Why Is Captain America Called The First Avenger?

• 69 results
#51 Posted by tomlikesfries (4867 posts) - - Show Bio

@capt said:

Who was the first Avenger?

Hulk, Pym, Wasp, Iron Man and Thor were the first avengers.

Cap only joined at issue #4 I think.

#52 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

i really don't know.

maybe calling it "captain america" would be boring

#53 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy: He wasn't the first superhero though, there was was during WW1 and even before that.

The first to be a superhero that ended up as an Avenger, I mean.

#54 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy: He wasn't the first superhero though, there was was during WW1 and even before that.

Wouldn't that have been Thor? He was a hero before Steve was a twinkle in his mothers eye. Namor as well is both an Avenger and became a hero before Steve.

Iron Man formed the team and Wasp named them Avengers so ether of them would have been the First Avenger.

#55 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Wouldn't that have been Thor? He was a hero before Steve was a twinkle in his mothers eye. Namor as well is both an Avenger and became a hero before Steve.

Iron Man formed the team and Wasp named them Avengers so ether of them would have been the First Avenger.

Yeah I see where you're getting at. IDK. Personally I think that subtitle is horrible. Sounds cheesy.

#56 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Because technically he was. He was one of the first Marvel characters back when Marvel Comics was called Timely Comics and he was an Avenger so therefore he was the First Avenger

#57 Posted by joshmightbe (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@capt: Technically either Thor or Iron Man would be considered the actual First Avenger

#58 Posted by joshmightbe (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

It was really just a alternate title slapped on for the sake of marketing to countries without a high opinion of America. They left it as a subtitle here to avoid confusion

#59 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Because technically he was. He was one of the first Marvel characters back when Marvel Comics was called Timely Comics and he was an Avenger so therefore he was the First Avenger

He wasn't at all, Marvel/Timely had hundreds of characters before Cap was on the scene and he wasn't even on the original roster of the Avengers

#60 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

He wasn't at all, Marvel/Timely had hundreds of characters before Cap was on the scene and he wasn't even on the original roster of the Avengers

Let me rephrase. Out of ANY of the Timely characters, Cap, Bucky, and Namor are really the only ones that aren't considered obscure. Captain America was around BEFORE the Avengers and later on became one, it's the same thing with calling Namor the First Mutant. He was around BEFORE the X-Men, but later on it was revealed he was a mutant and thus in terms of real world time he is the first mutant ever.

#61 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Let me rephrase. Out of ANY of the Timely characters, Cap, Bucky, and Namor are really the only ones that aren't considered obscure. Captain America was around BEFORE the Avengers and later on became one, it's the same thing with calling Namor the First Mutant. He was around BEFORE the X-Men, but later on it was revealed he was a mutant and thus in terms of real world time he is the first mutant ever.

The other characters are only obscure today, back then they weren't. Namor was a hero before Cap and he's also an Avenger so why wasn't he the "First"? Same with Union Jack, Thor and many others.

#62 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: For one it was just the title of the movie so it would appeal to a wider audience and two I'm just giving my two cents on how he could possibly be called that.

#63 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Namor called the first mutant, when he wasn't? :P

Namor was the first Mutant ever created by Marvel (1939) and Cap is called the First Avenger because he was the first hero that was created who is in the Avengers.

#64 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Posted by HumanRocket (9347 posts) - - Show Bio

Logic in comics= it doesn't matter!

Jk it's just a title. Same as in avengers earths mightest heroes. They call him the first avenger but he really wasn't. I guess u can say when the all winners team was formed it was a early version of the avengers and cap was the leader of that team. But it's really just a title for the movie.

#66 Posted by DCWarFan73 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone was reading too far into this one - he was the first avenger in terms of the current Avengers (Hulk, Thor, Iron Man etc) in that he appeared first historically. Thor was a god yes but he was never the hero of Earth until later in our history. Cap arrived during WW2 and all others appeared later. I think that clarifies it.

#67 Posted by joshmightbe (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

Why is Namor called the first mutant, when he wasn't? :P

Namor was the first Mutant ever created by Marvel (1939) and Cap is called the First Avenger because he was the first hero that was created who is in the Avengers.

Technically the original Human Torch's side kick Toro was the first Marvel character to be referred to as a Mutant, Namor got his status as "First Mutant" in a retcon.

#68 Edited by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

What people seem to be forgetting is that Cap isn't, to my knowledge, called "The First Avenger" in the comics, but in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where Namor, and The original Human Torch, don't exist (at least not yet), and Cap in the MCU is the first public "superhero", even though Thor was around first, he wasn't viewed as a superhero, but as a god, even then only by a few (when speaking in terms of the world's population) people. While Cap was, due to newsreels, the movies, and the actual fighting of the war, more globally recognized, or at least known. Just my opinion.

#69 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

What people seem to be forgetting is that Cap isn't, to my knowledge, called "The First Avenger" in the comics, but in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where Namor, and The original Human Torch, don't exist (at least not yet), and Cap in the MCU is the first public "superhero", even though Thor was around first, he wasn't viewed as a superhero, but as a god, even then only by a few (when speaking in terms of the world's population) people. While Cap was, due to newsreels, the movies, and the actual fighting of the war, more globally recognized, or at least known. Just my opinion.

Pretty much this. Also they probably threw that in to tie-in the movie to the Avengers. Basically all of the solo movies were just buildups to the Avengers, I imagine they wanted to hammer home the connection.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.