Ms Marvel compared to Thor

#1 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (296 posts) - - Show Bio

How powerful is Ms Marvel I have only ever seen her in a few secret invasion capters and some early x-men stories so an evaluation of her CURRENT power level would be appreciated and since she looks like a powerhouse in the avengers how does she measure up compared to the mighty Thor!

#2 Posted by davelecave (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

"Recent tests by Avengers scientist Hank Pym have shown that Ms. Marvel's base strength level is still increasing. Even when not augmented by any additional energy, Carol can now lift 92 tons and strike with a similar level of force, and Pym has theorized that this is likely not her limit."

#3 Posted by fps_dean (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is still more powerful, but Ms Marvel is one of the most powerful heroes.

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel isn't even half as powerful as Thor.
#5 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio
@davelecave said:
"Recent tests by Avengers scientist Hank Pym have shown that Ms. Marvel's base strength level is still increasing. Even when not augmented by any additional energy, Carol can now lift 92 tons and strike with a similar level of force, and Pym has theorized that this is likely not her limit."

out of curiosity, what issue/series was this in?
#6 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

She is a powerhouse in her own right, but not on the levels of Thor, but I do believe she is one of the biggest female powerhouses at the moment.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
@davelecave said:
out of curiosity, what issue/series was this in?
Those "tests" aren't recent.That statement is from CV's wiki which was taken from the wikipedia which wikipedia claims it got from an issue in Avengers v3 when Ms.Marvel wasn't even class 75 yet.
#8 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as power level I've always kinda seen Ms. Marvel as Iron Man level in strength and energy output. She just does it without technology.

#9 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for th info the more I hear a bout her the more interesting she sounds I was looking through another thread and It said she used to be an alcoholic is this true? Can she still turn into binary? and would you say she would be a match for she hulk?
#10 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
She is a powerhouse in her own right, but not on the levels of Thor, but I do believe she is one of the biggest female powerhouses at the moment.
I agree with this.
#11 Posted by UltraHeroix (155 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hoarderofhilarity: I would say she would  be a match for She Hulk, even a slight advantage due to the variety of powers w/flight, energy projection and super strength (simialr strength level).
#12 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hoarderofhilarity said:
Thanks for th info the more I hear a bout her the more interesting she sounds I was looking through another thread and It said she used to be an alcoholic is this true? Can she still turn into binary? and would you say she would be a match for she hulk?
She was an alcoholic at the beginning of Avengers vol 3 when she was going by Warbird after losing her Binary powers. She can sort of turn into Binary but only temporarily if she's able to absorb enough energy. As for being a match for She-Hulk I'd say yes because of her training and all her powers, in terms of pure strength I'd say She-Hulk is physically stronger than Carol.
#13 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see a battle between those twothey really are some real hard hitters. It is to my understanding that she dated wonderman is this true and how would a lovers tiff between them two play out?

Much appreciated for the info alas I go off to hunt trolls on the battles board yonder.

#14 Posted by Jetshade (421 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel is no match for Thor, but few are. She's still one of Marvel's most powerful female heroes.

Though you wouldn't know it from the current New Avengers title. Apparently Bendis has decided that Ms. Marvel's story arc will be nothing more than her getting her butt kicked in every issue. He is really ticking me off. >:(

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

I love 'em both, but:

Ms. Marvel <<<<<<<<<<<<<Thor.

There is no comparison.

#16 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

She is extremely powerful and I think in a fight she could push Thor to use his higher level powers at which point he would prevail.

#17 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel is definitely one of the most powerful superheroes around; that is a simple fact. She absorbs all forms of energy, she can withstand extreme levels of punishment and (as previous posters have stated) has offensive powers that would put most of the other Avengers to shame.

As far as being compared to Thor is concerned, in her basic form, she would probably not have enough to take him down. Her photon blasts are varying in strength, but her normal blasts are actually quite weak. M.O.D.O.K shrugged it off as if it was a fly. However, if she absorbs too much energy (to the point where she can't control it, see Ms. Marvel: Dark Reign) it's devastatingly powerful. When Carol goes into Binary mode, however, she's often compared to Phoenix. It sort of is her own form of Phoenix and, going off Reed's run of Ms. Marvel, she has the power to destroy entire planets (destroyed the Brood homeworld and almost exterminated their race). 

In summary:
Ms. Marvel vs Thor - Thor wins
Binary Ms. Marvel vs Thor - Ms. Marvel wins

#18 Posted by Aqua11500 (2632 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect: Nothing like Phoenix,not even in Binary. 

Though she can slug it out with him.
#19 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

She at least has a cuter booty than Thor, at least from (most) guy's perspective. But power wise, not even close. But she's in a very large class there. 

#20 Posted by cattlebattle (13401 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Database has her down as potential class 100, I guess the more energy she absorbs, the more powerful she becomes

I would like to see her become an uber powerful character, in league with Thor

#21 Posted by DrHon (10 posts) - - Show Bio

this ones actually kinda difficult, i mean ms marvel has a ridiculous array of powers and we've seen her use it when defending manhattan from the skrull and almost driving them to extinction, shes also got a kewl killer/ sadistic side where she can take skrull hulks to space and watch them suffocate to death, as well as healing abilities that can put wolverines' to shame (according to dr mccoy)and this is all without us even talking about binary mode...however we still are talking about THOR!!! i mean this guy was designed to be the ultimate marvel dude and i think hes proved it... the only way i can really see ms marvel getting on top of thor (pun intended) is if he decides to be a charmer and not hit a girl (but im sure hes in for one hell of an ass whopping if he decided to do that ;) otherwise im guessing Thor would win but he'll definately need to work a sweat for it

#22 Posted by lightfright12 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoarderofhilarity: Thor, because Thor is a god, while Carol is an augmented human.

#23 Posted by SC (13402 posts) - - Show Bio

Since both are fictional characters, there could never be one truly single, constant, absolute answer with comparison, but for all intents and purposes as far as creative and demonstrative consistency there would be a gulf in power when comparing the character of Ms Marvel to the character of Thor. Not intended to be an accurate comparison in comparison but it might be akin to comparing Starfire to Superman. Ms Marvel and Starfire are pretty powerful, and their power levels can fluctuate and there is no reason to think that they could be written to be more powerful, at a writers/Marvel's discretion, but all that aside, Thor similarly to, but not quite to Superman, since his inception has always been considered at the top of his game relative to other characters power wise respectively, arguably as well, not only with fans, but even writers (although writers tend to be more polite and reasoned about these things, and also more reserved)  

I always thought the mythological angle of Thor's belt and gauntlets being in Marvel were sort of silly, since without them he was already too powerful for cross overs but I always thought it could be cool if say he decided to give them to Ms Marvel to use at her discretion. Make her like almost Thor/Surfer/Sentry/Hulk/Hercules class (general, broad class) Marvel needs more ridiculously powered females, its just more fun.  

#24 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you for the responses and I would just like to add that I knew Thor was more powerful than Ms Marvel I simply used him as a benchmark.

So says The Hoarder.

#25 Posted by chiq (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

Her binary mode should be up there. I definitely see her in that hulk/herc/thor class individuals. not sure if she can still reach those levels though....

#26 Posted by Glarinetta (389 posts) - - Show Bio

Normal Ms. marvel is powerful, but no even near to Thor. Binary could put good fight, but still not even close.

#27 Posted by linkjt (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Normal Ms. marvel is powerful, but no even near to Thor. Binary could put good fight, but still not even close.

Binary is close above Thor in energy powers,both characters are supposed to be planet busters,but the truth is they are n0t consistently written in that level,so they are actually closer in power than some people think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.