First take on Captain Marvel #1

#1 Posted by gats_botl (78 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my first read or look into Captain Marvel, i loved the book and was instantly hooked. i love the art it is great with aspects of weird and wonderful things to come. i was just a bit bemused with the whole name of captain marvel i would of appreciated it a little more, if the whole MS marvel was involved. Dont get me wrong i dont mind the name but it makes me think of a guy because of the "captain" in the name. anyways great story great art and i will continue to read her :)

whats your views?

#2 Posted by gats_botl (78 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone?

#3 Posted by War Killer (19521 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the new costume, but there was no need to change her name.

#4 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the new costume, love the art and the direction it's taking.

#5 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it. I'm glad to see the name and costume change, both were dated.

#6 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

Why a colonel would go around as a captain seem's strange to me.

Way off topic but when did carol get promoted to colonel last I remember she was a major in the air force.

#7 Edited by TheCommissar (143 posts) - - Show Bio

It was just okay. Nothing particularly dynamic happened, and the art is pretty unfitting (not bad, just out of place. Seems more proper in a post-apocalyptic or horror book), especially considering the contrast with the incredibly bright and proud cover. I'll give it a few more issues to build things up before I decide its fate in my reading list.

While I like the new costume, the name change felt too forced. Not to mention unnecessary. Plus it was just plain strange how both Captain America and Spider-Man were suddenly against the name "Ms. Marvel" (to be fair, with Spider-Man it was more unclear, but it seemed to be implied he wasn't a fan of the Ms. Marvel name for no particular reason).

Personally, I think the name "Ms. Marvel" does kinda sound submissive, which is something Carol isn't, but I don't like the idea of her taking on a legacy name. If she were to have a new hero name, a more unique one would be preferred, however I won't throw a tantrum over this decision. It is, after all, still Carol Danvers---the heroine we all love---so I'm willing to support this series as long as it's decently written.

#8 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCommissar: Well said. Pretty much my feelings on the issue.

#9 Posted by kreewarrior (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@gats_botl: Agree. I cant get used to Carol as Captain Marvel.....although the name did work for Monica Rambeau in the Avengers back in the day. I guess it will sync in eventually.

#10 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

I was meh on it.

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (13740 posts) - - Show Bio

The costume sucks,the art is nothing special and nothing intriguing.Only the writing is kinda good.

#12 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVE the art in the fist few and last couple issues!

#13 Edited by tg1982 (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

So far, I'm diggin' the whole series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.