Winter Soldier News Thread

• 97 results
#51 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d @tg1982 And other Cap fans...

New poster of Cap in his stealth look (this is about 2 days old):

And a high-quality sneak preview of the upcoming trailer, from E!:

Full trailer will be up on iTunes at 9am PST tomorrow!

And some stills from said preview:

#52 Edited by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

I notice at the end Bucky had tears in his eyes so there is a inner conflict going on there. I hope they do the story justice.

#53 Posted by MaccyD (4504 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Who's the middle-aged guy in glasses who warns Cap he may make enemies?

#54 Posted by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@slimj87d: Who's the middle-aged guy in glasses who warns Cap he may make enemies?

He's a new character played by a well known actor. But he's a senior level SHIELD operative, probably served with or before Fury even. I think he's behind the plot, but there's probably a real person that is pulling the strings.

#55 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer was phenomenal!

#56 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:

@veshark:

I notice at the end Bucky had tears in his eyes so there is a inner conflict going on there. I hope they do the story justice.

Just caught this today morning. Ohhh mannn, I am so excited for this right now. It looks like the moodiest one of the Phase 2 movies, I'm really hoping it does the espionage theme of the original story justice, as well as mixing it in with Cap's place in the 21st century, and his adaptation to the new political world. And Bucky looks great!

I'm not sure if it was tears though - it looked more like war-paint that soldiers sometimes put on?

#57 Edited by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@slimj87d said:

@veshark:

Just caught this today morning. Ohhh mannn, I am so excited for this right now. It looks like the moodiest one of the Phase 2 movies, I'm really hoping it does the espionage theme of the original story justice, as well as mixing it in with Cap's place in the 21st century, and his adaptation to the new political world. And Bucky looks great!

I'm not sure if it was tears though - it looked more like war-paint that soldiers sometimes put on?

Well it was wet and messy and you can see on his mask (if you watch it in HD) that it is wet where tears would have fell.

Not a lot of comic book readers here know about the Russo brothers, but they started up and created a lot of good TV shows. Arrested Development, Community and I think Modern Family. They also directed all the paintball war episodes of Community. They know what they're doing, and thanks to Ed Brubaker, they have a plot that really can't fail.

Ed Brubaker was amazed by the script. Most times a lot of writers aren't happy with the way movies portray their work. So I know this movie is going to be really good. I can tell that those Nazi reviewers are going to deduct points for it having too much action though but who cares what they think, it's a comic book movie.

#58 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d

I don't know, it seems odd for him to be crying while catching the shield, no?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Community, so I'm aware of their work (those paintball eps were awesome, too). Curious to see them go from comedy sitcoms to a big action thriller piece like this though, but it looks great so far. I'm glad Brubaker likes the script, but I'm still carefully cautious, because Johns said some similar things regarding the GL script...and we all know how that turned out.

#59 Edited by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@slimj87d

I don't know, it seems odd for him to be crying while catching the shield, no?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Community, so I'm aware of their work (those paintball eps were awesome, too). Curious to see them go from comedy sitcoms to a big action thriller piece like this though, but it looks great so far. I'm glad Brubaker likes the script, but I'm still carefully cautious, because Johns said some similar things regarding the GL script...and we all know how that turned out.

Well if you and I could speculate, I believe his Bucky persona might have came back just for a split second before it is lost again. So for that split second that could be why the water streams on his mask go down from both eyes. YOu can see it on his mask, it's wet on the cheeks and it kind of forms like if tears were to roll down on cloth.

I want to watch the iTunes verson, but I don't want to download stupid quick time.

#60 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#61 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@risingbean @slimj87d

Just thought I'd share this awesome post about Brubaker's reactions to the Winter Soldier trailer. He loves it, and it looks like the Winter Soldier story arc will be released in HC again. Damn, this movie's looking awesome. I'm looking forward to a new generation of readers being introduced to Brubaker's run and Bucky Barnes.

Damn that's a great post not only showing how impressed he is with the adaptation of his run but also criticising the over exuberant flame baiters of the Big Two.

#62 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@veshark said:

@risingbean @slimj87d

Just thought I'd share this awesome post about Brubaker's reactions to the Winter Soldier trailer. He loves it, and it looks like the Winter Soldier story arc will be released in HC again. Damn, this movie's looking awesome. I'm looking forward to a new generation of readers being introduced to Brubaker's run and Bucky Barnes.

Damn that's a great post not only showing how impressed he is with the adaptation of his run but also criticising the over exuberant flame baiters of the Big Two.

Indeed. I'm glad both he and Epting are getting their due.

#64 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Posted by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

Well it looks like I know what I'll be buying come September. The DVD and Blu-Ray should be out around that time too!

They're going to reveal the Winter Soldier one soon also. I'm getting both.

@entropy_aegis, aren't you a 1/6 scale figure buyer? Do you have an opinion on Hot Toys vs Sideshow toys?

