Follow

Captain Marvel

Character » Captain Marvel appears in 929 issues.

A captain in the Kree militia, Mar-Vell rebelled against a racist tyrannical empire to defend Earth and in so doing became the "Protector of the Universe" known as Captain Marvel. Since his tragic death to cancer, Captain Marvel has inspired many superheroes and heroines and his legacy is still felt throughout the Marvel universe.

Captain Marvel art for hypothetical film (first part)

Avatar image for mar_vell_liberation_front
    Mar-Vell Liberation Front

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

There are three different "looks", the soldier uniform to start the story until he decides to rebel, (black/blue and red), post bodily death (black with mar-Vell symbol and cosmic energy is the suit all black, with the mask and longer hair, almost energy like form)
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Satansunday

Here is the concept of MaR-vELL IN HIS KREE UNIFORN, iT IS BASED OFF THE OLD PULP COSMIC STUFF FROM THE BUCK ROGERSW ERA AS WELL AS THE STORMTROOPERS SUIT FROM STAR WARS-I AM YHE GUY THAT ALSO DID THE RED AND BLUE SUIT FOR THIS PARTICULAR FANATIC A FEW MONTHS AGO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cool...and the rebellion one?
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Satansunday
    @Satansunday:

THIS ONE
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Satansunday
    @Satansunday:
    NEVR DOIN THAT BLACK EGO RUN AMUK THIRD SUIT -SORRY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okay, well leave it to your imagination...
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Satansunday

OK HERE IS SOME PHOTO MANIPS OF SAM (FLASH GORDON) JONES AS MAR-VELL I KNOW THE SUIT ISN'T CANNON BUT I HAD LIMITED SOURCE MATERIAL AND BECAUSE OF THE SIZE IT IS ABIT GRAINY BUT I THINK IT IS AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO SEEING WHAT HE MAY HAVE LOOKED LIKE A FEW DECADES AGO:

AND ANOTHER 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AWESOME! 

Dude, that's awsome...why aren't they doing this? If not with Jones than somebody? Why do we have to deal Noh-Vell, Noh-Varr, whomever, as Captain Mar-Vell? I mean, the same thing can be said about The Flash, I mean you can make a good story bringing back these characters...I mean just sign

Gerard Butler

or Zach Efron or whoever, it's the character that matters, but why let the death story be such a stone wall because writers are too afraid to challenge it, it's a perfect 3 part paradigm story: 

1.warrior 2. rebel hero death 3. return 

Why is Marvel so stubborn with this character? Are they afraid they might not be able to write it? Are they afraid to scour the internet for talent that is capable? Because I see a class A superhero in terms of nobility if not marketing (not that it couldn't be, remember they're stubborn and want to keep giving replacements), that has been so unaffected by the times that if his surroundings were darker, which take a look at real life, they are....could be a huge hit for Marvel Entertainment. I mean this could be done, now...it's a perfect hero to use.

The great thing is that during these times creatively, you can't find a better character for that role, a new actor perhpas, but the idea....it's money in the bank, not that I would see any of that or even care, the idea though, it works. 

The forgotten icon exiled.  

I see  him showing up different because of their innate stupidity on this character's worth (think spectre meets crow) , but I'd be happy as long as it got done. When I said "stars" before I meant stars and in that cosmic kind of shading on a dark figure....

Like you, I'd rather he just show up and that's it, deal with it...it's more about what you do with the uncompromising hero, rather than "how" he got there.  

Perhaps if we do it their way, they'll see it. I dunno, though, I think Bendis has different plans for whats-his-name, what a waste.

Awesome artwork, thank you for sharing it with us. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope someone sees and appreciates your work, bro! 

Any other contributions, everybody else? 

Don't worry, it's the idea that counts. 

That guy's pro that needs to be signed.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Caligula

dude you are awfully infatuated with Captain Marvel, while I like the guy. you have to be honest with yourself, do you really think anyone would make a full length movie about him? I don't. 

DC's Marvel will get a movie before Mar-Vell. and like I said don't get me wrong I like the guy, but I'm also a realist.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By iLLituracy
    @Satansunday said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    Here is the concept of MaR-vELL IN HIS KREE UNIFORN, iT IS BASED OFF THE OLD PULP COSMIC STUFF FROM THE BUCK ROGERSW ERA AS WELL AS THE STORMTROOPERS SUIT FROM STAR WARS-I AM YHE GUY THAT ALSO DID THE RED AND BLUE SUIT FOR THIS PARTICULAR FANATIC A FEW MONTHS AGO. "
    @Satansunday said:
    " @Satansunday:
    No Caption Provided
    THIS ONE "
    These are awesome as hell. I like how you gave Mar-Vell the Buck Rogers-like look on his original look, his first incarnation is my favorite, personally.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many names do you have? LOL...yeah, this is good work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Caligula said:

"dude you are awfully infatuated with Captain Marvel, while I like the guy. you have to be honest with yourself, do you really think anyone would make a full length movie about him? I don't.  DC's Marvel will get a movie before Mar-Vell. and like I said don't get me wrong I like the guy, but I'm also a realist. "

I'm fully aware of what we're up against...however I don't think it's a big as you may believe. How about putting your Mar-Vell pic on this thread to? That was cool! 

