Captain Atom's brand new look after the Reboot....

#1 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
 
   
 
 
I know a lot of people look at Captain Atom's current design, and it makes you think of the word, 'generic.' I won't lie. There isn't much to his current look (and over the years, he's had different designs which were all short lived). But, when you've seen it for so long, you become used to it. By now, you either hate it or love it (and I gotta say, his look didn't strike me as appealing when I first got into the character, but it grew on me).  
 
But, now, because of Jim Lee and Geoff John's reboot of the DC universe, he'll be sporting a brand new look. When I saw it, after hearing that he's getting a new ongoing series (which is like twenty years after his last ongoing ended, not counting his Armageddon mini-series and his Action Comics second feature), I was somewhat excited. Then, I saw his new look, which is supposed to be the cover for the first issue. I was like 'meh...' Jake Fury said that he looked more like the Silver Surfer. At first, I didn't like the look, but I didn't know why. After reading Jake's comment, I now realize why I find it less appealing than the original look. Have at it. 
 
What do you think...?
#2 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll have to see the entire look instead of just the head and a red orb to see if i really like it. But so far i don't think it's bad.

#3 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks more like Dr. Manhattan...

#4 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not into him. I don't dislike him. BUT, I'll buy the issue still. Planning on buying them all. All the 1st issues.

#5 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
He looks more like Dr. Manhattan...

I think he should be more like Dr. Manhattan. He does look like Silver Surfer though
#6 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF
I would rather have something more original. I don't want him to look like any other character.
#7 Edited by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
I liked how he looked went he went to the Wildstorm universe. He should have stayed with that look.
 
 
#8 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate it, but I liked either his previous look or his Wildstorm look better.

#9 Posted by Gremlin From Kremlin (2931 posts) - - Show Bio

What's with the silver flame on his head? He's not Firestorm, or Silverstorm for that matter.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
He looks more like Dr. Manhattan...
Well the Dr was based of him. 
 
I like it, he doesnt look that much difernet than he did in JL:GL 
#11 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: He looks drastically different from his appearances in Generation Lost. He doesn't even appeared to be covered in metal in his rebooted look. Besides, Dr. Manhattan was based off of this version of Captain Atom. 
 
 The Charlton version, who is also drastically different from the DC version and not the same character.
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87: He looks drastically different from his appearances in Generation Lost. He doesn't even appeared to be covered in metal in his rebooted look. Besides, Dr. Manhattan was based off of this version of Captain Atom. 
 
 The Charlton version, who is also drastically different from the DC version and not the same character.
Yes he does, just because the artist has not depicted him to be as shiny means nothing 
#13 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:

Yes he does, just because the artist has not depicted him to be as shiny means nothing 

No, he doesn't. He would have to be depicted as shiny to appear to be covered in metal. If not, he isn't covered in it. The scans you posted prove my point, anyway. He has a shiny, metallic hide in both of them, but in the rebooted look, the texture isn't the same. Your post doesn't make any sense, by the way. By your logic, the rebooted Captain Atom could have a rocky hide, even though he isn't drawn to have one.  
 
Texture
, in art, is everything. 
#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87 said:

Yes he does, just because the artist has not depicted him to be as shiny means nothing 

No, he doesn't. He would have to be depicted as shiny to appear to be covered in metal. If not, he isn't covered in it. Your post doesn't make sense. By your logic, the rebooted Captain Atom could have a rocky hide, even though he isn't drawn to have one. Texture, in art, is everything. 
So coz he's not shiny he's not metal?
#15 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan.

#16 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
So coz he's not shiny he's not metal?
The metallic part of Cyborg Superman's body IS shiny. It has a metallic texture. 
 
Captain Atom's rebooted look is reminiscent of this. 
 
 
Quantum Superman. His texture matches the rebooted Captain Atom look.
 
The reboot isn't covered in metal. Period.
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87 said:
So coz he's not shiny he's not metal?
The metallic part of Cyborg Superman's body IS shiny. It has a metallic texture. 
 
Captain Atom's rebooted look is reminiscent of this. 
 
 
 The reboot isn't covered in metal. Period.
And you know this for a fact do you?
#18 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Manhattan didn't have metallic skin, but I'm pretty sure Charlton's Captain Atom had a metallic suit. His second suit was made of some liquid metal that he could summon from under his skin, if that helps clear things up.

#19 Posted by tensor (4161 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the new look only problem for me is that they should have kept is eyes yellow

#20 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
And you know this for a fact do you?

You can tell by looking at the picture. I'm going to art school for a reason. 

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87 said:
And you know this for a fact do you?

