Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Which of the new Cap designs do you like best?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

After going through a somewhat recent blog of mine discussing thoughts on the new designs, Cap's seemed to be the more controversial one. With there being about 3-4 different designs running around, some readers have hinted at a bit of frustration with it. So I wanted to get CV's opinion on which one they like.

Opena
    Opena
    JRJR redesign
    JRJR redesign
    Cassaday
    Cassaday
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Opena.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Deranged Midget

Not a fan of Cassady's redesign nor am I really a fan of his art in general.

For me, Opena's and JRJR's are almost the same with minor differences in details.

girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By girth

Opena. Always loved the ultimate look.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SoA

voted opena

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: I absolutely adored Cassaday in Whedon's Astonishing run. I feel UA he falls kind of flat though. And I have absolutely no idea why he gave knee pads.

Personally, I prefer the JRJR look. I really don't have a problem with it, but I feel that Opena and the Marvel NOW design in general is too close to the movie and Ultimate Version of the character. I think JRJR did a pretty solid job of modernizing Cap's outfit while keeping the details that separated Ult and 616 Cap like keeping the wingtips, which have always been kind of goofy but are iconic, attached to the helmet rather than painted on. And he doesn't have any weird looking knee pads. I just kind of wish Marvel would settle on a redesign instead of having 3 different versions running around and even one Avengers book I believe has his classic 616 attire.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

@god_spawn said:

@Deranged Midget: I absolutely adored Cassaday in Whedon's Astonishing run. I feel UA he falls kind of flat though. And I have absolutely no idea why he gave knee pads.

Personally, I prefer the JRJR look. I really don't have a problem with it, but I feel that Opena and the Marvel NOW design in general is too close to the movie and Ultimate Version of the character. I think JRJR did a pretty solid job of modernizing Cap's outfit while keeping the details that separated Ult and 616 Cap like keeping the wingtips, which have always been kind of goofy but are iconic, attached to the helmet rather than painted on. And he doesn't have any weird looking knee pads. I just kind of wish Marvel would settle on a redesign instead of having 3 different versions running around and even one Avengers book I believe has his classic 616 attire.

Yeah, his work was on an entirely different level when he worked with Whedon. It honestly looks likely a completely different artist.

As do I. Opena's outfit looks similar to JRJR's but honestly to me, it looks too... rigid. It doesn't seem very functional and I can't see Steve being able to move fluidly or agile as he should be able to and it just looks a little too much like armour than a suit. So that kind of bothers me and to be completely frank, I love JRJR's art and I'm probably one of the only people who will ever say that lol :P

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: JRJR is good on more focused books. When he draws big event things it looks like a bunch of 12 year olds running around. Enemy of the State and WWH were done pretty well IMO. AvX looked terrible. I like that he is keeping to the classics but modernizing it without being too close to another Cap.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TimeLordScience

I can't believe I'm saying this but JRJR's is the best. Even though I'm not too fond of his art in general.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Stormbox

Opena

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Out of the choices above I like Opena's the best, it's the most realistic and looks like something a Super-Soldier like Captain America would wear into battle.

But if I had to choose from all of the various designs, I have to go with this redesign.

Captain America #1 variant cover by Ryan Meinerding
    Captain America #1 variant cover by Ryan Meinerding
    StooshD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StooshD

Iv got to give it to JRJR. The outfit looks tough enough to serve as amour while flexible enough to pull some of the stunts in #1 which in my humble opinion f*cking rocked! I always like the 616 wingtips not being painted on as well.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deranged Midget

@god_spawn said:

JRJR is good on more focused books. When he draws big event things it looks like a bunch of 12 year olds running around. Enemy of the State and WWH were done pretty well IMO. AvX looked terrible. I like that he is keeping to the classics but modernizing it without being too close to another Cap.

Yeah, I thought his limits were stretched a bit with World War Hulk but he's done fantastic work on Spider-Man, Kick Ass, Enemy of the State( Wolverine as you stated) and despite my initial thoughts, he's doing a far better job on Cap than I originally thought he would.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

JRJR for me. It still has that classic feel to it, without changing too many things around. I can't STAND the Opena design. It looks like a BAD new version of the Ultimate costume and I for one HATE it.

krauser99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By krauser99

I dislike all three. But if I have to choose it would be Opena.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tg1982

JRJr's version I think is the best. It's a comprimise between classic and current that I can live with. I've always thought Cap's original was fine but wouldn't have been opposed to changing the boots and gloves. JRJr does the best of that, IMO. Plus you have to keep the wing tips.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@tg1982 said:

Plus you have to keep the wing tips.

Shouldn't mess with the classics.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KnightRise

Opena would be perfect if the helmet had wings. Even if they're just studs on the surface

Actually, scratch that Cassaday but the upper body/scale armor doesn't look right.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tg1982

@KnightRise: You think so? I don't know I think JRJr's is perfect, IMO.

@god_spawn said:

@tg1982 said:

Plus you have to keep the wing tips.

Shouldn't mess with the classics.

You damn straight!!!!! :-)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@KnightRise: I don't mind Cassaday's I just hate the knee pads. They are obnoxious to look at.

@tg1982: It's like "I wanna read 616 Cap, not Ultimate." Whatevs. I just want them to settle on one style instead of 4 different versions in x amount of titles. I don't even mind Opena's tbh but I'd rather it still be a classic esque looking outfit.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tg1982

@god_spawn: Totaly agree, 100 percent. They need to pick a version and stick with it. I honestly like all 3, but they need to pick one.

ZEELLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By ZEELLO

I am going purely by the pics posted

The first one seems like the most realistic whereas the third one looks the most like captain america.

by the way is it odd that he has an A on his forehead? Maybe it would say USA or just have a star, like his shield and chest. But then again it might be repetitive to have stars in all 3 places.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tg1982

@ZEELLO: I don't thnk it's odd at all, honestly. It would be odd if he had a hammer and sickle instead. The A stands for America.

I remember Leifield took off the A during heroes reborn and replaced it, and everybody hated it with a passion.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarkDay

@Girth said:

Opena. Always loved the ultimate look.

Agreed. I know it's blasphemy but I'm not a fan of the wings.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

Opena's by far.

ZEELLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By ZEELLO

hehe I figured out what to do about the "A". Replace it with a star. then replace the star on his chest with like a wing pattern or a hawk emblem.

well maybe

btw the first pic looks pretty stale on second thought. Plus the 2 spider characters look out of place since nothing else in the pic really seems recognizable to me.

Theres something about the third pic though that just looks colorful and fun and makes you want to read. There's even Thor and there's funny dialogue and omg it actually looks like Captain American, did I mention that, why yes I think I did.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By TDK_1997

Opena's.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_jackolantern

What happened to this trend?people liking JRJR!this is the bizarro universe right here

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.