Is this guy good or what? You're work was to!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Caligula
    @Mar-Vell Liberation Front said:
    "@Caligula said:

"dude you are awfully infatuated with Captain Marvel, while I like the guy. you have to be honest with yourself, do you really think anyone would make a full length movie about him? I don't.  DC's Marvel will get a movie before Mar-Vell. and like I said don't get me wrong I like the guy, but I'm also a realist. "

I'm fully aware of what we're up against...however I don't think it's a big as you may believe. How about putting your Mar-Vell pic on this thread to? That was cool!  Is this guy good or what? You're work was to! "

yeah that guys work was pretty friggin' sweet, and would be cool to see. I just don't see enough Mar-Vell fans out there to get a real film made, I think we may be able to get him back into the comics one-day, but a movie is a bit of a stretch.
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Satansunday

glad you vguys like it got more from other films comin

Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Satansunday

OK first off I am NOT a MAr Vell FAn! but I am friends with the guy who wants this movie,I do these for fun and in the light of that fun I give you Jack Palance as Thanos (Figured if this was done in the 80's Hollywod would not doubt miss the mark in the villan-Like every other film of that time in a way)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great work on the Sam J. Jones as the 1980's Captain Marvel film thing, thanks for your contributions. Great stuff, not sure on the Palance as Thanos thing though, but cool idea. (Palance? Why Palance?) Explain...

Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Satansunday

In the Movie they would have probably combined Yon Rog and Thanos into one character. I know that today you can just C.G. Thanos in and it wouldn't mteer but back then he probably would look more like ming from Flash. JUst havin fun with it -you can't take any of this stuff too seriously-Dude.Plus Palance would be a good leader Generl type who could quickly be explained as his tranformation took place after he made a deal with Death or He was a Half Kree Spy or somthin like that. He has a great Voice for it and was working steadily back in the early 80's. Give me a better choice using that loose direction as the script.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeahhh..at the time I could see that, what I mean by that is...that is probably what it would have been like had Marvel the common sense to capitilize, or even promote,  their own original avatar character. (Rather than backing down and hiding it over a name since DC's renewal of a name from a character they put out of business) In other words, Captain Marvel needs the depth and insightful multi-faceted depth of the character Mar-Vell rather than the other way around as has been chronicled.  If not, then why have it in the 1st place? 

At the time, a large Thanos as portrayed in the Captain Marvel comic books, probably would have been a robotic thing, CGI could help this, however, I'd rather be dissapointed in that and have real human emotion and depth withan actor with presence than a mere animated figure....perhaps if there were a way to combine both...(?)

Especially with Jack Palance (I'm not sure Jack would have had the same 'physical' presence he brought to the Dracula role in 1972 as he would have in the 1980's in a Captain Marvel film as Thanos)  portraying a more accurate than given credit for version of Dracula in Dan Curtis' Dracula (1972)...I was thinking Drax, but who cries for Anthony Zerbe? (That should be a song title to go along with Alice Cooper's solo work "Ballad of Dwight Frye" - you'll have to excuse me, I prefer Alice as a 'them' rather than a 'him', guitar wise, Michael Bruce + etc.) 

However, what about doing this in a current setting? Is Sam J. Jones really as old as you say? Can't that be used in the script of the comeback? 

I'm tired of would've's and should've's, this is a great story they're just copying....I think it's the ideal candidate for this "return' story everyone regardless of company, DC is probably laughing at us (MARVEL) for making Barry Allen's Flash a success, but the game isn't over yet, so moving forward.... 

We know what a 1980's Captain Marvel film would have looked like, but what about one now...today? 

I'm thinking Gerard Butler (I still think lio or Brad  could do it but let's explore what could be feasibly possible given the company's assenine stance on the hero) or that guy who played Bones in Star Trek, that is SOOOOO underrated as Mar-Vell.   

If I may make a humorous suggestion....Robert DuVall as the Supreme Intelligence. LOL

Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Satansunday

Here is another ,Thinking for the first film......Out of The Holocaust a Hero...  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool...looks like a kree soldier....good work, ;) when does he get his suit to differenciate him from the rest upon his "decision".
    Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Satansunday

OK did one more of the green suit  

and thought..Gerard Butler as ...................................Yonn Rogg!!!! 

Satansunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Satansunday
    @Satansunday:
    Ok Weekend, I looked everywhere for an actor who could possibly pull off the younger -modern style Mar Vell. the best I could come up with was a young actor named Garrett Hedlund, He has been in Troy,Four Brothers and Friday Night Lights and is starring in this summer's Tron Legacy as the possible next guy to helm that franchise. I think he would work great against Butler as the older more expierienced Yonn Rogg. this is still working with the concept that somehow Hollywood would merge both Yonn Rogg and Thanos into one character. Tell me what you think: 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.