Why do you like -or hate- Ms. Marvel.

• 61 results
#1 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

All is in the title. 

I've always had this problem with Miss Marvel. I just can't relate to her in any way, but it's true that I don't know well this character, so enlight me !  

Why do you find her great -or lame- ? What's your favorite story arc about her. 

Thanx !
#2 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

i like damaged characters and she has a pretty good history of having crap thrown at her. but in the end she still shines she's been one of the most pivital feminism characters in marvels roster (couldnt give a $hit about that personally, but its good in its own right) 

#3 Posted by gui22 (383 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Ms.Marvel is a strong and independent  heroin besides i think her powers are cool and maybe she gets on a  relationship with spider-man

#4 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

She beat up Arachne in front of her daughter.

dislike.

#5 Posted by DEADPOOL (2697 posts) - - Show Bio

She's hot. That's all I really know of her.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" She beat up Arachne in front of her daughter.  dislike. "
C'mon with this.She didn't beat up Arachne.She took it real easy on her.Arachne was doing most of the hitting.She sandwiched Carol with her car before Carol started hitting her.
#7 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
C'mon with this.She didn't beat up Arachne.She took it real easy on her.Arachne was doing most of the hitting.She sandwiched Carol with her car before Carol started hitting her. "
Little innocent Rachel watching her mother get wrecked by Ms. Marvel, I need therapy just from reading it.
#8 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really know much about Ms. Marvel. I do know Ant-Man likes to spy on her in the shower and she's really annoying on the Superhero Squad Show.

#9 Posted by 123422 (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

She's strong and independent, cool powers and hot, obviously.

#10 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

She punched Moonstone in the babymaker

#11 Posted by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her powers.

#12 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
C'mon with this.She didn't beat up Arachne.She took it real easy on her.Arachne was doing most of the hitting.She sandwiched Carol with her car before Carol started hitting her. "
Little innocent Rachel watching her mother get wrecked by Ms. Marvel, I need therapy just from reading it. "
Carol should have beat her up too...
#13 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
Little innocent Rachel watching her mother get wrecked by Ms. Marvel, I need therapy just from reading it. "
Carol should have beat her up too... "

@Vance Astro:
O_o 

Why ?
#14 Posted by Stormultt (5308 posts) - - Show Bio

She's alright. 
Hate or...? Not really.
#15 Posted by War Killer (19473 posts) - - Show Bio

I find her a very great super-heroine, in my opinion, one of Marvel's best female super-heroes.

#16 Edited by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her, my favorite Marvel character in fact. Hope we get more about her. I can't really pick an arc I like the most, but I personally liked the first couple issues of her second series the best. I can't even really say what it is I like about her so much, I find the personality they portray her as having very attractive from the perspective of a reader and a guy. She also seems very human , but also without having the over exaggerated personal problems that just make them seem melodramatic or fake.
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Devil Tiger said:
@Vance Astro: O_o  Why ? "
Because Pix is mad about it.
#18 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4358 posts) - - Show Bio

Because shes HOT

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
Right....Arachne was such a victim.... 

#20 Posted by DevilmanEX (617 posts) - - Show Bio

She's strong as hell with other cool powers to boot.  Also she seems attainable.  You could probably kick it to her in a bar and I don't think she'd blast you although she is a mean drunk which is actually another point in my book.  Check out the one of the old Xmen arcs where she got Binary powers and joined star jammers.  Its around Uncanny Xmen 165.  She also kicked Rogue's butt in that arc too.

#21 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

She's cool, but no Spiderman relationship plz.

#22 Posted by Captain Amerika (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel is awesome. 

#23 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain Amerika said:
"Ms. Marvel is awesome.  "

Indeed. Seconded.
#24 Posted by Speedy92286 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro:

If I could rep you I would for the above comments and the picture proof.

I love Ms. Marvel because she has a great personality, great power set, and up until now had a good series. What is not to like about her?

