Follow

Captain Rex

Character » Captain Rex appears in 32 issues.

A Clone Commander during the Clone Wars. Dyed his hair blonde to separate himself from the other clones. He is the leader of the 501st Legion. And the Strongest Storm Trooper of his Class

Can A Clone Turn Evil?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    All of these clones are trained since they're made.  Is it possible for one to turn to evil?  Their whole programming is to serve the Republic.  On Friday, February 6, Captain Rex and Commander Cody have to find a clone traitor that is leaking information to the enemy.  Shouldn't be too hard for these two awesome clones, right?  Oh yeah, the traitor is hidden in their ranks. 

"Hidden Enemy" premieres Friday at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Cartoon Network.  Director Steward Lee and writer Drew Greenberg talk about what could be the beginning of the end.
    “I thought it was interesting because the clone’s logic is understandable,” Lee says. “He no longer wants to be just a slave to the Jedi, and wants to try and break that infrastructure. He thinks he’s doing the right thing for all the clones and that the sacrifice is worth it.”

“It’s all about the brotherhood, and how far those boundaries stretch,” Greenberg adds. “Even the guy who turns out to be the bad guy makes the case that he was doing it for his brothers. This is about what it means to be a clone and what it means to be part of that brotherhood.”

“If one Clone can break from his brothers, and what he is bred for as a soldier of the Republic, and act on his own," Lee says, " how many more would do the same? This creates an interesting beginning of something to come.”

Here's a clip from Lucasfilm:

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Slinger

The clones in this show are so freakin' cool.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

Anyone can turn evil!  Bwaa Haa Haaa!!!

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#3  Edited By EganTheVile1

I really feel a need to comment on this after the events of some recent CW episodes where Rex and Waxer's (did I spell that right?) squadrons were pitted against one another by a dark jedi, the clones upon realizing they were shooting upon one another behaved very human, they banded together and apprehended the traitor jedi who was decided so dangerous he needed to be executed, Rex himself could not do it, but another clone who had been loyal to the aspiring sith to that point killed him. That story really brought forth a sense of humanity to the clones none had done before.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @EganTheVile1 said:

I really feel a need to comment on this after the events of some recent CW episodes where Rex and Waxer's (did I spell that right?) squadrons were pitted against one another by a dark jedi, the clones upon realizing they were shooting upon one another behaved very human, they banded together and apprehended the traitor jedi who was decided so dangerous he needed to be executed, Rex himself could not do it, but another clone who had been loyal to the aspiring sith to that point killed him. That story really brought forth a sense of humanity to the clones none had done before.

I really enjoyed that episode, seeing how Rex and the other troopers handled the dark Jedi was great to see unfold and honestly, after that, even if the Jedi had turned to the Dark Side at that point, it makes you better understand what might have been going through the clones minds when Order 66 came around in Episode III.
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EganTheVile1

@War Killer: I also think it may help paint a picture of morality of retired clones, a guy like Abel joins the Rebels, while a guy like Alpha-17 stays with the Empire, I think the Clone Army are the fictional embodiment of the nurture vs nature argument. Guys like Rex and Abel developed a genuine attitude and understanding of right and wrong, and the fact the dark jedi called clones like that, like the first 501st, defective, may speak highly of the events that made them men, While a guy like Alpha-17, just likes to kill.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @EganTheVile1 said:

@War Killer: I also think it may help paint a picture of morality of retired clones, a guy like Abel joins the Rebels, while a guy like Alpha-17 stays with the Empire, I think the Clone Army are the fictional embodiment of the nurture vs nature argument. Guys like Rex and Abel developed a genuine attitude and understanding of right and wrong, and the fact the dark jedi called clones like that, like the first 501st, defective, may speak highly of the events that made them men, While a guy like Alpha-17, just likes to kill.

Yeah, honestly I'd love to see stories after the Clone Wars that focus on characters like Rex and what they did after Oder 66, did they stay with the Empire, did they retire, or did they decide to join the Rebels. This is one of things that I like about the Clone Wars that makes it hard for me to understand why people hate the series so much, seeing new guys like Captain Rex (who has become one of my favorite Star Wars characters) and seeing whole episodes dedicated to them instead of only focuses on the characters from the movies is, in my opinion, make the show different and more exciting! ^_^
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Here's the problems with Clone Wars, the writers have gone out of their way to show the Jedi as being so noble that they protect the lives of these expendable clones. We are also supposed to grow with and care for these clones.  

Then they shoot the Jedi who protected them in the back because the creepy guy in the cloak told them to.  

Conclusion; Clones are a**holes. 

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EganTheVile1

@War Killer: I certainly agree, not just the clones, though I am eagerly awaiting a Republic Commandos episode, but all the secondary characters, what happens to Wookie general Tarrful? What is Asajj Ventress' fate now that she is a rogue? Will the story of Han Solo as a prison guard who frees Chewbacca ever be told? I see no reason for this series to end after the order 66 event takes place, hell, I'd love to see some Starkiller episodes

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By KingofMadCows

KotoR 2 explored this idea with droids in Goto:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.