Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4390 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Thoughts on Carol's 1st appearance as Captain Marvel

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Strider1992

For those of you who are unaware Carol made her debut as Captain Marvel in Avenging Spider-man #9 yesterday (even though Avenging Spider-man #9 has been confirmed to take place after Captain Marvel #1 which is released next week. Did something go wrong with the printing schedule or was this meant to happen?).  
    I had two major concerns when I heard about the new series number 1 was the preview/concept art for Carol's new look (I still think its a shame they just didn't do another Ms Marvel solo series but that's for another topic) but Dodson basically blew all the worries I had out of the water with his awesome art:        

No Caption Provided

The other thing wasn't so much a concern as it was curiosity and that was how DeConnick would handle writing Carol (DeConnick came on board for Avenging Spider-man 9 and 10). I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. DeConnick wrote Carol very well keeping her true to character. The dialogue between her and Spider-man was also pretty good in my opinion:    

I have to say the thing that clinched it for me was this page!:   

All in all I think DeConnick is going to do a great job on Captain Marvel (*sigh* looks like another title to add to my pull list). I just wish Dodson would do the art on that series because he can really draw Carol's new look well! DeConnick also handled Spider-man very well which was a nice surprise. She said she enjoyed writing the web-head and it showed!
    Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Is that shield hulk buster armour? Book looks good my finger's are crossed we get at least another fifty issues out of this run.

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BaBaBoom

I was planning on buying this but I wanted to buy Captain Marvel #1 first so I skipped it for now.

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheCommissar

I agree, I think Carol was handled well (as was the entire issue. I was laughing on nearly every page), although I felt her reaction to the "I'm not into blondes" line was overboard, even though it was intended as an insult. Other than that, however, I was very happy I bought it. As long as Carol stays in-line with her characterization in Avenging Spider-Man 9 (as well as in her previous appearances, of course), and that the artists in Captain Marvel keep the look she has in it (as opposed to the fauxhawk/mullet thing she is occasionally shown with), I'll be quite content with the series.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tg1982

I'm thinking I'm going to put Capt. Marvel on my list.

One question though. Who is higher in rank now? Capt. Marvel or Capt. America (It's a bad joke, I know, but it's out there now. mwahahahahah)

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strider1992

@tg1982 said:

One question though. Who is higher in rank now? Capt. Marvel or Capt. America (It's a bad joke, I know, but it's out there now. mwahahahahah)

Dunno but I reckon Colonel Sanders puts a whooping on them both!

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tg1982

@Strider92: Well of course he does. Everyone loves KFC! (extra crispy FTW)

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By KainScion

this issue borred me so badly. the dialogue was not funny. and robyn my god was she annoying. and this is not the artist for captain marvel book.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strider1992

@KainScion said:

this issue borred me so badly. the dialogue was not funny. and robyn my god was she annoying. and this is not the artist for captain marvel book.

I agree the villain was lacking but I never said Dodson was the artist for the new series (he isn't its Dexter Soy) I just said I wish he was doing it as his art is gr8!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TDK_1997

I'm gonna buy the first issue and if it is good I will keep buying it.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By daedalus25

Based on your review, it looks like what clinched the issue for you was based primarily on the artwork. And I think that's going to be true for many people. I've passed over buying many books because the artwork in it was subpar. Even if DeConnick is passable writing Carol, with as bad as the artwork is in her new book, I just don't think it's going to get the numbers it needs to last.

(And thank goodness for that! I want Ms. Marvel back, pronto!)

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By X35

@daedalus25 said:

I want Ms. Marvel back, pronto!

thespis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thespis

Loved it! I'm so excited for Captain Marvel this week.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strider1992

@daedalus25: Yeah the artwork was really good but honestly DeConnick did a good job. So although I would prefer a new Ms Marvel ongoing to a New Captain Marvel series I think the series has what it takes to be good. I personally am not a big fan of the art in CM 1 but that is because of the colorist. Dexter Soy's pencils are pretty solid and there is a few preview pictures floating around somewhere of future issues but these panels have a different colorist and it looks a lot better!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like the new costume, but I don't agree with the name change.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JonSmith

Spider-Man using another, more invulnerable, superhero for a shield?