#25 Posted by 123422 (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain Amerika: Great way to sum it up. Thirded.
#26 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms Marvel is great because she keeps getting back up. She gets knocked down hard and she keeps getting back up. She was always told that she'd never be as good at anything a boy was good at, and this was before she got her powers, then she had one of the worst things in the world that could happen to anyone happen to her, in a really messed up way. Then she gets everything that she is and was taken away from her. Her powers, her boyfriend, her memories gone. Then she becomes an alcoholic and gets kicked off the Avengers, then she's given everything she could ever hope for in "House of M", and has to save everyone caught in the middle of it by giving it all up, and if that wasn't enough, then she gets possessed by an alien, and FINALLY she's replaced by a super villain and has to go on the run from her own government which is being controlled by Norman Osborn because some where along the line, Marvel went crazy. And after all of that and more, she's still standing. She's still okay. She's still determined, and she's still strong. She makes mistakes, but when she believes in her actions and what she's doing, she doesn't apologize. She's sexy, has a great costume, and she also has the personality of a girl you'd want to go out and have fun with. A very down to earth super heroine. AND she loves Star Wars! EPIC WIN! 
As far as stories go, the first issues of Ms. Marvel's most recent (and unfortunately cancelled) ongoing are okay, but they really get good when Aaron Lopresti takes over as artist. When he left, I pretty much said good bye too, cause Brian Reed isn't really that great of a writer. You should also check out the first couple of stories Ms. Marvel was around for in Mighty Avengers. She's also great in New Avengers, after secret invasion, and the second Annual of New Avengers, before secret invasion. Really, anything with Bendis writing Ms. Marvel is great for me. He really brought that character back to the foreground.  
But please, no Spidey & Ms. Marvel relationship.... Now a Captain America & Ms. Marvel romance... that's promising :)

#27 Edited by scuzz2.0 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I just started re reading her latest series and i have a few problems with her. she is a murderer. when the brood ship crashed she just started slaughtering them all and before she left to chase cru she questioned a brood if there was any more, when it said no she said good and MURDERED it. it was wounded and defensless and she killed without a second thought. marvel does this a lot tho, takes charecters who you wouldnt usually see killing and has them slaughtering aliens, as long as there not humans. how many skrulls were killed during secret invasion.  

during the civil war arc i found myself wanting julia to pull a shotgun and blow ms m's head off! she was being such a stupid ignorant bitch. she was absolutely wrong but she never admitted it!  
the first time i read it i thought it was great but recently im wondering how they made a 50 issue run about someone so unlikable

#28 Posted by Edamame (27998 posts) - - Show Bio

She is beautiful. 

#29 Posted by Hyperion322 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always been attracted to tough female characters who aren't liable to apologize for their "attitude" problem. That's Carol Danvers in a nut shell and what writer, Brian Reed, did in her latest series is show there's a lot more to Carol underneath her tough exterior. Carol is not perfect like many see Ms. Marvel, she makes mistakes, and has had ups and downs like all of us. I also like that Ms. Marvel is one of the most powerful Marvel characters around! ~ Hype

#30 Posted by Speedy92286 (198 posts) - - Show Bio
@scuzz2.0 said:
"

I just started re reading her latest series and i have a few problems with her. she is a murderer. when the brood ship crashed she just started slaughtering them all and before she left to chase cru she questioned a brood if there was any more, when it said no she said good and MURDERED it. it was wounded and defensless and she killed without a second thought. marvel does this a lot tho, takes charecters who you wouldnt usually see killing and has them slaughtering aliens, as long as there not humans. how many skrulls were killed during secret invasion.  

during the civil war arc i found myself wanting julia to pull a shotgun and blow ms m's head off! she was being such a stupid ignorant bitch. she was absolutely wrong but she never admitted it!  
the first time i read it i thought it was great but recently im wondering how they made a 50 issue run about someone so unlikable

"
She was a soldier, so I'm not surprised she is capable of murder. I didn't read too much of her earlier series, but wasn't the Brood an old enemy trying to kill her? Just saying. That's like asking "Why would Wolverine kill defensless ninjas? Because he has a history with them and knows that they are capable of. As for all the Skrulls dying during Secret Invasion, it was a war. Humanity versus Skrulls. In a war where the humanity can be conquered by an alien race, you are damn right people will be killing the enemy and lots of them. It's not like the Skrulls didn't kill any humans. And nearly all the Skrulls Ms Marvel killed were Super Skrulls invading New York City, so she had every right to tear them apart.

