Who the f* keeps changing his name to Steven Grant "Steve" Rogers

#1 Posted by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

The Real Name should be Steven Grant  Rogers. There should not be a "Steve" in there. Steve is a nickname and should be listed as an alias.
No one ever spells their name with quotation marks, so it would be great if everyone could stop with this nonsense.
Also if anyone spots similar stupidity on other pages, please change it, thanks.

NOT LIKE THIS!
#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13680 posts) - - Show Bio

amen, im effin sick of people putting the nicknames in the REAL NAME section
#3 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

why would domeone do that...it makes no sense...
#4 Posted by Vitality (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

That's blasphemy .
#5 Posted by Vitality (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

That actual funny part is...now that you have brought this to everyones attention...it will probably be changed all the time now.
#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not even a nick name its just a shortened version of his name

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio

who cares .
we all know his name.
why make a thread about it?

#8 Edited by Vitality (1765 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

"who cares .we all know his name. why make a thread about it? "

You must understand...people take their comicvine very serious.
#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality: As a whole we as comic fans tend obsess about things we probably shouldn't I've literally seen dudes in a comic shop come close to fist fighting over captain america's shoe size
#10 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality said:
" @BiteMe-Fanboy said:

You must understand...people take their comicvine very serious. "
Just change it back. I don't see how making a thread about it is going to help. Ain't like the guy who keeps changing it is going to pop up and say 'ME! mwahahahaha!'
#11 Posted by Vitality (1765 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
" @Vitality said:
" @BiteMe-Fanboy said:

You must understand...people take their comicvine very serious. "
Just change it back. I don't see how making a thread about it is going to help. Ain't like the guy who keeps changing it is going to pop up and say 'ME! mwahahahaha!' "

Some people also like to up their post count.  
At least, that's my guess on why there are so many, borderline absurd, threads. It's all about the post count.
#12 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
" who cares .we all know his name. why make a thread about it? "
Because we want the Comic Vine database to be accurate.  People who make unnecessary changes like this need to be made aware that they're doing the wrong thing.  Therefore it's necessary to 'make a thread about it' to raise awareness & help prevent the same mistake in future.
#13 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I don't see the big deal. 
Maybe if someone was putting a totally different name or something.
But okay.

Obviously the person who keeps changing it knows what he/she is doing, they are just trying to troll.
Or they don't consider 'Steve' to be an alias and thinks what most people refer to Cap as should be in the real name.

#14 Posted by Vitality (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

It's also funny because...on Marvel Universe wiki...his Real Name is listed as Steven "Steve" Rogers. 

So now I guess it's a case of who is right and who is wrong? 
comicvine.com or marvel.com
#15 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality said:

" It's also funny because...on Marvel Universe wiki...his Real Name is listed as Steven "Steve" Rogers.  So now I guess it's a case of who is right and who is wrong? comicvine.com or marvel.com "

Bwahaha. I rest my case. ^.^.

j/k.
#16 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality said:
" It's also funny because...on Marvel Universe wiki...his Real Name is listed as Steven "Steve" Rogers.  So now I guess it's a case of who is right and who is wrong? comicvine.com or marvel.com "
It's either or, if you write in the middle name the nick name is not added, if you add the nick name you don't use the middle.
#17 Posted by .Andferne. (582 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality said:
" So now I guess it's a case of who is right and who is wrong? comicvine.com or marvel.com "
Between the two sites I would trust CV over Marvel.com.
#18 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Andferne. said:

" @Vitality said:

" So now I guess it's a case of who is right and who is wrong? comicvine.com or marvel.com "
Between the two sites I would trust CV over Marvel.com. "
Comic vine is definately a better site to get information on a certain character. But like I said before putting 'Steve' within the real name in the encyclopedia isn't that big of a deal. Because it's correct information, and it's not an alias, it's what people refer to Cap as. So hell, throw it into the real name. If it wasn't that to begin with, oh well, who cares.
#19 Posted by .Andferne. (582 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy: Since the section is asking for his Real name and not a nick name. Yes.
#20 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Andferne. said:

" @BiteMe-Fanboy: Since the section is asking for his Real name and not a nick name. Yes. "

It list's the real name. It says Steven Grant 'Steve' Rogers.
For people who aren't familiar with Cap they can read that section and automactically see that he is referred to as 'Steve' and not 'Steven'. It makes perfect sense, and I don't understand whats the fuss about.
'Steve' is not an alias. An alias is a 'false name' used to conceal someones identity.
#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically Captain America is his nick name 

