Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4389 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Captain Marvel Writer?

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NeoAndroid

The writer for Captain Marvel, Ms Marvels new title, i havent heard of Kelly Sue DeConnick and i was just wondering if anyone has read any books or something of hers and can say wheter shes good or not? Or is she a new writer? Like can she do strong women well, etc.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By jsphsmth
    NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NeoAndroid

@jsphsmth: Thanks, yeah i looked at that before writing the topic just to see if there any comics i recognized and there weren't. I guess shes new then.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Strider1992

@NeoAndroid: I read her run on the Spider-man villain series Osborn she did a pretty good job on it :)

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NeoAndroid

@Strider92: Oh that's a relief, i was worried that they have given her to someone who is basically using the book as a "Trial" Writer to see if they can write for the bigger books. Maybe it will be better than bendis's previous work. Do you happen to have read any comic's that the new artist has done as well?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strider1992

@NeoAndroid: Yeah I have read a few with Dexter Soy's art in (Army of Two and a Gears Of war comic). His art is great. For some reason though the colorist who is doing Ms Marvel seems to have made everything dark. I know its not Soy's lines because his work on army of two was great but you can see a big difference:

army Of Two:

Captain Marvel 1:

But so far my favorite rendition has been Dodson's Captain Marvel(Avenging Spider-man 9 and 10). He can make absolutely anything look great T.T:

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NeoAndroid

@Strider92: Nice work on the Army of Two, though i wonder who the colourists is on Captain Marvel 1 to make her like that? Also is Avenging Spider 9+10 out yet? I liked spider man maybe i should start on Avenging if its in its early stages (issue wise). Good to know shes got a good writer and a great line artist. Though that Captain marvel 1 preview still looks awesome even if a bit dark.

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By capelesscrusader

I actually have a pretty decent rundown after having read the first issue while meeting Ms. DeConnick.

Check it out here

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strider1992

@NeoAndroid said:

@Strider92: Nice work on the Army of Two, though i wonder who the colourists is on Captain Marvel 1 to make her like that? Also is Avenging Spider 9+10 out yet? I liked spider man maybe i should start on Avenging if its in its early stages (issue wise). Good to know shes got a good writer and a great line artist. Though that Captain marvel 1 preview still looks awesome even if a bit dark.

Do not bother with Avenging imo its not that great. I'm picking up issues 9 and 10 simply because Deconnick is writing and Dodson is drawing (gonna be a great combo). You can try a few issues for yourself to judge as this is just my opinion maybe the stories just don't appeal to me(i'm quite harsh when it comes to stories so maybe i'm being too judgmental lol) but as i said Deconnick+Dodson in issues 9 and 10 will be awesome so i'll definitely be forking out money for those two.

If you are interested in Spider-man you could try Amazing Spider-man as that's currently the best Spider-man title going. The Ends Of The Earth arc that just finished (Amazing Spdier-man 682-687) was a good arc alternatively you could just wait until issue 700 as its apparently going to be a jump in point for new readers (we're currently on issue 688).

From what i've been seeing and hearing Spider-man is going to be appearing in Captain Marvel quite a few times down the line (as apparently Deconnick finds writing him lots of fun to do) and Captain Marvel is going to be appearing in quite a few Spider-man issues later on. Not really sure what they're planing to do with the pair -.o

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NeoAndroid

@capelesscrusader: That was a really good rundown, im glad you got to see some finished script, and a time travel arc sounds great. Did she give any reason for her hair to be cut like it is? lol But no im glad there finally trying with Ms Marvel since she is an excellent character. And good write up also :)

@Strider92: if the Ends of the Earth are in a collected format ill buy it, i have always been interested in spider-man but with Amazing Spider-Man being so long i always thought i had to start from the first issue to work my way up to understand it. I'm glad that there going to appear more together due to the fact there in New Avengers and in her Previous Books have a form of Chemistry where your questioning yourself "Is it good flirty friends, or is it more?" So im glad they will be crossing over, also will give more Spider Man fans a chance to see Ms.M in a new light as well, and the same for us Ms.M fans for spidey.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Strider1992

@NeoAndroid said:

also will give more Spider Man fans a chance to see Ms.M in a new light as well

This was basically how I got introduced to her. I happened to pick up a comic with them both in and liked her character so I ended up trying out her solo series (which was pretty damn good). hadn't heard of her before I picked up that comic.

@NeoAndroid said:

in her Previous Books have a form of Chemistry where your questioning yourself "Is it good flirty friends, or is it more?" So im glad they will be crossing over

Well Deconnick liked Brian's work on the pair and apparently wants to continue the flirtatious side between them (but not at the moment but later on in the series once Cap Marvel has taken off not to mention with everything thats going on in ASM at the moment it would be nigh impossible to fit it in).

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12  Edited By capelesscrusader

@NeoAndroid: Glad you enjoyed the article. I did NOT ask her about the haircut, mostly because I think that's probably more of an artist note. I think that they'll probably allow artists to play with the style, especially since she utilizes a helmet. I think it's fair. The woman in my life changes her 'do often enough that I find it completely workable.