... Yeah, sounds about right.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Strider1992

@lykopis said:

And - while it might have been over-the-top (her reaction to the blonde comment), I enjoyed it. And I don't prefer blondes myself. ;)

Hey you insult a normal woman you get slapped. If you insult a super-powered one you get blasted its the natural evolution!

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blood1991

I plan on buying her series even though I'm not a fan of Carol "hopefully it may change my mind". Besides I think Marvel needs more female solos.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By daredevil21134

I'm gonna miss Ms Marvel

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#20  Edited By Teerack

if they drop the stupid mohack and let her hair stay like this she'll be a lot cooler.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It's still Carol, no matter what name she's going by. If you like Ms.Marvel you'll like the issue. People need to stop being so objective to small changes.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

@Vance Astro said:

It's still Carol, no matter what name she's going by. If you like Ms.Marvel you'll like the issue. People need to stop being so objective to small changes.

Whats wrong with mot wanting her name changed?

SuperStarKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SuperStarKirby

I honestly don't understand why people are so against the name change. It's fine with me. Also I liked her hair in this issue. Hopes it stays more like that.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Saren

I'm still not a fan of how she looks on the Captain Marvel #1 cover, but the art in Avenging Spider-Man #9 was terrific and thus I was sold on the costume.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Duke_Nasty

I'll give it a good try but I hate the mohawk. I have a feeling they are setting her up to become a lesbian superhero to counter Batwoman.

thespis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thespis

Uh...huh. Because having a fauxhawk necessarily equals lesbian?

Personally, I'd have no problem with Carol coming out if it was done well, but I don't think that's the direction they're going.

As it is, I love all the interior artwork that I've seen, both in Avenging Spiderman and in the previews for Captain Marvel #1. I was a fan of her Ms Marvel costume, but I think that the new one looks bloody awesome. And I'm perfectly happy with the name change.

But mostly, I'm just looking forward to seeing Carol kicking a whole lot of ass.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @daredevil21134 said:

Whats wrong with mot wanting her name changed?

There's nothing wrong with it. I didn't want her name changed either but I'm not going to refrain from buying books with her in it..because of that. Carol is still one of my favorite characters regardless of the name and appearance change. She's still the same character. 

@Duke_Nasty said:

try but I hate the mohawk. I have a feeling they are setting her up to become a lesbian superhero to counter Batwoman.

Don't be ridiculous.
    Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sovereign91001

@Vance Astro said:

Nailed it on the head for me. Still the same kick ass Carol we've grown to love a new hair style and title change don't change her characteristics... and that's the point of liking the character in the first place.

@Duke_Nasty said:

I'll give it a good try but I hate the mohawk. I have a feeling they are setting her up to become a lesbian superhero to counter Batwoman.

Really? Cause a woman with a fauxhawk must be a lesbian or have lesbian leanings right?

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By ripcurl

The new look SUCKS BALLS.

It didn't look good in Avenging Spider-man, but it looks so much worse in Captain Marvel #1. She's one of the best written female characters Marvel has. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

thespis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thespis

Different isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was really fond of the Ms Marvel costume - I still am - but Wacker and others are right when they say that while it's a striking and sexy look, it's not at all practical. And personally, I think they've done a fantastic job with the new costume; it's gorgeous and functional and I love both Dodson and Soy's takes on it.

After reading Captain Marvel #1, I'm already hooked. Soy's artwork in the first issue is beautiful and I'm really enjoying DeConnick's take on Carol. Love it!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Strider1992

@thespis: I have to admit that the art in Captain Marvel 1 was a LOT better than it looked in the previews! Still not sold on that helmet thing though.

changing the subject slightly was it me or did Soy draw Spider-man to look like Andrew Garfield lol?

Maybe its the hair but they look damn similar to me -.o!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By fodigg

I liked this one, but I kinda wish I'd read Captain Marvel #1 first. I thought that was a more epic start while this seemed like a fun romp, but a basic team-up.

Edit: I do find it interesting that Spider-Man seems to be real buddy-buddy with Carol generally. They may not be pursuing the romance but they seem to want to establish them as good friends, which I like.

RioBravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RioBravo

The new costume is rather ugly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.