No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The Good

The momentum and pacing of this issue from the beginning is solid: you get the sense that there is a lot going on and the energy is pretty high. The issue opens with Carol in a firefight with Deathbird (who mind you, can fly). If you have been keeping up with the series (the last two issues or so) you might recall the fact that Carol can't fly. Not that she can't, but that if she wants to stay alive and safe, she shouldn't fly. The series writer Kelly Sue DeConnick does a solid job catching readers up on what Carol has been up to lately in her serious (perfect if this is your first issue of CAPTAIN MARVEL). The writer also does a solid job presenting these fun action scenes and fluidly moving between them and moments where Carol's condition is the focus of the conversation. This results in some really good pacing in this issue which is evident very early on.

If you were reading this series from the start then you will recognize a name that comes up very early on in this issue. It seems that Carol and a certain other character have a lot more in common than even she may have initially realized; so much so that it seems the two characters are living parallel lives.

One of the things that most impressed me about this issue was its fluidity. DeConnick does an incredible job switching the story from the scene with Carol and Deathbird to the two Doctors. The way she does it, however, is what was really impressive. The dialogue seems to pick up between scenes and it is really well done making this issue incredibly easy to follow and probably one of my favorite issues in this series so far.

Fans of Mar-Vell and Ms. Marvel will also appreciate an old foe that makes an appearance towards the end of this issue.

I have been a big fan of the art of the last few issues. I think that artist Filipe Andrade's style is really interesting: it is abstract and really very pretty. Andrade's pencils are complimented by Jordie Bellaire's lovely colors which are more on the subtle side. The result is an art style that is very unique and complimentary to the story being told.

The Bad

The story's momentum and pacing is fantastic throughout until we get to the very end. The ending feels, in fact, a bit cliche. Although the addition of this character to Captain Marvel's story is interesting, the connection between this character and Helen Cobb is still unclear. The issue sort of takes a turn, diverting from the story that was being told. In a way it feels a bit too formulaic the way the adversary is introduced into the story.

The Verdict

Overall this is another solid issue of CAPTAIN MARVEL. In fact, this may be one of my favorite issues of this series to date. The pacing of the story is solid and the layout and the way the story fluidly moves from one area of the plot to the next is perfect and really well done. My only complaint is the way the the issue feels too formulaic towards the end. There is very little mystery left by the time we reach the final page of the issue: the villain in the story feels cliche the way he is introduced. The art is great, I personally really like the abstractness of it and thoroughly enjoyed the breakdown of each of the scenes in this issue. Overall, a solid comic that I am still very much enjoying. This is not a bad jumping-on point and I am definitely looking forward to the next issue.

Avatar image for cyclopes_with_an_e
    cyclopes_with_an_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I personally like, Dexter Soy's art better. :)

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
    Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, I really need to start picking the trades of this book up.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

Man, I really need to start picking the trades of this book up.

yes you do :P it's awesome

I personally like, Dexter Soy's art better. :)

and I couldn't agree with you more!

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LordRequiem

The story is crap and the artwork is diabolical. What happened to Dexter Soy and team ups with Monica Rambeau?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I no like.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

The excellent story is the only thing keeping me going. The art sucks half the enjoyment out of me.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sparty-dbq

I really liked when that doctor said "Lord have mercy" and it shifts to Deathbird saying "...because I won't." It's kinda like how they transition between scenes on Archer.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I dropped this book because of the art. I considered it so horrible the people were almost unrecognizable. Their mouths are sometimes so big they take up half the face, just,. not really good, but that's me. The stories, well, okay to be honest the stories are not anything new. And, I still can't get past the fact this hero took her best friend's baby from her because she didn't register. Yeah I know, people say it was a long time ago, get over it. Well, no, see actions should have consequences and I've never really seen any of the heroes suffer much for any of the actions they've performed.

t3hLomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By t3hLomb

Filipe Andrade, pay the haters no mind. Your art is awesome and is a pleasure to take in.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

@t3hlomb said:

Filipe Andrade, pay the haters no mind. Your art is awesome and is a pleasure to take in.

I really like it too, then again I also really liked Dexter Soy's pencils. The art has to be really diabolical for it to put me off a title.

Rolls7royce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Captain Marvel as a character but they really need to change some things on this title. Marvel should have had her go into space rather than Stark.

Parsifal24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Parsifal24

This was one of the series that got me to read Marvel Comics when I was getting into American Comics and it's continuelly a great series although the cover makes me think of The Power Pack and Julie specficly for some odd reason.

CBninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying the story but I'm so close to dropping this book because of the art it's not funny. To me art like this takes no talent. I have a hard time keeping people straight because everything just looks like crap.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@cbninja said:

I'm really enjoying the story but I'm so close to dropping this book because of the art it's not funny. To me art like this takes no talent. I have a hard time keeping people straight because everything just looks like crap.

Yep. I think I'm done. Sadly I really like the character, but the style of this book is not for me.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I dropped this book because of the art. I considered it so horrible the people were almost unrecognizable. Their mouths are sometimes so big they take up half the face, just,. not really good, but that's me. The stories, well, okay to be honest the stories are not anything new. And, I still can't get past the fact this hero took her best friend's baby from her because she didn't register. Yeah I know, people say it was a long time ago, get over it. Well, no, see actions should have consequences and I've never really seen any of the heroes suffer much for any of the actions they've performed.

I think you're mixing up Spider-Women. Jessica Drew is her best friend, not Julia Carpenter. And wasn't it because Julia beat up a load of SHEILD agents?

@lordrequiem: @the_mast: @cbninja: @knighthood: No need to drop it, new artist next issue. :)

In case anyone hasn't heard, there isn't a Captain Marvel issue in May, as the Enemy Within #1 is there in its place, with art by Scott Hepburn who's drawing at least the next two Captain Marvel issues.

CBninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CBninja

@V_Scarlotte_Rose

Well that's good to hear. Il stick with it to see the new artist.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By knighthood

@blackkitty said:

I think you're mixing up Spider-Women. Jessica Drew is her best friend, not Julia Carpenter. And wasn't it because Julia beat up a load of SHEILD agents?

@lordrequiem:

@the_mast:

@cbninja:

@knighthood:

No need to drop it, new artist next issue. :)

In case anyone hasn't heard, there isn't a Captain Marvel issue in May, as the Enemy Within #1 is there in its place, with art by Scott Hepburn who's drawing at least the next two Captain Marvel issues.

Sounds promising. Too bad about the crossover. I need to cut a few books anyway. I dunno?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@knighthood: Too bad about the crossover? Are you not looking forward to it?

Edited: Or do you just mean you don't like having to buy a couple of issues of another series when you're trying to drop titles?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I have way too many books on my pull list already. In fact, I've technically dropped CM a few months ago, I've just kept picking up the title off the rack. Actually I might stick around if the series just picked up a new artist. The thought of picking up more comics for a crossover is a no go at the moment. I'll probably just wait and look for some previews then make a decision.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@knighthood: Fair enough. Hopefully it'll be easy enough to follow the story without those issues.

havokx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liking it, but I really hope that cm gets a better artist. She deserves better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.