Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4389 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Captain Marvel recommended reading

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WhineHaus

I'm rather new to comics, but it seems like a good time to hop onboard. Having a love for strong women, Carol Danvers has always been an interest to me. I don't know much about her aside from limited knowledge of her powers, but I'd love to read about her.

I was wondering what everyone thought of the Marvel NOW Captain Marvel, and if it's a good spot to start off with? Or if there's any other recommended stories to check out?

I don't really need her origin, and don't mind filling things in about her backstory, I just want to read a good story arc where she's involved. And suggestions?

Soupnazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Soupnazi

The first Captain Marvel arc begins by taking a look at Carol's past and establishing how she will be moving forward, so it's a great jumping on point. Issue 9 is also an acceptable start, as it begins a new arc with a new artist and isn't as defined by time travel and backstory as the first arc. In many ways, the first arc feels like an extended origin story for Carol as Captain Marvel, and issues 7-8 tell a one-off, largely irrelevant story, making the arc starting in #9 come off more as the "true" beginning to the series. Also, note that Carol's first appearance as Captain Marvel was in Avenging Spider-Man issues 9 and 10.

As for pre-Captain Marvel stuff, somebody else will be more help there. Checking out some of the 2006 Ms. Marvel volume (volume two) would be a good idea, though the series went in and out of crossovers a lot, and with 50 issues it's no small task to go through it. Essential Ms. Marvel Volume One compiles Carol's first solo run as Ms. Marvel, and it's pretty cheap if you want to check out her past (though it doesn't include her origin, which was in the original Captain Marvel series). After her solo got cancelled, she hopped around Avengers titles some, with mixed results.

This reading list has a comprehensive list of her appearances, though without information on the content therein--you'd have to do the research there yourself. Fortunately, you've got ComicVine's resources at your disposal. In general, her solo series are the best places to look for good Carol Danvers content, though her Binary arc wasn't in them. (I also don't know how good the Binary stuff was, either.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.