I love that Carol is getting a spotlight. I have always thought she had the potential to be truly badass, and would love to see her really reach an epic level of triumph.

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NeoAndroid

@Strider92: Yeah my only beef with her previous solo series was the way in which it ended, seemed very rushed. I had happened that they may of kept warren the time traveler from her first series as kind of like a reoccurring villain, but they didn't happen, and since Ms.M beat Moonstone so bad Moonstone wont be an equal footing villain so be interesting to see if they give her a "Villain" as sorts like Captain America has Red Skull, Spider-Woman always has Hydra,etc Spider-Man has Norman and Venom, etc Maybe they will turn the story teller child into her villain?

@capelesscrusader: I understand that about the haircut, i just wondered if there actually was a story reason since Ms Marvel has always had long hair since she put on the the Lighting Strike Uniform, so i wondered if it was a plot point, that she cut her hair to fix to her new role, etc. And Yeah was a good article :)

And i am the same i just hope everything goes right for Carol in this because she could be Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman just more badass in my opinion anyway.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strider1992

@NeoAndroid: Yeah the ending was a little odd and it would be good for Carol to have a good villain apart from Mystique who she could potentially one-shot lol.

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NeoAndroid

@Strider92: Yeah i understood Mystique when she was depowered because of the whole rogue thing, but now she could just fly to mystique and cosmic blast her especially since she was shown in Secret Avengers AvX able to reach the Binary level again. Would make her more "renowned" as well since everyone knows when there's Norman Osborn you call Spider Man, Red Skull Capt, so it would be nice if it was "call Ms.M its ...."

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strider1992

@NeoAndroid: Well I did like Moonstone as her nemesis but isn't she on the good side now? Kinda punches a hole in that.

Maybe they'll come up with a new character.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By X35
    NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NeoAndroid

@Strider92: Yeah or atleast shes "trying to be" depends on how long that lasts i guess. But it would be great if it was a new villian just for Ms M.

@X35: Is that good or bad?

ChaosMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ChaosMarvel

@Strider92 said:

@NeoAndroid said:

This was basically how I got introduced to her. I happened to pick up a comic with them both in and liked her character so I ended up trying out her solo series (which was pretty damn good). hadn't heard of her before I picked up that comic.

@NeoAndroid said:

in her Previous Books have a form of Chemistry where your questioning yourself "Is it good flirty friends, or is it more?" So im glad they will be crossing over

Well Deconnick liked Brian's work on the pair and apparently wants to continue the flirtatious side between them (but not at the moment but later on in the series once Cap Marvel has taken off not to mention with everything thats going on in ASM at the moment it would be nigh impossible to fit it in).

What is your opinion on this? Have you got anything against the pairing?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Strider1992

@ChaosMarvel said:

@Strider92 said:

@NeoAndroid said:

@NeoAndroid said:

Who me? Well i've got nothing against it as such (its a good way for Spider-man fans to get introduced to Captain Marvel and visa verse and if done right it would be an amusing pairing) but if i'm completely honest I don't think they could get it to work for very long. Theres to much of a difference in powerlevels.

Although I have to admit it would be funny to see Carol saving Pete from his enemies a few times if they did set them up but eventually its going to seem stretched. I mean if you're going out with a woman who can one-shot most of your enemies and is also on the same team as you its pretty hard to pull of a consistent story. If Spider-man wasn't on the Avengers I could see it working.

So no i've got nothing against the pair as seeing Carol save Pete's ass a few times would be pretty fun but unfortunately due to the powerlevel differences it probably wouldn't last long. Thats if they managed to write it well!

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By daedalus25

@Strider92 said:

@ChaosMarvel said:

@Strider92 said:

@NeoAndroid said:

@NeoAndroid said:

Who me? Well i've got nothing against it as such (its a good way for Spider-man fans to get introduced to Captain Marvel and visa verse and if done right it would be an amusing pairing) but if i'm completely honest I don't think they could get it to work for very long. Theres to much of a difference in powerlevels.

Although I have to admit it would be funny to see Carol saving Pete from his enemies a few times if they did set them up but eventually its going to seem stretched. I mean if you're going out with a woman who can one-shot most of your enemies and is also on the same team as you its pretty hard to pull of a consistent story. If Spider-man wasn't on the Avengers I could see it working.

So no i've got nothing against the pair as seeing Carol save Pete's ass a few times would be pretty fun but unfortunately due to the powerlevel differences it probably wouldn't last long. Thats if they managed to write it well!

This is exactly why I've said this pairing can't work. Spider-Man fans want Spider-Man to be the hero of the story, and it would become less and less plausible with someone as powerful as Ms. Marvel hanging around. Spider-Man needs a "damsel in distress" that he can save. Marvel needs to put Spidey back with Mary Jane. If they really feel the need to pair Carol with someone, they can pair her back with Captain Mar-Vell when he makes his (rumored) return.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Strider1992

@daedalus25: Well it could work for a little while but ultimately it would eventually end. For example if Spider-man wasn't one the Avengers(I really hope he drops out soon of that team!) you could throw in that Carol is just too busy with the Avengers to help Pete with his streetlevel life (which is probably true) and have her appear more as a supporting character in the Spider-man comics and him as a supporting character in her title(for dates or something) rather than actually have either of them being actively involved with each others comic and perhaps have her save his ass once or twice. Thats the only way I see a relationship between them working.