She is not a murderer if she is defending the human race, or herself. It is called self-defense for a reason.
#31 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7493 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive warmed to her.

#32 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Carol because she's totally kick ass. She has balls.

#33 Posted by Britt601 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

I reaaly dig how strong and independent she is. She's a strong heroine with powers I would like to have. Puls she's beautiful, while still having a ton of crap thrown at her, lol
#34 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:

"
You stopped before the best Part!
#35 Posted by Golden Cod (378 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M.: 

Best explanation thus far.   I too was wondering about what's so special about her.   She definitely sounds more interesting now.
#36 Posted by PowerHerc (78161 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her powerset (She's Marvel's Power Girl/Supergirl.  I like her personality; she's independent and strong because that's who she is and not to overtly promote feminism. She demands to be treated as an equal because she deserves it, not because its in vogue or politically correct..  I like her toughness and resillience.  I like her looks ( especially when drawn by Cho, Melo, Perez or Deodato,Jr.).  I'm glad they brought her back to finally being Ms. Marvel again, not Binary or a de-powered Carol Danvers:  Agent of SHIELD.  I like that she's in the mainstream heroic/Avengers universe and not associated with mutants or the X-titles like she was in the '80s and early '90s.  I like her characterization and the fact that she's 
featured in her own title.  I guess she's pretty damn likable. 

#37 Posted by Aspirus (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I just love that she can take so much punishment and come out on top, like when she defeated that Skrull thing during Secret Invasion and it was changing powers with every step.  

She has a really fiery temper too which is cool when she is fighting bad guys. 

She can also handle Doctor Mole's beasties with no problem. 

She also blasted the Sentry and knocked him out when they were fighting that female Ultron, that's power.

The arc where the Avengers infiltrated the Master's base and she fought the Plodex wolves, I thought that was real cool. 
#38 Posted by CapDanAmerica (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Carol because she's more than just her powers.  She's more than just Marvel's version of Supergirl or Wonder Woman, she's a complete human being.  She can go out there and kick as much butt as Iron Man or any of her Avengers companions, and at the end of the day she still thinks about what she's done.  One of the best things to come out of House of M was the idea that Carol had focus.  She had everything she wanted in that world, and when it came back to the way it was supposed to be, she knew she had to change herself to get it all back.  She had something to aim for, to strive for.  Right now, she and Bucky are the only two characters at Marvel that come to mind that are actively striving to better themselves, not just as costumed crusaders, but as human beings.  She is dynamic and capable as well as fragile and self-aware, and this makes for an incredible character study when done correctly. 

I can't think of a favorite story that jumps to mind, but there are several moments that really stick out in my mind when thinking about what makes Carol great.  The first is the issue of New Avengers when she finds out that the Avengers have reformed and she confronts Steve Rogers about it.  He ends up telling her that she will always be an Avenger, and the two of them have a nice moment (in particular, the image of her playfully punching Steve in the arm comes to mind).  If Steve Rogers tells you you will always be an Avenger, that's pretty big.  The moment those two characters have together in a recent issue of New Avengers where she sees him for the first time since he came back and she didn't believe it also sticks out. 

The image of Carol huddled in her shower after the (second) battle against the Brood in her recent series sticks out as a perfect example of how human she is. 

As far as her crowing moments of awesome, knocking Iron Patriot into a river in New Avengers and then proclaiming that she could have killed him right now but didn't because she's better than him, her ripping Mac Gargan right out of the symbiote suit in Seige: Spider-Man, and her pretty much single handedly defeated Count Nefaria in New Avengers Finale (Wolverine distracted him, but come on.  She took him down almost all on her own) are all examples of why you don't pick a fight with Carol Danvers and not regret it.
#39 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @pixelized said:

"

Arachne is trying to protect her daughter while getting away from the Police State that Carol had helped Tony Stark turn America into. She was doing EXACTLY WHAT CAROL later did when Norman took over. Carol fought Norman Osborn, and like or hate him...Norman was the government appointed head of Tonys organization. If Arachne was wrong...then from a legal and moral standpoint, Carol was wrong.  

