Ms > Captain

• 59 results
#51 Posted by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

^Expertly said. I hope this current CM gets cancelled so we can go back to Ms Marvel. I quit after #3.

CIN.

#52 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree so much, she is military it is ridiculously misogynistic to call her Ms Marvel, it's ok for Kr fantastic as he has no rank or career teaching, just as invisible girl became invisible woman less patronising names must be given to characters or your installing sexism into the young, which is unforgivable in this day and age in the developed world.

Now if a film is made or even the next run of comics I hope they call her Colonel Marvel, she is already Colonel Danvers to captain America and the gang so why not transfer it to her hero name just as Captain America has done... I think she would be a good replacement for Iron Man when Robert Downey jnr retires.

I know some people have issues with change, hopefully your all over the age of 40 if you are set in your ways, but think about your kids, especially if you have daughters, do you really want them being called ms if they are a colonel in the United States airforce? Would you be happy if captain America was renamed Mr America?

#53 Posted by Dernman (15082 posts) - - Show Bio

#54 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

The Captain Marvel name and colors are much better. She juxtaposes with Spectrum's colors well now too.

I really hope Marvel gives her a movie to call her own in Wave 3.

#55 Edited by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'm on the fence about the costume (I like it and it seems more in character for Carol but her Warbird outfit is very unique and iconic and I prefer the domino mask). I dislike her hair in that Mohawk thing (but then again I just hate Mohawk hairstyles in general) and miss the long hair. But I think changing her name to Captain Marvel is long over due.

Carol has been more popular, more used and overall better known and by this point the most worthy to inherit the name. While I always thought Scarlet Witch was Marvel's equivalent of Wonder Woman, Carol has always been one of Marvel's most prominent heroines. Since Mar-Vell's death, there have been many other Captain Marvels but Carol has always been on the fore front. She's been an Avenger, a stable hero with her own character development, a government agent and a intergalactic hero. She has been much more than just the distaff counterpart to Captain Mar-Vell.

Now I won't get into the who "calling her Ms. Marvel is sexist" bit that others have gotten into. I have no real problem with Carol being called Ms. Marvel. But to me at least, Captain Marvel just fits Carol's origins and arc, having evolved beyond who she started as, beyond even Mar-Vell himself. In the wake of his death, Carol has proven again and again that she is worthy to succeed his name.

(And to the comment that it "reduces her to another legacy character" I say does being a legacy character reduce ANY of the Flashs(es?) characters? How about the Green Lanterns? Bucky!Captain America? Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man 2099 or Spider-Girl? Terry McGinnis? Or anyone else who went by the name Captain Marvel in the Marvel U?)

#56 Posted by linkjt (413 posts) - - Show Bio

i prefer the ms marvel identity,but with captain marvel,some great things have happended,her sales have improved,her power has increased,she is getting more recognotion.

#57 Posted by linkjt (413 posts) - - Show Bio

she has been a character with her own identity,i prefer the MS Marvel as her hero name,but she has had great moments as Captain Marvel and i'm glad she is getting more exposure.

#58 Posted by daedalus25 (121 posts) - - Show Bio

@linkjt: While she is definitely getting a lot more recognition, it's only because Marvel is trying to throw her into everything they can. But the same could have been done with Ms. Marvel - it's just they didn't. It's nothing to do with the name but how much Marvel is willing to market the character.

And also, her sales haven't improved at all. They pretty much hit an all-time low for Carol. Her sales were highest when she had her own "Ms. Marvel" title. The "Captain Marvel" book is just barely hanging in there. I'm still confident that Ms. Marvel is coming back, but it might be a long wait before the current regime at Marvel has moved on. (Or if they happen to make a successful Ms. Marvel movie, since these days the comic books tend to follow movie ideas.)

#59 Posted by A_A_A (57 posts) - - Show Bio

i like Captain Marvel. I don't mind...

#60 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13132 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: this (although Warbird was pretty cool)

#61 Posted by linkjt (413 posts) - - Show Bio

@linkjt: While she is definitely getting a lot more recognition, it's only because Marvel is trying to throw her into everything they can. But the same could have been done with Ms. Marvel - it's just they didn't. It's nothing to do with the name but how much Marvel is willing to market the character.

And also, her sales haven't improved at all. They pretty much hit an all-time low for Carol. Her sales were highest when she had her own "Ms. Marvel" title. The "Captain Marvel" book is just barely hanging in there. I'm still confident that Ms. Marvel is coming back, but it might be a long wait before the current regime at Marvel has moved on. (Or if they happen to make a successful Ms. Marvel movie, since these days the comic books tend to follow movie ideas.)

i think some things could be done better,but at least Marvel is really trying to do something for her,it's good to see they care because she is a great character and has potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.