If Spider-man goes back to Mary Jane then Slott will go from being one of my favorite writers to another one who annoyed me! They made OMD with the sole reason of breaking him and Mary Jane up if they put them back together now it will just make an incredibly bad idea so much worse!!!!! I would sooner see Carol and Peter than Mary Jane and Peter again...........thats how much i'm against it lol!!!!

We'll just have to see what Deconnick has planned for the pair -.o

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NeoAndroid

@Strider92: I agree that it wouldn't work if she was always saving them like that. I think your idea is good, i think though its defiantly something there going to be looking more into because of there flirtatiousness nature is in New Avengers, Her Book, Etc. I think its an enjoyable pairing if only for awhile. I mean it would add some comedy and unusual situation to Ms.M's life. Also she unlike MJ wouldn't like to be sitting on the back bench if someone tried to kill her, she would go all Binary death stare on them.

@daedalus25: She's Captain Marvel now and i saw the comic of him coming back he soon went back to where he came from its good to mix and match different couplings. If he went back to Mary Jane then it breaks the whole story point of breaking them up.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By darthfury78

Let's remember that Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel are very good friends. In addition, don't expect Dan Slott to explore this relationship as he clearly has stated that he has no desire to ever do a relationship(mutual or otherwise) between Spider-Man x Super Heroine. This is why he killed off Silver Sable.. And if he had gotten his way, Dan Slott would have killed off The Black Cat. Besides Spider-Man's mutual relationship with Carol Danvers is much better than Hawkeye's relationship with Spider-Woman because it seems forced in my opinion.

Going back to Peter Parker x Carol Danvers, I do not expect their relationship to turn into a romantic version for obvious reasons. On the other hand, Spider-Man doesn't have a lot of super heroines who are his close friends. And Ms. Marvel is actually the first. But I feel that Peter's mutual friendship with a super heroine must be expanded to include a few others to ensure that no one heroine stands out as a potential love interest. The ideal list of heroines would get along with Spider-Man very well in the same manner as Ms. Marvel are as follows:

Psylocke

Spider-Woman

Silver Sable

Black Widow

She-Hulk(Jennifer Walters)

For readers who might not like Ms. Marvel x Spider-Man because they think it would turn into a romantic relationship, the other five heroines might be of interest. I have excluded The Black Cat because the heroines mentioned are alternate crime fighting partners for Spider-Man, as well as the chance to hangout together out of costume. Something that is not being done with Felicia Hardy x Peter Parker, thanks to Marvel making her forget that Peter is Spider-Man.

None the less, I do see Peter Parker x Carol Danvers mutual relationship taking its time. But do not expect to see Carol saving Spider-Man or vice versa because that would get very boring. Instead, expect them to work together in ways that their talents could compliment each other towards making the stories interesting to read about. This is what makes a comic book series successful.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By X35

Oh here we go again.......

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By fodigg

Damn I hadn't seen that preview yet. That looks awesome.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By daedalus25

@NeoAndroid said:

@daedalus25: She's Captain Marvel now and i saw the comic of him coming back he soon went back to where he came from its good to mix and match different couplings. If he went back to Mary Jane then it breaks the whole story point of breaking them up.

No, she's still Ms. Marvel right now. She'll be Captain Marvel (temporarily) when the atrocious new comic comes out. It'll be shortly canceled, Carol will go back to being Ms. Marvel, and everyone can pretend this bad idea never happened.

As for Spidey and Mary Jane getting back together - that's pretty much a given. The whole story of them breaking up was a pretty bad idea too (Marvel seems full of bad ideas lately), and with the whole Marvel "reboot" coming soon, I wouldn't be suprised if Spidey ended up with a normal (non superpowered) girl again.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Strider1992

@daedalus25 said:

As for Spidey and Mary Jane getting back together - that's pretty much a given. The whole story of them breaking up was a pretty bad idea too (Marvel seems full of bad ideas lately), and with the whole Marvel "reboot" coming soon, I wouldn't be suprised if Spidey ended up with a normal (non superpowered) girl again.

I could get on board with this as well. As long as its not MJ or someone completely random then i'm fine with it. Just don't make a awful pointless story-line worse by throwing them back together!

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darthfury78

Why is everyone so bent on seeing Peter with MJ again? It was said that Spider-Man will not be in a romantic relationship with a female superhero. So why does it bother so many people that he has a close friendship with Carol Danvers and immediately assume that they are an item. For everyone's information, they are not!!! No one is going to replace MJ as Peter's love interest. But it doesn't mean that he can't go on a date with a female superhero like Ms. Marvel or Spider-Woman. Let's not make any assumptions about Ms. Marvel x Spider-Man until we have read Avenging Spider-Man #9 and #10.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.