Follow

Carol Danvers

Character » Carol Danvers appears in 4390 issues.

After encountering the Kree hero Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers was accidentally subjected to otherworldly radiation that transformed her into a superhuman warrior. Calling herself Ms. Marvel, she established herself as one of the most powerful and prominent heroes and respected member of the Avengers. She has now adopted the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself.

Awesome Toy Picks: Captain Marvel--Marvel Legends Infinite Series

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week, after much complaining, I managed to get a hold of the Captain Marvel figure from the Marvel Legends Infinite Series.

No Caption Provided

In this series, the figures are separated into different sub-sets. Carol is part of the "Maidens of Might." I always think it's weird how they do this. Looking at the front of the package, you don't even see Carol Danvers or Captain Marvel written. There is a tiny mention of her name on the back where you can see the other figures in the line, also not really named.

No Caption Provided

This is part of the All-Father Build-a-Figure set. Having an Odin figure would be pretty cool but you have to buy most of the figures. Because Captain Marvel, and Scarlet Witch, are female characters, they tend to sell quicker. It's unfortunate for those trying to complete the Odin figure. There are two different All-Father heads, but of course, they each come with one of the Maidens of Might.

It is a little disturbing seeing the All-Father's head without his body.

No Caption Provided

I had mentioned a couple times on the podcast having a hard time finding this figure. Some stores appear not to even have received the figures yet. I was able to find it on Amazon at the regular price of about twenty bucks. The price does tend to fluctuate there. Even though I paid $20, as I write this, it's currently selling for $34.95. When I first looked, I think it was forty-something.

How is the figure?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There might be some that don't like Carol new costume but I really dig it. The colors and design are fantastic. Her Ms. Marvel look might have been classic but this is more practical. You can compare this figure with the Ms. Marvel figure we looked at a few weeks ago HERE.

With the costume design on the figure, you'll have to thing about how you position her arms when putting her on display. You'll likely want the stripes to line up if you're that meticulous in how they look. There are a couple different joints in the upper arms to give more options. The Marvel Legends figures don't skimp on the articulation.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I sometimes complain about there being too much articulation. With this figure, it's not a problem. Most of the joints and seams blend into the figure's design nicely. The ankle articulation is great for positioning on unbalanced surfaces. I had no problem getting her to stand on top of a rock.

You'll also see the little touches in the costume like the dots on the boots. Again, it's a good looking costume.

No Caption Provided

Carol also has her famous sash around her waist. It's a separate piece of plastic that can move a little to add to the separate look.

Looking at the back of the figure, once again, you can see the beauty of the design but also the fact that you have to position the arms in a certain way if you want the stripes to line up.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There is a second head that comes with the figure. The head easily pops off. You have the option of having Carol wear her mask or let her hair flow freely. The masked version does have that weird design that makes her look like she has a mohawk, but it's still really cool looking.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Another thing the figure comes with is an energy blast that slides onto her fist. It's a little rubbery so it fits nicely.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

One of the biggest problems I have with the Marvel Legends figures is the stomach articulation. It leaves a really big seam in the figure. But with the female figures, they're able to hide it more under her breasts. It does give a slightly different pose for the figure.

No Caption Provided

Overall it's a really good looking figure. There's plenty of articulation so you can put it in plenty of different poses. She stands at just over 6" the different heads add to the options. I have heard complaints recently, with other Marvel Legends figures, about the paint job. It does seem there are some minor problems. Because I had to order online, I didn't have a choice in what I got. You can see there was already some chips in the paint and the yellow on the chest logo went a little out of the lines.

No Caption Provided

These are minor problems. It just depends on how picky you are with your figures. At $20 (or more) for a single figure, you do expect certain things. Fans of Carol's new look and the Carol Corps will definitely love this one.

Let us know what you think of this figure. Were you able to track one down at a reasonable price? Do you like the current costume design? We'll have another item featured in the next installment.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

That isn't Odin's head, that's King Thor's. You have a choice depending on what figures you buy to built either Odin or King Thor.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@leokearon: Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been wondering for a while while Captain Marvel had a severed old man head as an accessory, but now it all makes sense... kind of.

Also, does anyone else think Carol's hair looks too Super Saiyan? She still has the same flowing hairstyle she always had, but tucks it through the back of the helmet/mask. It's not supposed to be an actual mullet or...whatever that Goku-esque 'do is called (Golden Fauxhawk?).

