Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4389 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Off My Mind: Why Ms. Marvel Should be the Next Captain Marvel

• 133 results
    MrSinister616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MrSinister616

Wasn't this the same girl that hired her own publicist so she could be as popular as Cap. and sided with the registration act and they want her to protect other species as a Captain Marvel? I am sorry but she always came off as too self centered to me and worried about her image to be a worthy protector like that.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By PowerHerc

There's only one Captain Marvel and he lives in the DC Universe.

Captain Mar-Vell was cool and pulled the name off for quite a while but since he's dead, the name should be retired in the Marvel Universe unless he is resurrected.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By KidSupreme

AMAZING! :D

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54  Edited By kennybaese

Ms. Marvel always seemed like a cool character to me, but she always seemed to just hang out in the background in the Avengers (I guess I haven't read any of her solo stuff, though). This would be a good way to bring her to the forefront not to mention a good way to try to develop a major female character, a criticism that gets leveled against Marvel on a fairly regular basis.

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By davelecave

@PowerHerc said:

Captain Mar-Vell was cool and pulled the name off for quite a while but since he's dead, the name should be retired in the Marvel Universe unless he is resurrected.

That dude no longer exists my friend.

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By PrimeDirective

Okay, here's why Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau, Teddy Altman/Dorrek VII, Noh-Varr, Genis and Phyla-Vell, and even Quasar are all completely invalid choices to take up the mantle currently...

First of all, the mantle of Captain Marvel is a huuuuuuuuuuge one to fill. In case you didn't know, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, and even Sentry (when he was still alive) all looked up to Mar-Vell. If anything, after his death, they looked up to him even more. He's a legend. He's the hero every hero in the Marvel universe aspires to be as great as. If it was crunch time and Mar-Vell was around, everyone immediately looked to him for leadership, including Captain America. If Steve Freakin' Rogers is willing to trust your judgement enough to play second fiddle in the back seat, then you're on a whole new level. Sentry even feared that Mar-Vell was the only one who could keep the Void in check if it ever fully got out (granted, Norn-empowered Thor godblasting it seemed to do the trick too, but I digress). Hell, the guy's nemesis was Thanos! THANOS! You know, the Mad Titan? Avatar of Death? Killed half the universe with his fancy jewelry glove by snapping his fingers? Yeah, him... If your primary villian of choice is Thanos, then you're either Mar-Vell, Drax the Destroyer, or a future stain on the wall.

So let's break it down person by person. Carol is far too hot-headed to be the kind of leader and paragon of justice, morality, and all-around goodness to fill his shoes.I mean she loses her calm the moment Rogue walks into the room. Self-control is definately lacking there. Noh-Varr, Genis and Phyla all have this problem too. They're all rash and quick-tempered. Their recklessness and arrogance has cost them all great loss from time to time. No one who lacks control to that degree has what it takes to be the next Captain Marvel in my opinion. That goes double for Genis and Phyla, who have both totally flipped their lids and become anti-heroes at best and borderline bad guys at worst. Noh-Varr has a checkered past too, but hopefully it's behind him. Unfortunately, that means a few years of character developing pennance as Protector before I'm willing to accept him as Captain Marvel.

As for Teddy, he's still far too young and inexperienced. One day, I can see him growing into it, but not yet. He's still got a lot of growing and learning to do. Seeing future-Teddy filling his father's shoes was definitely awesome, but not something that should happen right now (even if he was just freed up to do so at the end of Children's Crusade). I would like to see people like Captain America, Spider-Man, and the other big league heroes impart to Teddy bits of what his father meant to them and the things he stood for. It would cast a great shadow for Teddy to grow up in and aspire to surpass. It's a journey of growth, maturity, hard work, and training I'd like to see stretched out over the years and not rushed into sometime within the span of the next big crossover event.

And then there's Monica... Oh dearest Photon, how else shall I put this? Light words fall short, yet harsh truth causes me pain. Through no fault of your own and the misguided pens of many a writer, you have in fact been reduced to the point where you're only used in a slightly more serious context than Squirrel Girl. Sure you led the Avengers at one point! We believe you, honest! Why are you still looking at me like I doubt you? No, really... I was around for the whole tenure! I remember those days completely! No, no, no... Don't cry! You're not past your prime! Who told you that? I never said it! Wh...What's that? Would I be willing to call you Captain Marvel again? Umm... Well, uh... You see... Here's the thing, I was a kid when Mar-Vell died and that hit me kind of hard. No one could ever completely fill his shoes in my mind, so calling you Captain Marvel was always kind of hard for me... No, not at all! I think you're a great person, a capable leader, and a respectable heroic powerhouse, but the world needs someone to be Photon and you just do that so well... You know I love you, right? Yeah? No? Well, okay then... I guess you can sulk away back into obscurity and wallow around in self pity while dreaming about your glory days and whining about how no one takes you seriously anymore for a few more years if you want...