You can tell by looking at the picture. I'm going to art school for a reason. 

well it looks metallic to me, it cant just be his skin he has no finger nails 
#22 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
Dr. Manhattan didn't have metallic skin, but I'm pretty sure Charlton's Captain Atom had a metallic suit. His second suit was made of some liquid metal that he could summon from under his skin, if that helps clear things up.
Not really. Dude thinks that the rebooted Captain Atom look has a metallic texture when it obviously doesn't. His texture is more akin to that of an energy being, like Manhattan or Quantum Superman. 
#23 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
well it looks metallic to me, it cant just be his skin he has no finger nails 
Then, you either have bad eyes or a bad sense or aestheticism. Not having finger nails doesn't reinforce your point.
#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87 said:
well it looks metallic to me, it cant just be his skin he has no finger nails 
Then, you either have bad eyes or a bad sense or aestheticism. Not having finger nails doesn't reinforce your point.
and not being shiny dosent reinforce your's, any way this is all pointless we will see in sep
#25 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
and not being shiny dosent reinforce your's
LMAO. 
  
"I guess the rebooted Atom is covered in glass, then. He looks transparent from over here." :D 
 
Like I said. You don't have an aesthetic eye, so I can see why you think the way you do. It's all good.
#26 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@iLLituracy said:
Dr. Manhattan didn't have metallic skin, but I'm pretty sure Charlton's Captain Atom had a metallic suit. His second suit was made of some liquid metal that he could summon from under his skin, if that helps clear things up.
Not really. Dude thinks that the rebooted Captain Atom look has a metallic texture when it obviously doesn't. His texture is more akin to that of an energy being, like Manhattan or Quantum Superman. 
Oh, I thought we were talking about Charlton's Captain Atom. In that case he doesn't look metallic.
#27 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
Oh, I thought we were talking about Charlton's Captain Atom. In that case he doesn't look metallic.
Co-signed. 
 
I brought up Charlton's Captain Atom because people seem to think that Dr. Manhattan was based on DC's version of Captain Atom, which is incorrect. Alan Moore stated in an interview that Manhattan was based on the Charlton version only, and the fact that the creation of Manhanttan predates the creation of DC's Captain Atom by a year should support that.
#28 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
He looks more like Dr. Manhattan...
sorry to reply so late, but i think that was the point. They want to make him more like the character based off him so its easier for the wider audience.  
I liked his generation lost and Wildstorm appearance the most.
#29 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@difficlus said:
sorry to reply so late, but i think that was the point. They want to make him more like the character based off him so its easier for the wider audience.  
Well, that's the problem. Manhattan isn't based off of DC's Captain Atom. He's based off of Charlton's Captain Atom.
#30 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Still think he's covered in metal? 
 
His new is basically identical to both New Son and Dr. Manhattan.  
#31 Posted by DRDOOMSDAY390 (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne

yeah  i like his wildstorm universe sult better too at least he looks different, now i don't hate the silver version but he does looks like silver surfer with hair and gloves.
#32 Posted by cbishop (7525 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gremlin From Kremlin said:
What's with the silver flame on his head? He's not Firestorm, or Silverstorm for that matter.

Actually, that's sort of ironic.  Ever since Captain Atom got his series at DC (1980's), they've been trying to use him as a replacement for Firestorm.  Even going so far as to have Plastique appear in his series (and I think Killer Frost, once).  Why they feel they can make Captain Atom work, when they can't make Firestorm work, is beyond me. 
 
I talked to Mark Waid at a store appearance once, and he said when they were doing the DC's Who's Who, back in the 80's, whenever they ran across a villain they didn't know, they joked that it must be a Firestorm villain, because all of his villains were that forgettable.
 
And if the villains are forgettable, so is the hero.  So a replacement Firestorm isn't going to be any better than the original Firestorm... which is a shame, because I always liked Firestorm. 
 
Oh!... and...uh...just to stay on topic - not a fan of the new Captain Atom look. ;}
#33 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87: Still think he's covered in metal? 
 
His new is basically identical to both New Son and Dr. Manhattan.  
mmmm i don't know but I am actually liking this look. (hated the red gloves). 
and yea no mistaking that or the previous picture with metal. 
#34 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone in DC is pretty much the same as far as costume design goes. They just have subtle changes. But, they felt the need to change Captain Atom completely... Shameful.

#35 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87: Still think he's covered in metal? 
 
His new is basically identical to both New Son and Dr. Manhattan.  
That one really does look like Dr. Manhattan
#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@spiderbat87: Still think he's covered in metal? 
 
His new is basically identical to both New Son and Dr. Manhattan.  
your right he does appear to be energy based in this pic 
 
I prefer this one:
#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said: Do you think they are trying to make Cap more like Doc? coz Dr Manhattan s whole deal was that he was losing his humanity and now that's sounds like where there taking Cap?
#38 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Static Shock said: Do you think they are trying to make Cap more like Doc? coz Dr Manhattan s whole deal was that he was losing his humanity and now that's sounds like where there taking Cap?

I don't know. But, he certainly looks the part.

#39 Edited by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Static Shock said: Do you think they are trying to make Cap more like Doc? coz Dr Manhattan s whole deal was that he was losing his humanity and now that's sounds like where there taking Cap?

I don't know. But, he certainly looks the part.

If they're keeping his continuity he might actually also act more like Manhattan. I remember that Generation Lost they touched on the fact that Captain Atom's beginning to lose his humanity kinda like Doc Manhattan.
#40 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roldan: Yeah, I remember. He was becoming more of an energy being, as well. I thought that was stupid, to be honest.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.