#66 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d Jeeeez....I'm always impressed by these sixth-scale figures, but I don't have the money, damnit! These are gonna set you back a pretty penny ;)

#67 Posted by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@slimj87d Jeeeez....I'm always impressed by these sixth-scale figures, but I don't have the money, damnit! These are gonna set you back a pretty penny ;)

They'll be about $200 each, it'll be my early graduate school graduation present to myself. Haha.

#68 Posted by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Here's the one you really like.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x196s63_captain-america-the-winter-soldier-web-site-music-web-site-music-background_music

Which brings me to my next discussion, the music score is awesome. It's scored by Henry Jackman, and I'm really happy with the way he's approaching the score. I love Han Zimmer, but I feel like everyone tries to copy him. Sometimes I feel like he even copies some of his old pieces. At least this song doesn't sound too much like Han's Zimmer.

#69 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d Yes, I absolutely love this snippet of the score. It evokes everything that you expect from the Winter Soldier - an espionage tale of politics and secrets, kinda James-Bond-ish almost. You're right, everyone likes the orchestral anthems from the Hans Zimmer/Alan Silvestri school of composing, but sometimes something like this just fits the material better. Henry Jackman's also the guy who scored First Class, which has easily the best music of the X-Movies.

#70 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

Decided to bump this to drop the info that Captain America: Winter Soldier is at a 93% so far on Rotten Tomatoes from 14 reviews.

#71 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Decided to bump this to drop the info that Captain America: Winter Soldier is at a 93% so far on Rotten Tomatoes from 14 reviews.

These numbers usually drop after more reviews start pouring it, but gotta say, it's looking optimistic ;)

Oh, and I saw the Assembling A Universe documentary last night. While I skipped most of the Winter Soldier parts because I didn't wanna spoil anything, I did stumble across this little factoid about Bucky in this movie.

It's not exactly a spoiler, but it kinda speaks to the portrayal of Bucky in Cap 2. Read at your own risk:

It's basically confirmed that a) Bucky was affected by the experimentation from Arnim Zola in Cap 1 and b) Bucky has received a version of the Super-Soldier Serum

@risingbean @slimj87d @tg1982

#72 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Got damn, this movie is looking awesome so far! My Cap jimmies are rustled!

#73 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Got damn, this movie is looking awesome so far! My Cap jimmies are rustled!

Indeed. I'm catching it on the 27th. God bless early Asian release dates!!

Side note: Winter Soldier's score just dropped to 89% on RT :(

#74 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

Indeed. I'm catching it on the 27th. God bless early Asian release dates!!

Side note: Winter Soldier's score just dropped to 89% on RT :(

#75 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@wolverine08 said:

These numbers usually drop after more reviews start pouring it, but gotta say, it's looking optimistic ;)

Oh, and I saw the Assembling A Universe documentary last night. While I skipped most of the Winter Soldier parts because I didn't wanna spoil anything, I did stumble across this little factoid about Bucky in this movie.

It's not exactly a spoiler, but it kinda speaks to the portrayal of Bucky in Cap 2. Read at your own risk:

It's basically confirmed that a) Bucky was affected by the experimentation from Arnim Zola in Cap 1 and b) Bucky has received a version of the Super-Soldier Serum

@risingbean @slimj87d @tg1982

Yeah I heard that about Bucky, Chris Evens stated "he gets a serum, similar to my own" or something to that effect. Movie wise it makes sense, and I like the idea, how else would he be able to contend with Cap physically (I know he has his arm but...) I'm just a little worried that noobs will think comic WS has the SSS, but it is a very small concern.

#77 Edited by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: dude are you freaking kidding me man, you just spoiled a major part of the movie for me.

#78 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Oh, I thought everyone read Veshark's spoiler like I did. Sorry man..........

#79 Posted by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: 22000 post... I'm sorry but your post actually ruined a part of my day... I've been looking forward to watching this movie for 10 years, and it was very hard to avoid any spoiler in your post. I've done a good job at avoiding any spoilers for months even with the script leaked.

#80 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Dude, I sincerely apologize man. I tend to not be too picky regarding small spoilers, didn't consider. If I can make up for this, let me know.

#81 Posted by SlimJ87D (10303 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: it's okay, I had speculated that spoiler, I just wanted the shock value when I found out myself. :-(

#82 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

Since there's been problems with spoiler blocks on this recent bit of news, I'll be sure to double and triple spoiler block this piece of news for anyone interested. It is about the third Captain America movie in an interview with Anthony and Joe Russoe where they give away a VERY big hint about who the villain for the third movie will be. All I'll say is that fans of Brubaker's Cap run and of Captain America history are bound not to be disappointed. Again spoilers for the third film right here so don't open this if you don't want to know anything. I just thought you guys might be interested in this:

#83 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: With your spoiler mate, you only put it in the blacked out spoiler, not the text blocking spoiler. When @slimj87d received your notification, he would have been able to see the blacked out spoiler showing on his notification. This has happened to me before so you wouldn't have known about it without prior knowledge. It's fine though, this is the Internet we're talking about and it takes steely resolve to avoid all spoilers for everything on here.

