Why should I go see Captain America?

#1 Posted by OracleX (294 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a big fan of Captain America because I'm not familiar with many of his story lines. What I know from the trailer is this: A scrawny WW II soldier gets juiced up, given a shield by a woman that he will fall in love with, and dressed up like an American flag. There is also a guy with a red skull that is some how involved with Hitler.

This movie is going to be a much harder sell than the other Marvel-based movies. With Thor, you were guaranteed a good CGI light show with scenes from Asgard. The X-men already had a movie fan base to work from. Iron Man would be the closest comparison one could make, but it was fun watching Robert Downey Jr. have fun in each situation because that is how the character was designed. How fun can a World War II drama be?

Captain America is basically Marvel's version of the Blue Boyscout except without the cool powers and back story. I would also like to lodge a complaint with Marvel for trying to shoe-horn love stories into their movies. DC is really no better, but I still expect some more more well-rounded female characters as it creates more movies leading into the the Avengers movie (though I did like Sif).

Alright Captain America fans, put down your Friendly's Captain America ice cream and star-shaped donuts and get to a keyboard. Your assignment: Convince this cynical user that seeing this movie will be worth the price of admission.

#2 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Top 3 reasons you should see Captain America. 
1.  Nazis... more or less. 
2.  Continuity.  If you're going to see Avengers next year, you should see this.  If you liked IronMan and iHulk, and/or Thor, you'll want to see this. 
3.  See 1.  Aside from finding a way to digitally insert Harrison Ford, this'll be the best Nazi-killing film since Indiana Jones.

#3 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Chris Evans is in it, and he's hot? And Peggy isn't a shoehorn into the story -- she actually is Cap's legit WW2 girlfriend. Because this will at the least be a fantastical period piece that will only add t=to your Avengers movie-going experience? Because Chris Evans is in it, and he's hot? 

#4 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

You should watch the last trailer. It actually looks very promissing, but I won't judge it too early.
I never really liked Captain America, because he is hardly overrated in my opinion and the fact that they took Chris Evans as the actor is also not making it better. He was already the Human Torch. Will he also let his hair grow and play Sentry in a movie? 

We have so much talented actors on the world and Hollywood is still picking the same 20 actors for every movie, just because they think they would get them more viewers.
HEY, THE NEW JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE IS COMING OUT! STARE:
Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan
Ryan Reynolds as The Flash
Ryan Reynolds as Wonder Woman

#5 Edited by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru said:

You should watch the last trailer. It actually looks very promissing, but I won't judge it too early. I never really liked Captain America, because he is hardly overrated in my opinion and the fact that they took Chris Evans as the actor is also not making it better. He was already the Human Torch. Will he also let his hair grow and play Sentry in a movie?   We have so much talented actors on the world and Hollywood is still picking the same 20 actors for every movie, just because they think they would get them more viewers. HEY, THE NEW JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE IS COMING OUT! STARE: Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan Ryan Reynolds as The Flash Ryan Reynolds as Wonder Woman

. . .  

No, he's still hot. XD 
#6 Posted by OracleX (294 posts) - - Show Bio

I like being proven wrong in some cases. So I can't wait to see the movie!

#7 Posted by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's gonna kick-ass!

#8 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it has the potential for character-driven story and a "grounded" superhero the same way Batman was. I do emphasize "potential" though.

#9 Posted by fbdarkangel (4884 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira said:
Because Chris Evans is in it, and he's hot? And Peggy isn't a shoehorn into the story -- she actually is Cap's legit WW2 girlfriend. Because this will at the least be a fantastical period piece that will only add t=to your Avengers movie-going experience? Because Chris Evans is in it, and he's hot? 
what she said!
#10 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Because there is still a fair chance at Captain America punching out Hitler.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Captain America is the only piece of Nationalist propaganda in history that has evolved into something globally-accessible and completely awesome?

#12 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5378 posts) - - Show Bio

First and foremost reason: Captain America deserved another movie after the 90's movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.