Follow

Captain Marvel

Character » Captain Marvel appears in 929 issues.

A captain in the Kree militia, Mar-Vell rebelled against a racist tyrannical empire to defend Earth and in so doing became the "Protector of the Universe" known as Captain Marvel. Since his tragic death to cancer, Captain Marvel has inspired many superheroes and heroines and his legacy is still felt throughout the Marvel universe.

Underestimated?

Nitric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nitric

I'm really confuzzled. I got my hands on Mar-Vell's latest mini-series after I read the one shot about him in Mighty Avengers. And after I read those, I've been ordering his original series, and am quite impressed.

But, I've read alot on here about how not-special he is. And I'm not saying he's all powerful by any means, I just want to understand just how good he is. Because I've seen things that would make me think he's very underestimated.

In the story about him in Mighty Avengers, he takes on two Super-Skrulls with complete ease, then destroys an entire armada of Skrull ships. That's pretty goo hey?

And back in the day, he's held his own, if not won against: Namor, the Thing, Thanos, Annihilus, Ronan, Drax, Super-Adaptoid, Nitro, Iron Man, Quicksilver, the Vision, Scarlet Witch, and arguably even did great against the Hulk.

I know his strength level isn't that high, but his smarts, cosmic awareness, energy absorption, and blast skills should put him up in the big leagues... shouldn't they?

I'll be fine with hearing that I'm wrong. I just wanna know what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the creator

His Marvel quoted stats do not do him justice.
    Ranking his strength at 15 tonnes does seem significantly lower than many of his feats.
    However some of these recent high end feats that he has been shown to perform are simply beyond what he was capable of performing.
    This might simply be Marvel 'upgrading' his power level to keep pace with all the other characters who have continued to develop (and some grow in power) as he had been absent for 20+ years.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By King_Saturn
    Mar-Vell has great feats back in the day... but his physical stats are not really that great...
    Marvel Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marvel Knight

Mar-Vell is an amazing character, he is. In fact before I became aware of his replacement, he was my second favorite comic character, but he is still probably in my top 5.

As for feats, he does have some amazing feats, but when you look at it physically, they are not anything Spider-Man can't/hasn't done.

As for current appearance

SPOILERS!!!!!

That wasn't really him, it was revealed he was actually a skrull. And if you read Cobalt Man's statement, he was more powerful than he was supposed to be.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the creator
    Marvel Knight said:
    And if you read Cobalt Man's statement, he was more powerful than he was supposed to be."
    Well that clears that one up then.
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hawk
    Question: if Captian Marvel gets his powers from absorbing solar energy..(kinda superman esc.) could he sit in the sun like Superman i million and become crazy powerful?
    Marvel Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marvel Knight
    Hawk said:
    "Question: if Captian Marvel gets his powers from absorbing solar energy..(kinda superman esc.) could he sit in the sun like Superman i million and become crazy powerful?
    "
    I don't think so.
    kys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kys

How did he beat Thanos?

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Matezoide2
    kys said:
    "How did he beat Thanos?"

he never did,Cap attacked Thanos from behind and started to beat him down....until his hands broken after 5 punchs and Thanos (unharmed) owned him right after
    Avatar image for mar_vell_liberation_front
    Mar-Vell Liberation Front

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Actually, not true...although Thanos outpowered him, Mar-Vell just outsmarted him. Thanos's ego was his weakness, and like Captain Mar-Vell (The Real Captain Marvel of the MU) always does, he found a way. He shattered the cosmic cube with his bare hands.

As far as the highly reccommened recent mini goes by Reed & Weeks goes, it's fairly obvious to safe to assume that for whatever political reasons on their house rule of not bringing him back, despite great sales after not even being published since the late 1970's, there was a story bailout between isuue 4 and 5, they almost even leave a loophole in the plot suggesting that there were two, one the Skrull/Kree (hybrid, it's important to note that this Captain Marvel was unique to the other Skrulls in that it was his actual DNA applied and there was some inference that it was his spirit an a new body), Marvel has acknowledged in very recent hanfdbooks that his stats were exactly the same. They are, however underrated, most likely due to the fact that they weren't really doing those kinds of things when he was around and have not been properly updated.

There is a mailing campaign going on to bring him back.

The character, although I am a fan, does have a legitimiate argument for being the most underrated and underrutilized superhero across the board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could probably change if fans would actually grab a pen and paper and write to Marvel Entertainment.

Not internet petitions or any of that because according to Marvel they can be fabricated.

I know, I spoke with them about it.

GothikKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GothikKnight

Mar-Vell has always been underestimated, even by Marvel Comics themselves.
    Never was a fan of the rick jones bonding era however. (same for his son/jones bond).
    When Marvel allows Mar-Vell to be himself and not bonded to jones, the character really shined in greatness.
    Also, the costume after all these years is just great and cool.

Marvel does need to bring back Mar-Vell for good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, man, I appreciate your intelligence...there's this fan mailing campaign that according to Marvel Entertainment, if we write hand written letters, and the comic sells, they would consider it. Which it did. They are tentative about challenging a great graphic novel.

I know because I spoke with the editor of the Reed/Weeks miniseries...

Are you in?

*Kindest Regards

CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CharlieJade

So is he back in Imperative?

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By daak1212

Captain Mar-vell is comin g back in Dead Avengers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.