hawk. I still don't understand either where people are getting the lesbian idea from either. Maria Hill has shorter hair than Carol and she's not lesbian so I don't get where having short hair makes you lesbian...

Thankfully though, it's been announced that she may still have her long hair it just looks short when in costume apparently.
#142 Posted by daedalus25 (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahahaha! Seriously Marvel? You tried changing Ms. Marvel's costume before during her Warbird days and that didn't last. This change won't either. Her current black costume has become far too iconic for you to change now. You're welcome to try your little experiment, but I guarantee sales will plummet very quickly on this title. Carol already had her own ongoing series that was doing well enough until it got swallowed into all the events. Bring back a series with MS. MARVEL in her ICONIC costume, and you'll have much better sales.

#143 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

And they took away the sex appeal completely... :/

#144 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. Then again, I don't have any issues with heroes having multiple costumes. Plus I don't like the majority of Ms. Marvel's older costumes, so this looks like an improvement. This looks like something out of "Invincible" and I like the textured look of the buttons along the boots and gloves.

#145 Posted by Invisible_Witch (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a better look

#146 Posted by daedalus25 (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Dodson can make almost anything look sexy, but compare it to his previous Ms. Marvel covers and you'll see even more how disappointing this look is. Here I'll put one up:

And it's amusing how many people think this is a "promotion" for Ms. Marvel. Seriously? Did you even read Ms. Marvel's previous ongoing title? She was already well established as her OWN unique character with her OWN unique name. Now they're giving her someone else's name and dressing her to resemble him as well. This isn't a promotion. This is Marvel saying that the only way Ms. Marvel will sell is if we make her the female equivalent of a MALE superhero. Sorry guys, that's not progress. Or would you all think it was progress if Wonder Woman started wearing Superman's clothes and called herself Super Woman?

#147 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1317 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the boots.

#148 Posted by SuperStarKirby (126 posts) - - Show Bio

@daedalus25: Completely different situation, man. Considering Ms. Marvel was named after Captain Marvel to begin with. It's like moving from Kid Flash to Flash, really.

#149 Posted by spideygirl (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh no, I want her with long hair!!

#150 Posted by TheIronLord (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@daedalus25: I agree with you completely. She came from MS MARVEL to something like Super-girl or bat-girl, or any knock off like that. Ms Marvel has been my favorite character for a long time. And whether the issues starring her were well written or not, she always made it enjoyable. That is why I simply can't understand why they had to change her costume to that horrible crap. Also, changing her name is just a slap in a face to all her fans. They changed something that had worked since '77 to a name that belonged to someone else. I simply can't stand it and I hope her fans will stop buying Captain Marvel current issues, so the Marvel assholes take the hint

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.