What's the Best Captain America Costume?

• 89 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 Maybe not as drastic an alternative as this.

MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3 is finally hitting the shelves next week and, now that the full line-up’s been revealed, the next batch of surprises will presumably be found in the alternate costumes that’ll be available for all the characters. You know, like how you can choose between playing as regular Spidey, Iron Spidey or Symbiote Spidey. Since everybody’s talking about Cap now because of that kick-ass Super Bowl spot, I figured it was appropriate to parlay the two discussions together and do a little list of possible alternate costumes for the Sentinel of Liberty. We already know that players can choose approximations of the Red Guardian’s outfit and the Punisher’s patriotic wet suit, but I’m sure there will be plenty additional ones available for download.

Even if you aren’t a fan of the games, come on and participate. While the classic star spangled spandex is indisputably the best, let’s say a costume change was coming to the comics. Out of all the alternates Mr. Steve Rogers has worn in the past, which one would you maniacs want to make a comeback? == TEASER ==

NOMAD 

Cap wore this during a period of disillusionment in the 70s where he conscientiously abandoned the Captain America identity after witnessing the American president (a sleeper agent for the Secret Empire) commit suicide. Cap wandered the country as a “man without a country,” a nomad in codename and in quality. Truthfully, it’s a bit garish with the collar buckles and the really low-cut v-neck collar, and the re-design that Rikki Barnes is currently wearing looks a lot better. The cape is also pretty impractical: Cap actually tripping on it once established that pretty effectively.

THE CAPTAIN 

Another outfit taken on during a period of conscientious objection when Mr. Rogers abandoned the Captain America identity (this time because the government demanded he serve them blindly.) He wore it for a time as the Captain while John Walker served as the sixth Captain America, and it eventually became yet another hand-me-down for Walker. It's a cool design - -  having an undercurrent of political edge that always struck me as what an anarchist parody of Cap would look like - - and it's obvious that the USAgent identity was devised just to give a reason for it come back. 

ARMOR 

This most surely the most reviled choice on this list. It debuted during the mid-90s and was seen by many fans as a strained attempt to make Cap as edgy as the grim ‘n gritty heroes that dominated that era. The plot behind it was actually pretty well reasoned, though. When the Super Soldier Serum broke down after decades of reaction (with Steve's body basically rejecting the juice) Cap was left nearly crippled. Iron Man then built his buddy an armor to keep him up and kicking and, considering that, it’s actually an odd bit of forshadowing for the Iron Patriot suit Norman Osborn would eventually wear. 

EARTH X 

Though this was never actually worn in the 616-verse, it’s such a powerful Alex Ross design that I think its inclusion is duel warranted here. Like the Captain costume, this has the rare quality of making some politico-philosophical statements simply through design choice. It's an undoubtedly provocative image to see a hero representing the American dream in such shambles; for him to even be wearing a tattered flag as some kind of tunic. Indeed, this outfit fulfills the Nomad claim better than actual Nomad outfit does.     

SUPER-SOLDIER 

Yeah, this does look like a uniform a member of G.I. JOE ought to wear and I say… what’s wrong with that? G.I. Joe was actually fashioned off S.H.I.E.L.D. so the lineage of ideas would certainly fit.  

This is a smartly designed outfit that looks practical enough to be worn in reality while still having the necessary flash a superhero outfit needs. Some fans have been dubious about the prospect of having two Caps running around at once, but I’m totally down for Steve to continue in this role while Bucky serves as Cap. It just seems like a natural evolution for the characters, and this costume reflects that very well.   

There are plenty more of Cap's outfits to choose from; not just in the regular Marvel universe, but also in all the worlds scattered across the multi-verse. Which one do you maniacs think deserves the elusive distinction of "best alternate?"

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

#1 Posted by howlettgrowl (729 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Chris Evan's costume will look like the SUPER-SOLDIER for the Avengers film...that would be so cool!!!!!

#2 Posted by Ms. Omega (4432 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Super-Soldier one the best

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I just like regular Cap. 

#4 Posted by KasadyCarnage (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer either Super Soilder or The Captain.
#5 Posted by unclesam (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Earth X is rad, but I dont think it would look good in the game. 

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12931 posts) - - Show Bio
*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Steve's alternates in MvC3 are post civil war punisher, red gaurdian, and MvC2 

#7 Posted by Ontherun1994 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Super soldier > everything else

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12931 posts) - - Show Bio

i like Regular, super-soldier,the captain, and Nomad  
#9 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

Its between his regular and his super soldier costume

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the best Captain America costume.

Captain America - American Icon
#11 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the Bucky design.  It's Sleek and Sexy,  Also i dig the fact that the mask/chest/ captain america part is removable. 

Also the Jae Lee, Chain mail design. is a personal favorite, probably my most.  It just has this epic, legendary feel to it. 

#12 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc:
I'll second that!
#13 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the Bucky design.  It's Sleek and Sexy,  Also i dig the fact that the mask/chest/ captain america part is removable. 

