Follow

Captain Atom

Character » Captain Atom appears in 809 issues.

Nathaniel Adam was coerced into an experiment which bonded alien metal to his skin and sent him 18 years into the future, giving birth to Captain Atom, a superhero fueled by the Quantum Field.

The Science of Captain Atom #7

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

Despite being very much a science based character, Captain Atom hasn’t thus far produced a lot of real science that I can look at with a discerning eye.  Instead this series focuses more on the ethics and philosophy of certain actions and is doing so magnificently (and really anyone interested in a really smart comic book should be reading this.)  This is a shorter “Science of …” with only two points and in a rarity the two points don’t really give away the plot, so read on in spoiler free delight.  

No Caption Provided

Time

The opening sequence here ties into a somewhat philosophical approach to time, approaching almost from the Buddhist standpoint that time is a concept and not a real thing.  Of course from a hard scientific standpoint this is not true, in fact time is one of the things which science depends the most on in order to produce empirical data.  On the other hand, time is also a human construct as it pertains to ourselves.  A second is nothing more than what we meaning to as is a minute or an hour (well OK … this is not absolutely true, but close enough.)  A day is a rotation of the Earth on its axis, a year the revolution of the Earth around the sun.  Imagine though if you lived on the moon of a planet.  Then you might also create a unit for a revolution around the planet, or any other number of things.  Time as a concept is an interesting discussion, and one which cannot be easily resolved, but the treatment here was pretty well handled. 

Verdict: Good Science 

No Caption Provided

Particle Accelerators

I would like to remind everyone again that I do not study physics (as I always do) so my understanding of particle accelerators may not be to the level of some, but in reading the description here of a particle accelerator, I was impressed by the attention to detail.  Of course the description was not really right on, but close enough.  The main problem is that they describe the particle accelerator at the center of the facility, but particle accelerators are actually quite large.  This is because as the particles move along their path they are guided by large magnets, and the magnets can shift a particle only a certain distance over the length of the magnet so the loop of the particle accelerator must reflect this.  So to have something at the center of the facility sounds weird.  The CERN large hadron collider is for instance 27 km in circumference which is pretty large.  Though I guess by centerpiece they could mean that figuratively as well, like it is the highest profile thing there.  Of course Captain Atom sitting inside the particle accelerator is complete comic book science, but on the whole this is handled pretty well. 

Verdict:  Comic Science

It is interesting that compared to Mister Terrific which inundates the reader with mostly bad science, the science here is much less and of a better quality and thus contributes to the issue more strongly.  

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Static Shock

What's your major and/or profession?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Static Shock: Environmental Science, still a student (for another month)
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Static Shock

@RazzaTazz said:

@Static Shock: Environmental Science, still a student (for another month)

Heh. It's no wonder. LOL.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Static Shock: I am not sure how to take that statement, so I will go with compliment?
    Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

@RazzaTazz: May I ask Is comic science good or bad ?

or is it something that in theory could work, but Real life isn't there yet or ?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Static Shock

@RazzaTazz said:

@Static Shock: I am not sure how to take that statement, so I will go with compliment?

That's exactly what it was. :)

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Static Shock: Ah thank you :) 

@Fuchsia_Nightingale: I guess I never really explained that, comic science as I define it is science that is possible in comics because of suspension of disbelief.  I am not going to say something is scientifically impossible in this case for instance when one of the Captain's powers is control over radiation.  
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: So it's just made up, so neither bad nor good...okay ^_^

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Kallarkz

Great analysis man.

Really wish though that the sales for this title would pick up a bit more. Hard to really dive in knowing that its literally circling the drain...but nothing lasts forever anyways.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By tensor

Comic science, i like it lol.

captain atom is good so far for me love the new 52 version of him

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By jrock85

It is interesting that compared to Mister Terrific which inundates the reader with mostly bad science, the science here is much less and of a better quality and thus contributes to the issue more strongly.

I guess we can conclude that J.T. Krul is more "scientifically inclined" than Eric Walllace.

Captain Atom is one of the best books that people aren't reading.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

@RazzaTazz: So it's just made up, so neither bad nor good...okay ^_^

Well I read a book once called the Physics of Superheroes, and it basically said that in any one case that there should be one case for suspension of disbelief, like if the hero can fly then that is one but after that it is necessary to be more critical.  I guess another way to put it is that bad science is just that, science which the writers just mess up, but comic science is good science but in  comic book world.   

@Kallarkz said:

Really wish though that the sales for this title would pick up a bit more. Hard to really dive in knowing that its literally circling the drain...but nothing lasts forever anyways.

Well I tend to think any good comic is worth reading, even if it is just a one shot special. 
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: Now I get it ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.