Captain Atom/Doctor Manhattan

#1 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that Atom is the basis for Manhattan shouldn't Atom be powerful then he is displayed (Monarch excluded)?

#2 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom wins. Why? Manhattan is energy Atom controls energy. And Manhattan only controls molecules

#3 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (882 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom would bitch slap and kick Dr. Manhattan 'in the balls' military style. He can also fight unlike Manhattan, who just talk all day.

#4 Posted by IrishX (2367 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but has Manhattan actually shown to be limited to only controlling molecules or is that an assumption? Is there anything anywhere that shows he has some kind of weakness to state that anyone would "bitch slap" him?

#5 Posted by supermandefender (2041 posts) - - Show Bio

No there is no proof of any that anybody can simply win over Manhattan. First off Manhattan is not pure enegry thats wrong. Manhattan has Nuclear and Quantum enegry within him. He is a actual being that has control over Nuclear and Quantum enegry or soo said by the comic and movie. Remember he restructed a human body for himself. The entire inside of a human body grew and was recreated. Hence his power over matter. He recontructed himself from the left over species. Like putting pieces of a puzzle together. The creator of Captain Atom said (back before improvements were made to Captain Atom) that he found he could do more with Dr.Manhattan than he could ever have with Captain Atom. The old Captain Atom Allen Adams could absorb enegry also. There is not much of a big difference between the 2 Atoms to me but Im sure id get yelled at for saying that. So I wont lol!  
Manhattan in my oppinon has the advantage here but that is also subject to oppinon. Manhattan hasnt actually shown prove of his Strength and power feats besides saying he can.....teleporting, making clones, blowing up humans, Growing in size, control over Matter, changing his color, moving objects with his mind, knowledge of past present and future events at the sametime.   
Manhattan mentioned more powers but these are the only ones he has shown oh yeah and flight, and recontructing himself from being blow up. Lots of people are having serious doubts of Manhattans power set sense he hasnt shown huge feats but if you ask me they just dont want there favorite character to be outclassed.  
 Ill be the first to admitt that my favorite character Superman would have no chance against Manhattan in my oppinon.  
But there is no proof of Manhattans power set and if he can go toe to toe with guys like Superman. My personal oppinon is he can and he outclasses characters on that level.  
My Proof read Final Crisis the Quantum Superman. He is based off the idea of Dr. Manhattan. He toys with Ultraman telling him he is beyond conflict. I believe Manhattan is the just as powerful.

#6 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@supermandefender said:
"The creator of Captain Atom said (back before improvements were made to Captain Atom) that he found he could do more with Dr.Manhattan than he could ever have with Captain Atom. 
This is wrong. Alan Moore didn't create Captain Atom. Joe Gill and Steve Ditko created the Charlton-verse Captain Atom. Cary Bate created the Dc Universe Captain Atom.
#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

To answer the original question,
@DarkKnight96000 said:

" Given that Atom is the basis for Manhattan shouldn't Atom be powerful then he is displayed (Monarch excluded)? "
Someone being a basis for someone else means nothing about their relative power levels. 
For example, some Superman clones are stronger than him (Mr. Majestic), while others are weaker (Plutonian). They're still all based on Superman.

Same thing goes for Quantum Superman referred to two posts above.
#8 Posted by Ninja Nova (121 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerd Of A Hero said:
"Captain Atom would bitch slap and kick Dr. Manhattan 'in the balls' military style. He can also fight unlike Manhattan, who just talk all day. "

LOL! Captain Atom rocks, but I'm not sure who has the greater advantage. =D
#9 Posted by supermandefender (2041 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:
Correct. However, I just stated  I believe the powerlevels are close or the same. I have no info to back up my oppinons on that matter there just oppinons. Static excuse me that is false. Allan Moore was just a writer for the character.
#10 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@supermandefender said:

" @AtPhantom: Correct. However, I just stated  I believe the powerlevels are close or the same. I have no info to back up my oppinons on that matter there just oppinons.

If all you have are your opinions, then that's fine. There's no evidence to the prove Charlton-verse Atom is roughly equal to DC Universe Atom, while there's plenty to prove that DC Universe Atom outclasses Charlton-verse Atom. 

#11 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@supermandefender said:
" Static excuse me that is false. Allan Moore was just a writer for the character. "
Actually it's not. Alan Moore created Doctor Manhattan, and also writes his character. He's never written anything for Captain Atom.
#12 Posted by supermandefender (2041 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock:
Yes he did write for the Charlton's comics Atom. Hence the comment he made that he could do more with DR. Manhattan as a kind of Quantum Superhero than he ever could with Charlton's Captain Atom.
#13 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@supermandefender said:

" @Static Shock: Yes he did write for the Charlton's comics Atom. Hence the comment he made that he could do more with DR. Manhattan as a kind of Quantum Superhero than he ever could with Charlton's Captain Atom. "

-Sigh.....-

Check your sources. Alan Moore has NEVER written a Captain Atom comic book. EVER. That little comment he made doesn't prove anything, simply because he never said he wrote a Captain Atom comic book.

Alan Moore's work history. 
Alan Moore's work history II.

Follow the links, please. You won't see any Captain Atom issues there. If you check link number two, you won't see any there either. Under his list of publishers, he's never been employed by Charlton Comics.

From Alan Moore's mouth. Read carefully. 

"So, we started to reshape the concept—using the Charlton characters as the jumping-off point, because those were the ones we submitted to Dick—and that's what the plot involved. We started to mutate the characters, and I began to realize the changes allowed me so much more freedom. The only idea of Captain Atom as a nuclear super-hero—that had the shadow of the atom bomb hung around him—had been part of the original proposal, but with Dr. Manhattan, by making him kind of a quantum super-hero, it took it into a whole new dimension, it wasn't just the shadow of the nuclear threat around him. The things that we could do with Dr. Manhattan's consciousness and the way he saw time wouldn't have been appropriate for Captain Atom. So, it was the best decision, though it just took me a while to realize that."  

Nothing there about writing Captain Atom. 

"Prior to that golden period when Dick was editor, I very much enjoyed the Steve Ditko stuff—Captain Atom and the Charlton monster books—so the main reason that I liked Charlton would've been probably Steve Ditko, originally. Not to say that there weren't other great artists and writers, but the ace of it all was, Ditko was the only one that I really noticed, until that period when Dick took over."  

The closest he got to Charlton Comics' Captain Atom is reading his comics and enjoying them, as well as other titles in Charlton Comics. Nothing about writing them. You should check your sources better. Here's a link to the interview. After this, there's shouldn't be anymore 'Moore wrote Captain Atom' discrepancies. 

Alan Moore interview.
#14 Posted by Kairan1979 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.