Who's left? Oh yeah! Quasar! Yeah... Wendell Vaugh. If anyone listed comes close, it's him. But the simple fact is if he dropped from the sky to Earth during an cosmic-level emergancy situation and started shouting orders to the other heroes rallied around, they'd want to bring him back to the Avenger's Mansion, Stark Tower, or the Baxter Building to give them all a three hour dissortation on why they should listen to him instead of Tony or Reed. He's got about as much authoritative pull as Nova, who Tony thought he could boss around last time they chatted. Whoever steps into the shoes of Captain Marvel needs to command the kind of authority to cut off Captain America mid-order, undermine it, and Steve not have a problem with it. Wendell is awesome, but he's not there yet. For now, he's Quasar and I feel like he fills that role just fine.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By LordRequiem

Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel is awesome, but with her binary powers and her costume she'd be even cooler. Lest we forget how powerful she is now anyway. Best female character, or at least my favourite.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I would like to Ms Marvel take role as Captain Marvel just because they dont have many female lead books. I dont know a whole lot about her or the others up for the title but she stands out more as a well known character because of her being around the avengers for as long as she has. Im excited about this new book and really hope she gets another spotlight moment.

Eet Mor Puppee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Eet Mor Puppee

No. Absolutely not. This is a stupid idea.

Here's why: Ms. Marvel has had a much bigger impact on the Avengers than Captain Marvel ever did. She's definitely become a more interesting character than he ever was, and she's possibly even more famous. The answer is using her more frequently, not giving her another pointless name change. Moving her from 'Ms.' to 'Captain' would actually be a demotion in this case.

Especially since she was actually a Colonel..

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By ReVamp

Don't make her Captain Marvel, but please do give her her own title.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By Lvenger

It is time that Carol Danvers made a big impact in the Marvel Universe. Having a female character taking over the role of Captain Marvel would provide a boost in sales as well as a gap in the market for female audiences. If Ms Marvel graduates to become Captain Marvel then it would show that Marvel are committed to having female characters play a major role in their universe. It would give Carol's character a chance to evolve as well and Marvel haven't been particularly good with female characters and their own title recently. Carol's my top choice though Monica Rambeau would be cool. I don't think Genis or Mar-Vell should return as that cheapens their deaths which isn't needed in comics IMO.

frochez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By frochez

The pictures of the three Ms Marvel/Binary costumes don't match up; there's one too many right arms/hands. The lower body on the right should be paried with the middle torso fo the costumes to match up, but that would give her two right fists...

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By X35

Wasn't Carol a captain when she was in the army too?

with this kind of push, Ms Marvel could become more of an a-list character. She's got everything an A-List female needs really. :D

MrStatham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MrStatham

An idea would be to actually give her a writer who finds her interesting, this time around. Reed gave more of a crap about her supporting cast and his own concepts than Carol, who just seemed like wallpaper in her own book. Her series also didn't seem to know who it was being marketed toward. Was it meant to pull in female readers by virtue of having a female lead, or was it, with the Frank Cho and ugly, ugly Greg Horn covers, meant to bring in the teenage boys?

psbrown1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By psbrown1989

I agree with this article completely

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#66  Edited By The Impersonator  Online

Ms. Marvel 2006 series was an awesome read. Can't wait to see her back. Hopefully.....

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@AlKusanagi: There hasn't been a good cosmic title since the end of Thanos Imperative and that wasn't as good as everything that led up to it. As a matter of fact since the Annihilators mini ended I don't think there has been a single cosmic title.

FYI I was being sarcastic in my original post. The lack of cosmic stuff would imply that her being placed with the Starjammers and Guardians would mean back into Marvel obscurity. But I guess its better then she's been written for the last few years.

DarkerPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DarkerPhoenix

@wdchefdave: yikes there's a lot of sexist comments on here.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By lykopis

@X35 said:

with this kind of push, Ms Marvel could become more of an a-list character. She's got everything an A-List female needs really. :D

Yep. She was/is.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SpidermanWins

Yes she should

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PrimeDirective

@DarkerPhoenix: Anything specific you'd like to point out? I don't think I used any in my post. Mine entirely had to do with personality and character, two things completely separate from gender. Also, in other posts, I seem to see a lot of people either wanting her to stay Ms. Marvel and for her to be treated appropriately by the writers (in other words, calling the writers to quit being sexist with her), agreeing with the article and still calling for the same change in approach to her by the writers, those who want Monica Rambeau to no longer be treated like a joke (another call for writers to end sexism), or for Teddy or Noh-Varr to step up as they've both been shown in the future they have the potential to fill Mar-Vell's shoes one day. Where's the "a lot of sexist comments on here" you speak of, because I see a lot of the opposite in this thread.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#72  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

No, in doing that Marvel would just be diminishing her character further than they already have. Marvel NEEDS it's own female titles, they need to take their strong female characters that they already have and established and give them a chance with a creative team that not only loves the characters but has new and exciting ideas that could make them big hits for readers new and old. But giving Ms. Marvel the title of a dead hero isn't the way to go and would only put her in the shadows of not only another hero, but a MALE hero and that just doesn't seem right.

Ms. Marvel on her own is a great character and has a great name. If Marvel would simply give her a chance I believe she could become a huge success and even dare to say she could contend with the likes of characters like Cap, Spider-Man, and Iron Man. Marvel just needs to get that through their heads and give her a shot with a deserving creative team. But she should be able to do that on her own with her own name, not the name of another hero.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#73  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Cronoman66 said:

I really liked her solo series, it dragged a little towards the end but it was very enjoyable. Would like to see her evolve a bit as a character however and this could do it.

However this seems to me like a forced attempt to bring the character back to spite DC with them renaming him SHAZAM. Or that could just be my cynical side talking

I think it's more to do with DC retiring the Name so Marvel can now use it without the legal complications 
    windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By windcaster

I think they should give title to  Monica Rambeau that way she could get out of comic limbo and give Carol her own series again.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#75  Edited By DMC

Hopefully Ms Marvel's promotion will come with either a throwback Captain Marvel costume (of some kind) or something new altogether. Sorry her current one is too close to the Phoenix.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By PowerHerc

@davelecave said:

@PowerHerc said:

That dude no longer exists my friend.

Sure he does.

DC has just moth-balled him for now. He'll be back when the "New 52" fizzles.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ReVamp

@DMC said:

Hopefully Ms Marvel's promotion will come with either a throwback Captain Marvel costume (of some kind) or something new altogether. Sorry her current one is too close to the Phoenix.

I liked her Warbird one. Slight modifications would be cool.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#78  Edited By JonesDeini

I never considered this as an option, that'd be cool though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edc72068d57d
    deactivated-5edc72068d57d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhood21 said:

id rather see genis or mar back as captain marvel

Why? They are both pretty bland. Carol becoming Captain Marvel is a far more interesting development.

Eet Mor Puppee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Eet Mor Puppee

@X35 said:

She was a Captain. Then she was a Major. Then a Lieutenant Colonel. Then a Colonel. Now she's a superhero.

Calling her 'Captain' would be backtracking. And it's the stupidest idea ever.

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By PrimeDirective
    @VenomMeendez: Did you seriously just call Mar-Vell bland? You either don't know enough about Marv or you have the most bizarre definition of bland I've ever heard. First off, everything they tried to make Sentry out to be, Marv was back in the early 80's. Captain America looked up to Marv, aspiring to be like him for cryin' out loud! Also, despite rocking enough power to list Thanos as his nemesis, Marv had contracted an incurable form of cancer, fighting to the end to make the future as bright as it could be after he was gone. In the end though, the cancer took its toll and Marv died inquite possibly the most revered, respected, and emotional comic book death of all time. So yeah, either you're trolling or all I have to say is "kids these days..."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:

It's going to be Mar-Vell. Already confirmed. By Remender himself.

