Planet buster

#1 Edited by ArtsyGal (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Where is this Binary planet busting feat I keep hearing about? I would like to see it.

Also, is Carol currently Ms. Marvel or Binary?

#2 Edited by Billy Batson (57705 posts) - - Show Bio

She's currently Captain Marvel *moans* D-:<
BB

#3 Posted by ArtsyGal (125 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Oh, sorry, I know next to nothing about Carol.

But how strong is she right now? What happened to the previous Captain Marvel? Does anyone have a scan of this planet busting feat?

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57705 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtsyGal said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

But how strong is she right now? What happened to the previous Captain Marvel? Does anyone have a scan of this planet busting feat?

I'm not mad at you, I'm mad that she is Cap if you know what I mean <____<
Haven't been keeping up, sorry. The previous one died but came back (?) in Secret Avengers (don't know for how long). Someone will soon post it.
BB

#5 Posted by ArtsyGal (125 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@ArtsyGal said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

I'm not mad at you, I'm mad that she is Cap if you know what I mean <____<
Haven't been keeping up, sorry. The previous one died but came back (?) in Secret Avengers (don't know for how long). Someone will soon post it.
BB

Oh ok, thanks.

#6 Posted by ArtsyGal (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone?

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14427 posts) - - Show Bio

I read only the first issue and the only feat there was a speed one.She went to the stratosphere for 8 seconds or something like that.I don't remember.

#8 Posted by xfactor26 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

This what you are talking about?

#9 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Previous (definitive) Captain Marvel died of cancer in the 80's (I'm led to believe the guy in SA for two/three issues recently wasn't actually him), then there was like a bunch of crappy characters take the name. Carol doesn't have the Binary powers now but I think she has the potential to if she absorbs enough energy or something.

I actually like the change, 'cause It irritates me that the Avenger females were clones of popular males (i.e. Spider-man/Spider-woman), and she sort of becomes a superhero in her own right. And the costume isn't so exploitive or whatever.

#10 Posted by daedalus25 (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightHaunter said:

I actually like the change, 'cause It irritates me that the Avenger females were clones of popular males (i.e. Spider-man/Spider-woman), and she sort of becomes a superhero in her own right. And the costume isn't so exploitive or whatever.

Except this is the opposite of what's happened with Carol. She was already her own superhero with her own name and look. (In fact the whole POINT of her iconic black costume was because she didn't want to be associated with Captain Marvel). Now Marvel is turning her into a Captain Marvel clone, name and all.

I'm with Billy Batson 100% on this.

#11 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@daedalus25 said:

@NightHaunter said:

Except this is the opposite of what's happened with Carol. She was already her own superhero with her own name and look. (In fact the whole POINT of her iconic black costume was because she didn't want to be associated with Captain Marvel). Now Marvel is turning her into a Captain Marvel clone, name and all.

Personally, despite being a big fan I found it difficult to see her as a super hero in her own right for a long time. As long as she only adapted Mar-vell's title into her name she was in his shadow. And I think the black costume, nice as it was, restricted her to being a sex symbol with most artists. Glad she kept the sash though. I also think in her new book she is characterised a lot more strongly than in recent history so again I find she has a stronger identity.

#12 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3443 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightHaunter said:

Previous (definitive) Captain Marvel died of cancer in the 80's (I'm led to believe the guy in SA for two/three issues recently wasn't actually him), then there was like a bunch of crappy characters take the name. Carol doesn't have the Binary powers now but I think she has the potential to if she absorbs enough energy or something.

I like the change, as well. My only issue is that Monica Rambeau operated under the name, as well, and it didn't get her anywhere. She's still in obscurity despite having great potential, as well. I would hate for Carol to have to go back to 'Ms. Marvel' after another random male 'Captain Marvel' comes from wherever to claim the original title. The editorial teams for Marvel can be pretty fickle and let's face it: if Thanos is going to be in the next movie, there is a high probability that whether or not Capt. Marvel appears in it or not, renewed interest in the original Captain Marvel may result in Carol needing a new name/re-branding.

#13 Posted by daedalus25 (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightHaunter said:

@daedalus25 said:

@NightHaunter said:

Personally, despite being a big fan I found it difficult to see her as a super hero in her own right for a long time. As long as she only adapted Mar-vell's title into her name she was in his shadow. And I think the black costume, nice as it was, restricted her to being a sex symbol with most artists. Glad she kept the sash though. I also think in her new book she is characterised a lot more strongly than in recent history so again I find she has a stronger identity.

Just out of curiosity, did you read Ms. Marvel's previous run (the one that lasted 50 issues)? She definitely had her own identity in that book. It even sold very well for the first half, far better than this new book. If I recall correctly, at least one of the issues even made it in the top 20 of all comics that month. The new book on the other hand ranks around the 80s.

#14 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@daedalus25: Yes I did. I enjoyed it but I got the impression most didn't? She did to some extent have an identity but I felt much of it missed on the tomboy attitude that's so strong in the current run, which is something I believe very important to the character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.