#22 Posted by .Andferne. (582 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy: This is actually a very simple thing. You just choose to over-complicate it. The section asks for his real name. Which is Steven Grant Rogers. It does not ask for alias, or nicknames. In fact there is an entire section devoted for nicknames and alias to listed. This is common sense.
#23 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Andferne. said:
" @BiteMe-Fanboy: This is actually a very simple thing. You just choose to over-complicate it. The section asks for his real name. Which is Steven Grant Rogers. It does not ask for alias, or nicknames. In fact there is an entire section devoted for nicknames and alias to listed. This is common sense. "
Over-complicate? Didn't I say who cares about what it says?
I'm not going to argue. It really doesn't matter what it says to me.
The whole reason I posted in the first place because I don't see it as such a big deal.
#24 Posted by Larkin1388 (1733 posts) - - Show Bio

*Facepalm*

#25 Posted by .Andferne. (582 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy: Seeing as you have just now spent the last half hour talking about the subject says otherwise.
#26 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8091 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Andferne. said:

" @BiteMe-Fanboy: Seeing as you have just now spent the last half hour talking about the subject says otherwise. "

Yes. Because I was basically just explaining my stand on how this whole thread is pointless. I am done with this thread, I am not going back and forth with you, making pointless remarks to each other. Peace
#27 Posted by .Andferne. (582 posts) - - Show Bio
@BiteMe-Fanboy: Take care.
#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of agree with BiteMe-Fanboy..I don't think this is thread worthy but as someone who has contributed to alot to the wiki I know how frustrating it is when people make unnecessary changes to certain bios.I had a problem for a while with someone changing the section in Daredevil's bio about his phony twin brother "Mike Murdock" to "Matt Murdock" as if I didn't write it that way on purpose.If they had actually read the section they would have known.Can't stand when people who didn't contribute change the characters default picture to fanart or some nonsensical photo either but...I've ranted enough.

#29 Posted by primepower53 (5591 posts) - - Show Bio
@Powerzone789 said:
"why would domeone do that...it makes no sense... "
#30 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

Accuracy is important.
#31 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

My real name is Steven, but my friends call me Steve. And FYI, it doesn't have Steven Andrew "Steve" Garcia on my birth certificate. =P

#32 Edited by fesak (6981 posts) - - Show Bio

For the... Why is this so hard to understand?
Some idiot keeps changing it back, and for ****s sake stop it!
No one ever has their name spelled with quotation marks on drivers licences, etc. It looks so incredibly unprofessional and stupid.

#33 Posted by Jake Fury (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

Real name=what's on his birth certificate.
#34 Edited by Billy Batson (58354 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, this guy is awesome. He/she doesn't afraid of anything.

BB

#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
Real name=what's on his birth certificate.
What about people who had it legally changed?
#36 Edited by lokiofmidgaard (311 posts) - - Show Bio

His name is Steven Rogers, not Steven Grant Rogers. In 1978's Captain America #225, Cap sees Professor Mason Harding for help dealing with amnesia about his first 18 or so years of life. Harding's machine breaks through the veil over his memories and he recalls a childhood in Maryland as Steven Grant Rogers, son of diplomat Walter Rogers and with an elder brother Michael whose death at Pearl Harbor subsequently inspired Cap to enlist. However, in time Cap comes to doubt these memories because he was active way before Pearl Harbor (he helped found the Invaders within a day or two of that event) and because he's getting conflicting memory flashes of growing up in New York clashing with the crystal clear, highly detailed memories of his Maryland childhood. So in 1980's Captain America #247 he visits SHIELD, and Dum Dum Dugan tracks down Steve's old army footlocker. In it he finds his old journal, and a note that on Christmas Eve 1941 his army superior, aware Steve was due to go overseas with the Invaders and thus risk being captured, summoned Steve. To prevent him spilling vital secrets should he be captured, they plant false memories to confuse any interrogators. They introduce him to diplomat Walter Rogers, who is NOT related to Steve, but whose two sons, Michael and Grant, both died in Pearl Harbor. Steve spends the next couple of days having false memories plugged into him, using the late Grant Rogers' life as the basis for Steve's fake one. Dr. Harding's memory probe triggered the preprogrammed false memories. And here's Steve's exact quote from Captain America #247, p17, panel 1 

"My middle name's not Grant...I never had a middle name!"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.