Winter Soldier & Red Menace

#1 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey :) So I've never read any Captain America (or any other Marvel, though I'm getting Civil War, Thor, and Punisher: Dark Reign soon), and I'd like to know if Brubaker's Winter Soldier and Red Menace are a good place to start.

One more question: What's special about the Ultimate Collection? Does it cover more issues than the regular comic or something?

#2 Posted by jayskee (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure about red menace but Winter soldier definitely

#3 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayskee said:

I'm not sure about red menace but Winter soldier definitely

Isn't Red Menace a sequel to Winter Soldier?

#4 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

As a comic reader once told me, if you're a Cap fan you MUST buy "The Ultimates: Ultimate Collection" (or The Ultimates Vol.1 & 2) by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch

This version of Cap is all kinds of awesome!! I wish some elements of his character (especially his tactical on field skills) were part of the 616 version.

#5 Edited by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically if you really want to get into Captain America, get everything Brubaker has written including Secret Avengers #1 - 12. Though the Civil War tie-in issues were pretty weak, you won't miss much.

I also recommend Mark Waid's "Captain America: Man Out of Time"

#6 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey :) So I've never read any Captain America (or any other Marvel, though I'm getting Civil War, Thor, and Punisher: Dark Reign soon), and I'd like to know if Brubaker's Winter Soldier and Red Menace are a good place to start.

One more question: What's special about the Ultimate Collection? Does it cover more issues than the regular comic or something?

Winter Soldier and the Red Menace Ultimate Collections are both a great place to start for any new Cap fans. As long as you understand the basics of the character, you can enjoy it. There are many references to older adventures, but nothing that you can't get or that the writer doesn't explain.

The Winter Soldier story arc covers Issues 1 to 12 of the Captain America comic. These were originally collected in two books, with each collecting six issues, but the Ultimate Collection collects the entire story arc. Same principle for the Red Menace one. I definitely recommend you pick up the Ultimate Collections for both arcs.

#7 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

I also highly recommend Avenging Spider-Man #5, a great Spidey/Cap one-shot story with beautiful art.

#8 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks everyone :)

#9 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the series that made me love Captain America. So I would say yes as long as you don't know who the Winter Soldier is and if you know any of the WW2 story

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.