gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It's hard to believe this is the twenty-fifth issue of Rick Remender's run. There's no denying that Steve Rogers has been through quite a bit. There's a nice bit of closure as we see the end of the battle against Zola and see the series set the stage for the next chapter. There are some goodbyes along with moments to celebrate with a new Captain America making his debut.

There's a nice change of pace in this issue. The fight with Zola isn't the main focus. With this drawing a close to this volume, it's not a complete conclusion to the entire story. Some characters may be departing but it's definitely left so that we'll need to see some follow up in the near future.

What Remender does a little differently here is show us the lighter side of life in the Avengers. Steve has to make his announcement about stepping down as Captain America and we get to see a huge number of Avengers get together. I can't remember the last time we got to see all these characters together without there being a huge event to push the story.

Carlos Pacheco and Stuart Immonen's art is great along with the color by Dean White, Veronica Gandini and Marte Gracia. I always admire when a large number of characters are present and each retains their own feel. There are moments of mixed emotions playing across different characters faces and you can feel the outrage and happiness at different times. When the 'new' Captain America makes his on screen debut, it's pretty glorious. There's even a comment about the surprise of the revelation.

But if you think you know the whole story, there's major seeds being planted in the issue's epilogue.

The Bad

Yeah, there's the slight continuity issue with Steve Rogers and Captain America. It's not worth dwelling on. We should focus more on the story at hand rather than how this fits in with an issue of ORIGINAL SIN.

The mystery on the cover is still odd considering we've known the secret for some time. I mentioned this is addressed inside but it feels like a lot of hype was given when the trumpets for the announcement have already been blown. These sort of announcements pretty much always come out in advanced but it feels like we've known for some time. That took away some of the fun and excitement in seeing actually happen.

On a personal note, and not affecting the score, I'm not thrilled with Steve having aged and a replacement being needed. Yes, I am intrigued to see where the story of the new Cap will go but Steve keeps getting kicked out of his role so often.

The Verdict

This is a big moment in the life of Captain America. We knew it was coming. Steve Rogers makes it official that he's stepping down and a "new" Cap is announced. What's next for Steve? Of course you'll have to read to find out. As a finale to a volume, this had a nice change of pace. Steve and the others had to deal with Zola and his attack against New York but it was nice to see more of a focus on Steven and the Avengers instead of dwelling on another battle. Carlos Pacheco and Stuart Immonen do this momentous issue justice. The next phase is set up but there's still more we'll need to see with the current plot. There may be a new Cap but with the way this issue ends, it looks like he's not going to have it easy.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MasterOfEvil

I just found it hilarious that Falcon admitted that everyone knew already and there was no shock at all lolz!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really liked it, i just hated how the jet scene played out. it felt a bit unnecessary for it to play out that way.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Wasn't a big fan of the issue. The jokes fell flat, the scene with Jet wasn't the best, and I'll be real mad if he retcons Sharon to be Hydra

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#5  Edited By the_comebacks

@masterofevil said:

I just found it hilarious that Falcon admitted that everyone knew already and there was no shock at all lolz!

I agree with this^. I'm curious to see where this goes. I hadn't had much exposure to falcon until past year. I saw him in Avengers Assemble and thought he was annoying, but then saw him in Cap 2 and thought he was awesome. I like the design too.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

I have been waiting to get a full look at the suit for some time....and, there is a lot of stuff going on in that design?!

I liked the jokes in the book, but they went on for too long, and started to get boring.

So my question now is, Will Sam be The man now, taking over in status and in name like Steve?

Will he get to plan attacks, sit in the War Room with Tony and basically BE Captain America, or will he be the same guy just in a different suit?

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Normally Remender's great but this issue wasn't up to par. The excessive jokes got so overplayed it started to feel unnerrving and out of character; like there was a gas leak in the room or something.

