Was the guy that raped Ms.Marvel Human or like super powerful

#1 Posted by slacker the hacker (7844 posts) - - Show Bio

shes really powerful and i cant see some one like her being knocked out or drugged by human level being what where the guys powers

#2 Posted by Darkseid Elite (8424 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

It technically wasn't rape, unless you consider it a mind rape because he brainwashed her. But ya that was all retconned out I believe when the Marvel editorial staff was changed over.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" It technically wasn't rape, unless you consider it a mind rape because he brainwashed her. But ya that was all retconned out I believe when the Marvel editorial staff was changed over. "
It wasn't 'technically' rape because it was from the time of the Comics Code Authority.  What you are saying is that 'date rape' isn't technically rape because someone is brainwashed by external means.   

Carol clearly demonstrated her true feelings for Marcus when she was released of his mind control; she ran away.  If she had never been controlled by him, then she would never have slept with him.  She was forced into an on-going sexual relationship against her will.  No matter how you sugar coat it, that's still rape.
#5 Posted by Jetshade (421 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Xerox-kitty. Marcus Immortus stated himself that Carol had initially rejected him, and had he not used a "subtle boost" from his father's mind-controlling technology on her, Carol would not have slept with him. A real-life equivalent is using a date-rape drug on someone to make them more "compliant." It's still rape and just as immoral and illegal as physically overpowering someone. 

It also was not retconned out of the storyline. The new writer, Chris Clairmont, merely recognized it for what it truly was (rape via mind control) and brought the storyline to its logical conclusion.

As for how powerful Marcus was, he was the son of the time lord Immortus, as someone already stated, and had access to his father's super-advanced technology. But in a physical fight I think Carol would has smashed in his skull in seconds. She just wasn't prepared to deal with his mind-control devices at the time.  

#6 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: @Jetshade: Agreed.

Anyways, when was she raped? I do not remember this. That's pretty crazy. So is it retconned then? Still part of her story? I like Ms. marvel a lot but I still a noob to her. I've read most of her newer series but that is really it. Well I have very old comics of her and all that but not much. But love her! great character. Wish Marvel had more faith in her.
#7 Posted by Jetshade (421 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_Zombie: 
The Marcus rape storyline is very old (happened in the early 1980's), which is likely why you don't remember it. Like I said above, it was never retconned and is still a part of Carol's history. Shortly after Carol escaped from Marcus, she was attacked by Rogue -- in fact this storyline was Rogue's first appearance in comics. 

I love Ms. Marvel too, she is one of my favorites. She has a long, complex, and often tragic history but has always persevered through it. Marvel should realize that she is their version of Wonder Woman. It is unfortunate that her title was canceled and I hope she gets it back someday. 
#8 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jetshade: Indeed, the only reason I know about it is because of the lengthy recap in Avengers Annual #10.  Carol was really distressed, the poor love.
#9 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope she gets her series back. Sucks Bendis has such a hard on for Spider woman. Ms. Marvel has way more potential to be Marvels wonder woman then her.
I'll have to read that Recap. I remember the intro of Rouge, but ya ddint know much of Ms.Marvel before that.

#10 Posted by Jetshade (421 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: 
Yes, and poor Carol had every reason to be distressed! I actually read the storyline that led up to it (Avengers 198-200) beforehand, and I remember feeling outraged at what they had done to Ms. Marvel to write her off the team. She was supposed to be Marvel's most liberated and independent heroine, and they had her run off with a scumbag who kidnapped her, forced her to fall in love with him using mind control, impregnated her, and then she had to give birth to him as well! Then he instantly grew to adulthood and explained the awful things he did, and rather than being appalled and beating him to a pulp like he deserved, she abandoned her entire life and career to "be together with him" in another dimension. It was shameful writing and all I can say is that whoever wrote it must have really hated Ms. Marvel. 

Thankfully Clairmont recognized this storyline for what it truly was and gave it the conclusion it needed. I remember feeling vindicated for her when I read Avengers Annual 10, even though I was still dismayed by what Marvel was putting her through. She's suffered much more than her share of abuse over the years.  

@Kid_Zombie:
It's frustrating that Spider-Woman is being pushed so hard by Bendis as Marvel's premiere heroine. Nothing against her, but I don't think she has nearly the depth of character that Ms. Marvel has. Why do Marvel's top hero and heroine both need to be spider-themed? 
#11 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jetshade:  Agreed. Way more interesting then spider-woman, way cooler powers, and from a guys perspective, she is hotter ha ha ha
#12 Posted by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

There no question she was raped by Marcus.   
Marcus wasn't an extremely powerful bad-ass who over-powered Carol.  He used mind-control.  Her feelings of hurt and betrayal are first revealed in Avengers annual #10 (which is also the first appearance of Rogue).
#13 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker: here are some scans to help you out man

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (91297 posts) - - Show Bio

This is probably the worst thing to happen to a character since....well no I don't really know of anything worse than this.

#15 Posted by slacker the hacker (7844 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

This is probably the worst thing to happen to a character since....well no I don't really know of anything worse than this.

Im sure this is something worse in all of fiction

#16 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker: Im sure this is something worse in all of fiction

In terms of story I put Ultimatum and one more day as worse

#17 Posted by slacker the hacker (7844 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nerx said:

@slacker the hacker: Im sure this is something worse in all of fiction

In terms of story I put Ultimatum and one more day as worse

I did not find Zero Hour very good

#18 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

OP, did you mean the superheroine going by the name Ms. Marvel that was tortured and "raped" while imprisoned in the super villain Malus' headquarters? The experience that traumatized her and made her hate men for years, all through her time as a She-Thing during her run with the Fantastic Four?

If this is what you were referring to, that was Sharon Ventura /sharon-ventura/29-20604/, not Carol Danvers /ms-marvel/29-21561/.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.