Also Slim, avoid my spoiler like the plague if you don't want a hint about the third film's antagonist. I've just posted it for those interested in what the directors have teased.

#84 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Dude, I sincerely apologize man. I tend to not be too picky regarding small spoilers, didn't consider. If I can make up for this, let me know.

#85 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Thanks man. Been having problems with the spoiler button like Lavender noted.

#86 Posted by RisingBean (4309 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: That was my guess. I'm glad to see I'm right sometimes.

@lvenger: Oddly enough. I don't know if I like that. I'm sure they can swing it, but it seems like a hard sell to me.

@wolverine08: Stop rustling those jimmies. Always starting trouble. I thought the Canadian was a kind and helpful type,eager to help us pull tractors from ditches and keep America safe from the Frost Giants to the far North. You sir, are quite something else.

Oh and @veshark You can take your early release date and CHOKE ON IT! *Bitterness and tears follow*

#87 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d: Thanks man. Been having problems with the spoiler button like Lavender noted.

Funnily enough, you've picked a nickname I got called at school. I say nickname but it's way less cooler than any nickname I've had :P

#88 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

Funnily enough, you've picked a nickname I got called at school. I say nickname but it's way less cooler than any nickname I've had :P

Oh, lol. I just noticed this.

#89 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: It's all a part of the plan! Canada is going to usurp the US, and we starting the movement by dropping the friendly attitudes!

#90 Posted by Squares (7465 posts) - - Show Bio
#91 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean Sorry, RB, couldn't hear you over the sound of a newly-bought premiere ticket in my hand!

@slimj87d Man, apologies if my post indirectly spoiled a part of the movie for you. It's partly my fault for not keeping dangerous spoilers away from small children. *winks at @wolverine08*

#92 Posted by Wolverine08 (43596 posts) - - Show Bio
#93 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Since there's been problems with spoiler blocks on this recent bit of news, I'll be sure to double and triple spoiler block this piece of news for anyone interested. It is about the third Captain America movie in an interview with Anthony and Joe Russoe where they give away a VERY big hint about who the villain for the third movie will be. All I'll say is that fans of Brubaker's Cap run and of Captain America history are bound not to be disappointed. Again spoilers for the third film right here so don't open this if you don't want to know anything. I just thought you guys might be interested in this:

I'm not sure how I would feel about this. I personally think there are a plethora of villains they could pick from, I would love to see Zemo personally.

@veshark said:

@risingbean Sorry, RB, couldn't hear you over the sound of a newly-bought premiere ticket in my hand!

Well you can take that "newly-bought premiere ticket" and stick it up your nose!!!! After you enjoy CA:TWS of course. ;-P

#94 Posted by RisingBean (4309 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: First off. I hate you.

Secondly. I hate you.

#95 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: @tg1982: I have to admit this is strange. I'd thought more Cap fans would be pleased with this news but it seems like you have issues with it. Fair enough, I just wasn't expecting scathing eyes on my spoilery news lol.

#96 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean @tg1982 Sticks and stones may break my bones...but I'm still watching The Winter Soldier in 4 days. :D

@lvenger I'll check your news out after I catch TWS, though I have a sneaking suspicion I know what it entails...

#97 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Tell me if your sneaking suspicion was right once you read it. When do you see The Winter Soldier?

#98 Posted by RisingBean (4309 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

I just think there are better places to go then 50's Cap, and I also am wary of them mucking up the timeline. Zemo is somebody I really want to see so unless Redford's character is him in disguise, at this rate we may not see him. Don't get me wrong, even though the premise isn't one I'd want the most if it was done in line with the majority of the MCU, I'd enjoy the hell out of it. IM3 is the only strikeout over eight movies. That is a pretty good score.

@veshark: Four days. Damn. It's coming up fast. I'm doing pretty good at keeping busy and it seems like it'll be here any moment. And even though I hate you doubly, I really hope you enjoy the hell out of it. A pal of mine sent me the IGN review over facebook. It got excellent marks. I'm fantastically optimistic.

#99 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger March 27! When is it out in the UK?

@risingbean Thanks RB, I hope you do too. I did browse through the IGN review, but I'm always a little skeptical of theirs. You can be a comic fan and still have an objective viewpoint, but IGN tends to come across as somewhat opinionated (It was probably their MoS review that gave me that impression).

Still, I am optimistic as hell. I've been rereading Winter Soldier (again); just getting into the hype and counting down the days. I'm telling you, if TWS hits the heights of Iron Man 1 and The Avengers, I'm gonna go over the moon. I'm hoping this will open up the Brubaker run and the character of Bucky to new fans.

And yeah, the movie's great and all, but we all know the real fun starts with the hordes of online TWS discussions that will undoubtedly follow ;)

#100 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: March 26th I believe but unlike you, I don't have a ticket to the premiere so you'll still see it before me :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.