And that whole bit with Jet was waaaaay to sudden and forced; overall such a painful cliche that I thought she was avoiding. Really bummed about that.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Emperormeister734

I truly loved this issue and again Congratulation to Falcon taking the role of Captain America, but there was an error in the issue: Thor holding hammer at the time, when everyone now knows he has now become unworthy during the Original Sin event. We all know these changes won't last and eveything will go back to the way it was but I plan enjoy it while it lasts.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil said:

I agree with this^. I'm curious to see where this goes. I hadn't had much exposure to falcon until past year. I saw him in Avengers Assemble and thought he was annoying, but then saw him in Cap 2 and thought he was awesome. I like the design too.

The problem there is that you watched him in Avengers Assemble. hah

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Thor continuity error aside, this was a great issue. I'm sad to see Jet go, but I hope she comes back eventually. Unlike the others, I feel like her departure worked. And how nice was it to see so many Avengers gathered together and just hanging out, arguing about who ate the pizza rolls? We really need more of this. Also now with Falcon as Cap, I hope we see him struggle with and train with the shield going forward. Cap's ability to throw the shield so perfectly is one of his greatest strengths, so Falcon able to do it right off the bat would feel cheap.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: I'm sure sharon has been brainwashed... Again...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

UUUUGGUUUSSjdailjdkdhdiqaudkjawdnawuyidgaybdajhbawkj

Why do you do this to my emotions Remember!? WHY?!? It made me so sad how Jet got pushed away, and it made me ever more sad when the person in the hood was CLEARLY Sharon ;_;

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@g_manI wasn't thrilled with him being kicked out of his own title so soon either, however I do like the idea that he aged and wants to sort of retire. If he was young he wouldn't, and its better than him getting killed off. Its something always hinted at in comics that the heroes retire but never shown. I like the change of pace. Like Odinson becoming unworthy and a new Thor taking his place till he returns.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

@meatwadf said:

@the_comebacks said:

@masterofevil said:

The problem there is that you watched him in Avengers Assemble. hah

^Agreed!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This issue has been the weakest compared to the last couple of ones. I really think Remender could've done a better job if he tried but he didn't.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez, no wonder people think Falcon is a pedo, Jet acted like a friggin' ten year old in this issue.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trust also Remender on this title(as much as I trust Aaron on Thor)and especially the first story arc in dimension Z is one of the best stories of cap I ever read....Get over with this Sam/Jet foolish crap...Anyway Captain America is not the uniform and the shield...Most of all is the man that represents...I like Sam and he is a good supporting character and hero all these years,but Captain America can be only Steve Rogers...Even if it's a blessing or a curse for him....I hope Steve return soon...Until then Sam will have big shoes(or boots) to wear...

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I truly loved this issue and again Congratulation to Falcon taking the role of Captain America, but there was an error in the issue: Thor holding hammer at the time, when everyone now knows he has now become unworthy during the Original Sin event. We all know these changes won't last and eveything will go back to the way it was but I plan enjoy it while it lasts.

Thats not it you know, its like an alternate dimension. (Wink wink) haha. could it be, this cap never returned to the original dimension,

It doesnt matches any of the other books.
    But, it was a good read.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@emperormeister734 said:

Thats not it you know, its like an alternate dimension. (Wink wink) haha. could it be, this cap never returned to the original dimension,It doesnt matches any of the other books.

But, it was a good read.

Right now there are a lot of community issues with Thor still being worthy, Cap still being young, and Wolverine being alive. Just gotta ignore it because it was a mistake.

Smoking_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All in all I liked the issue. I do agree with people here who felt the jokes got a bit stale; after a while it felt as though they were just trying to fill the pages. I also feel as though there was no real build up to the announcement as it was revealed months ago that The Falcon was the new Capt. America. I would have preferred a bit more surprise to the announcement. I am not so upset that Jet fled back to Zola, but I felt the scene could have been longer and more dramatic, it just felt rushed.

I did however like the epilogue and the scenario it set up for the new Capt. America series. While never a big Capt. America reader myself I will be picking up the new issues, both of Capt. America and Capt. America and his Mighty Avengers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.