This shouldn't be under debate. Can't you just accept that Carol was the bad guy in this scene? That she was SUPOSED to be the BAD GUY in this scene? That this scene was written with Carol as the villain? It's doesn't mean Carol IS a VILLAIN...but in this situation, she was. Arachnes powers were OBVIOUSLY well below hers (heck, in a later issue Arana beats Arache in single combat...off panel) and that Arache's attempt to defend herself were utterly impotant. 

Arache was trying to protect her daughter. Arachne was the good guy. Deal with it.
#40 Edited by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@John_Feaster said:

Arachne is trying to protect her daughter while getting away from the Police State that Carol had helped Tony Stark turn America into. She was doing EXACTLY WHAT CAROL later did when Norman took over. Carol fought Norman Osborn, and like or hate him...Norman was the government appointed head of Tonys organization. If Arachne was wrong...then from a legal and moral standpoint, Carol was wrong.      This shouldn't be under debate. Can't you just accept that Carol was the bad guy in this scene? That she was SUPOSED to be the BAD GUY in this scene? That this scene was written with Carol as the villain? It's doesn't mean Carol IS a VILLAIN...but in this situation, she was. Arachnes powers were OBVIOUSLY well below hers (heck, in a later issue Arana beats Arache in single combat...off panel) and that Arache's attempt to defend herself were utterly impotant.     Arache was trying to protect her daughter. Arachne was the good guy. Deal with it. "

Arachne isn't trying to protect anything. Carol wasn't going to hurt Arachne or her child.All she had to do is sign some papers and she was free to do whatever she wanted.Arachne started the fight between her and Carol.The fact that Julie is even still alive proves that Carol was the good guy in this situation.She was only doing what she was ordered to do.She was the only registered hero who consistently let people go. In fact if not for Carol's kindness the New Avengers would have been captured in the Middle of Civil War and then again early during Initiative. 

You say this shouldn't be under debate but you're responding to something I said a month ago? What do you think..i'm just going to accept your opinion over my own and leave it alone? No.I'm not accepting that Carol was the bad guy because Carol didn't do anything wrong.Julia did. Her daughter had to watch her get her get her ass kicked because SHE doesn't know how to act.It's not Carol's fault.She's not going to sit there and get beat up by a class 10 because she can't follow directions.The registration was the law.You don't want to follow the law and you attack the people enforcing it.You get your ass kicked. 

Deal with it.
#41 Posted by Calibong (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care about Ms. Marvel, but i think Binary was pretty cool when she featured in Uncanny. I really liked the way she was drawn by both Dave Cockrum and Paul Smith.

#42 Posted by MaidenMarvel (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel is my favorite character. She has kicked major butt without her powers. As a superhero, no matter what is thrown at her (Alcoholism, Rouge, a Bunch of Super-Skrulls, ect.) she always emerges stronger than before, whether emotionally or physically.

#43 Posted by SC (11928 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Ms Marvel. Carol is great, carries a lot of depth, she has this practical side, no doubt from her military side, but this cool wild streak as well. Hope to see her lead a team sooner or later! 

#44 Posted by PowerHerc (78161 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her for her pretty face, smokin' body, take-no-shit attitude and her power-set. 

#45 Posted by JReed2008 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her because she's one of the greatest female avengers. Like when I think of female avengers the first person to come to my mind if the Wasp obv, but after her Ms Marvel comes in a close second.

#46 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally prefer She-Hulk, Storm, and a slew of other heroines better, but I don't hate her.

#47 Posted by mervotron (257 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Ms. Marvel. She is one of my favourite superheroes! She can kick ass even without using her powers! She is a strong and confident person who is one of the best Avengers.

#48 Posted by X35 (5971 posts) - - Show Bio

@mervotron said:

I love Ms. Marvel. She is one of my favourite superheroes! She can kick ass even without using her powers! She is a strong and confident person who is one of the best Avengers.

All that.......plus she's like the definition of the word beauty.

#49 Posted by PassionFlower (944 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Carol because she has overcome so much in her life.She has been through the wringer so many times and remains unbroken despite a few dents. I like that she is a good and loyal friend.

#50 Posted by TinyGrenade (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who is always at odds with her powers and place in the world is great in my book. She always seems to not want to take the spot she is worthy of which is what I really like about her. Sure, she could be a top dog but her humble attitude keeps her from going full throttle all the time, but when she does it's effin awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.