Also the Jae Lee, Chain mail design. is a personal favorite, probably my most.  It just has this epic, legendary feel to it. 

#14 Posted by War Killer (20129 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Marvel would use Bucky's uniform more....I mean seriously, I was ticked when it wasn't an alt for MUA2, I just wish they would show of Bucky as Cap more to the general public in things such as games and actions figures and whatnot...... -__-

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7729 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Posted by tbpinkfloyd (126 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by GraphicCasualFreak (221 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the super solider 

#18 Posted by EXTREMlS (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Soldier

#19 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not much of a Captian America fan, but I think Captian or Super-Soldier looks the best.
#20 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Soldier look was pretty awesome

#21 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

super soldier= BAD @$$
#22 Posted by Technoman (133 posts) - - Show Bio

Super soldier.

#23 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate WW2 is awesome.  
Bucky's Captain Puerto Rico look would make sense, but I'm not found of the triangle and shiny look. 

Marvel Zombies would be a cool one, as would American Dream.   
As long as its not the 1979 Reb Brown CBS TV movie costume 

#24 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE Ultimate Caps current suit he's wearing in Aaron's run. I'm really fond of the current Super Soldier suit. It's very G.I. Joe in the best way possible. It's also patriotic but not jingoistic  

#25 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Soldier....it fits him the most

#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate WWII for me. Then The Captain. Then Captain Puerto Rico.

#27 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

ult. cap and james barnes !!!

#28 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Bucky's captain america suit is the best. 

#29 Posted by ArtJoker (521 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Soldier!

#30 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

love the Ultiate version with or without the helmet, but his super soldier suit is good too. He just needs a new hair cut.  The 70's part to the side is weak.
#31 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet the alternatives will be Bucky's and Super soldier :)

#32 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

the Origininal is the best but I love the super soldier one as well.
#33 Posted by Master_Of_Evil (135 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like his new costume

#34 Posted by The Average Bear (2074 posts) - - Show Bio
I like the new costume. I didn't like the scales on the original. I interpret the scales as kind of a steel mesh, but nonetheless he looked akin to Awuaman. I like the metallic look of Buckys costume. Also, the black element in it seems to reflect Buckys past and more capital-punishment demeanor. All of the other costumes mentioned in this post seem insignificant when compared to the ones that have made such an impact like the three I mentioned. They seem situation-sensitive to me, or arc-sensitive, much like Spider-Man and Iron Mans many appearance variations. 
#35 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

#1 - Bucky Cap

#2 - Ultimates 1 Modern Cap

#3 - Ultimates 1 WWII Cap
#36 Posted by playdohsrepublic (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Bucky, Super-Soldier and WWII are musts for alternate outfits. The Captain for the honorable mention and Nomad strictly for laughs. (Right along side the Amazing Bag-Man for spider-man). That outfit make him look like he ownse a rotating bed and collection of sensual oils. 
#37 Posted by Evpraksiya (260 posts) - - Show Bio
@tbpinkfloyd said:
"
"
that one. super soldier is nice but makes me think of him like he is a part of an aviation squadron..he is captain america if he drop the flag WW would look like captain america more than him (her previous looks in fact...)
#38 Posted by leokearon (1788 posts) - - Show Bio

#39 Posted by HexThis (895 posts) - - Show Bio

Whichever one Steve Rogers is filling. I hate that Bucky is in his costume these days, I can't believe it's come to this.

#40 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

The Super Soldier is already one of my favs!
I'm just glad they didn't make it plain black and gritty like most military modern costumes in fiction (GIJoe movie, X-Men in the movies, many Marvel and DC redesigns, etc..)
but kept it colorful and iconic.

Apart from that the US Soldier is a fav of mine too^^

#41 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

Super soldier. 

I'm usually conservative about comics, but this one is REALLY cool and feel realistic enough.  

Still, I just miss the shield.
#42 Posted by EternalBiker (158 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the super soldier one and the ultiamte costumes of  Captain AMerica
#43 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Revised Nomad costume would be cool. I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

#44 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

the last one awesome

#45 Posted by Raven0207 (1303 posts) - - Show Bio

Im one for Suprt Soldier

#46 Posted by antiterra (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of Steve Rogers's current costume, which is barely a costume at all. It looks classy, serious, but still suitably "super-heroey". And, more importantly, it fits his role perfectly. Does anyone know who created the design?

All in all, I'm not crazy about characters wearing flags unless it's Jenny Sparks or Wonder Woman, so yeah, Super-Soldier suit all the way.

#47 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

if hes not wearing his real costume or the movie version or the ultimate version or the bucky version, then i pick super soldier.
nomad is kind of lame.  he works better as a girl. 
@xhavoc86 said:

" Super Soldier look was pretty awesome "
yup
#48 Posted by CrimsonComedian (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Earth-X or Super Soldier.

#49 Posted by Mentlegen (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Super soldier out of these

#50 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8070 posts) - - Show Bio

The bestess evar :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.