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where I live, they haven't gotten any of these in- except one- & one only, literally- the Hawkeye figure & I bought that sucker right then & there, I know I probably won't get another chance, distribution sucks where l live & the guy working the register actually mentioned people were calling about this series & he keeps telling them they don't have 'em, & that me getting him was a fluke.(I had the same luck with the Wal Mart exclusive Avengers Hawkeye, saw that sucker once & once only!) We probably won't get any more in my area. The Captain Marvel figure looks great; from what I've seen they all do actually, I'm really happy with the Hawkeye, but I really wanted the T:GOT style Thor, I had the spare cash on demand & ordered him & I expect him sometime next week. I'd love to be able to build King Thor, but I don't think I'll have the dough for that! But, I consider myself lucky to have Hawkguy & I really like him(the McCann-era design was cool, I don't care what anybody says), & I have a good feeling about the Thor, too. I also think X-51 looks awesome, but I'll probably have to order him too. If you acquire the X-51 fig, please review it

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By GalacticFork

Hmm The 2 heads are really cool, I like the mask one better, though (Mohawk and all). All the fine details on it are so much nicer than the spiky Super Saiyan hair. I do wonder why it always seems that masks, even the ones with eyeholes (instead of eye coverings like Spider-Man's), get rid of the irises and pupils. Thus making the eyes scary blank whiteness (neat effect though).

Bad aligning stripes aside, all those articulation points are really nice. It helps most of the suit is a solid blue. But the chest overlap articulation point (not sure if it has a name) always makes me think of the Sailor Moon costume..

Does the King Thor head fit on the Captain Marvel body? Because that would be all kinds of hilarious.

I am a little bothered by the wedgie though. Or is her uniform made form-fitted to her butt-cheeks (which would be a little disturbing)?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked this one up out of fear it might be the rarer one of the series, right along with Iron Fist. I saw that Hawkeye was the peg warmer, much like Superior Spider-Man and Starlord, so I'm avoiding it till I pick up Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

The thigh and torso articulation points are really weird. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Shes been working out too, check out those glutes!

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw all of these at a local store. I'm The worst impulse buyer in history and thought about grabbing them all (I know, ridiculous) but at $20 a pop I just couldn't live with myself if I did. So I passed on all but Thor, Iron Fist and Hawkeye. Thinking about returning Hawkeye though. Just not real impressed. Was thinking about doing a whole Avengers thing so I decided to grab him but now I'm reconsidering, lol. Thor looks excellent, already opened him and put him on my desk at work. Iron Fist looks great, might be the best looking in this set imo.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I think this is the first figure I've seen that instantly looked awesome. The color pops and everything else screams buy me or lose me.

skaldadottir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this figure, and was super excited to be able to find her and Wanda both (I find it's a lot harder to find the females in the Marvel Legends series; it took me a while to manage to get Black Cat and Black Widow I had to buy at SDCC because I never saw her in store even after months). I didn't think I'd like the masked head, but I ended up liking it a lot more than the open head. It's a really cool figure.

My one complaint is that her energy ball thing looks nothing like her comic book power. It's not even the right color!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'll definitely need to grab this one.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

A marvelous @$$.

wumpnutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has horrible figures. I'm a marvel guy but DC's figures are much better thought out and made. I don't like this figure and would not buy it for my daughter because it fits the common comic book troupe that female super heroes need to be naked/ oddly, or embarrassingly clothed. I don't argue that this follows the costume that is in Kelly Sue's book, and I love the costume in her current run, but this figure is so oddly proportioned that it just looks weird. For starters I don't need her to appear naked with her suit painted on, as evidenced by her chest and butt, but could this be anymore like the problem everyone has had with Barbie's proportions in the past??? For a company and that is trying desperately to draw in more female interest this is the wrong way to do it. You can make a kick ass female characters figure without going this direction in my opinion. Less sexuality, more kick ass...it is possible. I expect more from you Marvel....

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
    gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care too much about the Build A Figure so I try to find the figure without the BAF parts,which I have found on Ebay and they are a bit cheaper that way if you want just the figure and her accessories.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Energy blast looks more like she's stuck her hand in to some sort of alien goop or maybe a wad of grape jello rather than something she's about to launch against her enemies.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cave_Duck

@g_man:

Can the Allfather head fit on Captain Marvel's body?

Just for curiosities sake...

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it that hard to sculpt an appealing woman's face on a limited budget?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i thought odin's/thor's head was a piece for carol, way too creepy . would like to nab this love captain marvel

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By rick

I can comment?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By rick

I can still comment?

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol looks as if she has reached her mid-life crisis or something, I can already imagine her looking back in 10years saying stuff like "Do you remember that time I was wearing this ridiculous 80s hairstyle"...

metroplex02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By metroplex02

Why buy Marvel Legends if your main complaint is about the articulation? It's the foundation of the success with their line. Stick with Marvel Select! I feel like Diamond has overall better sculpts but less articulation. I mainly buy Legends so I can pose them in contorted, sexual family friendly positions.

Avatar image for deactivated-61386a4d71dfc
    deactivated-61386a4d71dfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its outstanding. since the current captain marvel book started i have been waiting for this. LITERALLY trolling every new marvel legends announcement for almost 3 years waiting to see this happen. I just picked it up 2 weeks ago at walmart of all places and its a fantastic addition to my avengers lineup

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Throwing money at the monitor does nothing. Someone help!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Captain Marvel!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.