Actually, it isn't really Mar-Vell. Read the solicits, it's a fake that works for Minister Marvel and the recent Solicit for Secret Avengers has him fighting the Avengers, because he's preventing them from saving the Kree from the Phoenix. And writers have lied.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PrimeDirective: I did indeed, because he is. Most people don't even know who he is these days and the only good story he had was the one where he died. he was only created because Marvel noticed DC forgot to copyright the Captain Marvel name and even with that, DC's Captain Marvel is far more well known and interesting that Mar-Vell.

Monica,Phyla,Carol and Genis are all more well known a better choices for the Title. Plus, they are all far more interesting.

Plus Marvel needs another Female lead book and promoting Carol to Captain Marvel is a nice bonus. Plus, Carol actually is military.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#85  Edited By InnerVenom123

@VenomMelendez said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

It's going to be Mar-Vell. Already confirmed. By Remender himself.

Actually, it isn't really Mar-Vell. Read the solicits, it's a fake that works for Minister Marvel and the recent Solicit for Secret Avengers has him fighting the Avengers, because he's preventing them from saving the Kree from the Phoenix. And writers have lied.

Ah.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By X35

@VenomMelendez: Really? I remember Remender teasing on Twitter saying it was Mar-Vell and it wasn't a Skrull or a clone and was the real deal... writers are a bunch of liars!!

Ahhhh, at least Noh-Varr can last longer now.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By fps_dean

Ms. Marvel is Ms. Marvel, not Captain Marvell. She got her powers from the Captain, but is her own character other than that.

And yes, please give Ms. Marvel hr own series already!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#88  Edited By cbishop
    EDIT: Annnnnnd comment retracted.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Would love for her to have her own series again, she is one of my favorites!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By evilvegeta74

No one can replace Mar-vell and the thought of that is totally absurd. Remender already tweeted that the real Mar-Vell is coming back in july,there's no need to entertain the thought of otherwise period!

TheComicMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By TheComicMan99

The thing is once she becomes captain marvel...will someone (maybe genus vell) will kill her out of jelousy

QuantomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By QuantomMan

that would be pretty stinking sweet if she gets it

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@TheComicMan99 said:

The thing is once she becomes captain marvel...will someone (maybe genus vell) will kill her out of jelousy

If Carol were to die shortly after becoming Captain Marvel then, that will be the single greatest moment of Marvel giving the fans the middle finger ever.

WildValentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#94  Edited By WildValentine
    @Citizenv said:

Why Ms. Marvel shouldn't be Captain Marvel.

She is boring. Hal Jordan-level boring. But unlike Hal, she doesn't have an incredible supporting mythos and I doubt she will get one soon.

Get out. Seriously. The door is over there, take it.
    redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By redhood21

.@VenomMelendez said:

@PrimeDirective: I did indeed, because he is. Most people don't even know who he is these days and the only good story he had was the one where he died. he was only created because Marvel noticed DC forgot to copyright the Captain Marvel name and even with that, DC's Captain Marvel is far more well known and interesting that Mar-Vell.

Monica,Phyla,Carol and Genis are all more well known a better choices for the Title. Plus, they are all far more interesting.

Plus Marvel needs another Female lead book and promoting Carol to Captain Marvel is a nice bonus. Plus, Carol actually is military.

i think thats why it should be Mar-vell, remender writes awesome stories and good characters so this is the perfect time to bring back Mar-Vell to a whole new generation and make him more than an open copy right or that guy who died before most of us were born. if marvel wants more strong female leads they should give them a solo with the creative team to do it, not put them in another person shoes...but then again remender would be my choice to launch any characters ongoing.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Carol does deserve it the most, the right to be Captain finally. It would be far too obvious to have Mar-Vell take the title back in a day and age in which comic book death is so cliche anymore. My money's on Danvers.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

Nah I like Ms.Marvel but no way she can't be the next Captain Marvel they are better off bringing back genis val or Mar vell to me she isn't fit to carry the Captain name. Let alone the marvel name in general.

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By lb70145

About damn time.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By GREGalicious

Meh to the title change.

I love CAROL and she has always been one of my favorite characters (and AVENGERS) ever since I was first introduced to her in the episode, "A Rogue's Tale", of X-MEN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. While she would make a great Captain Marvel, I would much rather she stay exactly who she is. Although she has done great feats as both BINARY and WARBIRD, she has come so far and accomplished so much in the name of MS MARVEL and it would be a shame to throw that all away. If she were to change her codename, I would much rather she used one of her former names; names that were unique to her.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Well who ever it is, it's not that high on my Marvel read list but hey, I might get it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.