Thoughts about the Captain America movie?

#1 Posted by Daemon707 (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, so I just saw the Captain America movie that just came out, but I was wondering what other people thought about it because so far I have herd that many people hated it  and said it sucked. So I don't, know personally I loved it. It was one of the better Comic movie that has come out, other then The Dark Knight that came out back in 2008 so again I ask "what are the thoughts of it from the people of Comic Vine?"

#2 Posted by Shipwreck (114 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't have a freakin fit about this. It was a good movie and it was cute. The young Steve Rogers was well played. I didn't accept a well rounded character yet, like Batman Begins. I was happy with Bucky and Dum Dum, though I wish they could have done more with Dum Dum. So, was the Asian suppose to be "Lucky Jim?" 

#3 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio

I am still not sure what I think about it.  It was all right at least, though ther were asome elements which bothered me. 
#4 Posted by Feniks (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't come out over here, so haven't seen it yet..

#5 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they did a really good job with it. I thought it was going to end up being cheesy and campy. But it was actually cool, and it was a good lead-in to the Avengers.

#6 Edited by Daemon707 (31 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shipwreck: I think so cuz who else was he suppose to be?
#7 Posted by Daemon707 (31 posts) - - Show Bio
@Feniks: Just wait, then tell me cuz i want to know your own opinion =)
#8 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

My only gripe was the glowing guns.

#9 Edited by pepperr (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't enjoy it - mediocre at best. Cap wasn't Cap; he was a generic hero, not the Cap I've read time and time again. Red Skull was a generic baddie; why is he so boring and typical? Suit was nice, and I did enjoy the tribute to the standard chain mail costume and swash buckling boots. The shiny quality of the shield was a nice way to contrast the matte paint of his shield in comics. Sharon Carter? I didn't catch her first name. He had a great body for the role though, even if they did put in shoulder pads; his lats were huge.

Including Hydra was pretty dumb. The grunts didn't look like Hydra personnel at all; I always viewed them as dummies, like how storm troopers are portrayed in the movies.
I think Cap's powers were appropriate, though exaggerated slightly. Since comics panels aren't in fluid motion, I don't know if he can lift people off of their feet when punching them, with the intention of only knocking them out.

Lastly, what is up with Dugan? He didn't seem at all like what he is in the comics. If they could have gotten the man that voiced him in MUA, that would have been great.

#10 Posted by ThanoStomp (779 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked it, but admittedly, I am very sentimental regarding Cap.  I was very concerned about how to pull of Cap's character without being campy, and they did a good job.  There were two things I would have liked to have seen, and they could have likely been shown together in a single scent -  1) I would have liked to have seen Cap training with his new abilities - speed, acrobatics, fighting, etc.  The chase after he gets his powers does accomplish this a bit, but it doesn't nearly go deep enough.  2) I would have like to have had a dialog about what his abilities were in comparison to a normal human.  This could have been done in a simple side conversation between Peggy Carter and Colonel Phillips while showing Cap train. 

Note that I saw it in 2D, which I prefer.

#11 Posted by pepperr (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThanoStomp
3D sucks. The visuals are horrible in comparison to 2D, so you didn't miss out on anything. 3D generally has darker and less colorful visuals than 2D films.

I agree with #2. THey didn't show him being a leader, though. He was just a "hero". Where is CAP? I saw a guy in a suit pretending to be him, like some damn John Walker.
#12 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it. Saw it for the second time today as a matter of fact. 

There are two things that grind my gears though (Spoiler spoiler): 

1. At the end, Stark and his little team find the cosmic cube. Great. Good. You managed to find the itty bitty cosmic cube, but you can't for the life of you find a giant aircraft with the dude who may have just saved the entire world? 

2. I get that Red Skull is supposed to be worse than Hitler himself, and that the Nazi's were so eager to make everything so orderly, but seriously, why would you label your little bomb-plane things with the location they're supposed to bomb? Also, even if you do decide to label them, why on Earth would you label them in English if you're the leader of a German organisation? 

#13 Posted by CATPANEXE (9367 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked it quite a bit. It wasn't over the top, which is what I feared, but it was a tightly knit film.
I did think Tommy Lee Jones at times got too much screen time, where it should have been Evans, but he
was entertaining enough to make up for it.

#14 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (4987 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
1. At the end, Stark and his little team find the cosmic cube. Great. Good. You managed to find the itty bitty cosmic cube, but you can't for the life of you find a giant aircraft with the dude who may have just saved the entire world? 
They mentioned something about being able to find the Cube because they were tracking its power output. Or something along those lines.
#15 Posted by pepperr (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

2. I get that Red Skull is supposed to be worse than Hitler himself, and that the Nazi's were so eager to make everything so orderly, but seriously, why would you label your little bomb-plane things with the location they're supposed to bomb? Also, even if you do decide to label them, why on Earth would you label them in English if you're the leader of a German organisation? 
That bomb labeling tidbit bugged me too. I noticed it instantly and said to my friend, "Who labels bombs? That's retarded". I didn't even think of the english tidbit; thanks for pointing that out. I liked the beginning most, because after he is injected with SSS, there is no character development. My fav actor was Stan Tucci. He did a great job.
#16 Posted by CurbsideProphet (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

Most, actually everybody I know who saw it said they loved it and it was one of the top live-action comic movies.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw it on opening night and I absolutely loved it!

The movie stayed true to the comic character.

#18 Posted by War Killer (19860 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

I thought the same thing and asked my dad after the movie and his explanation was that during WWII it was common to write something on the bombs before they were dropped. Not sure how accurate that is since I'm not an expert, but it made sense to me. But either way, I feel that things like that are something that can be easily overlooked in terms of the movie at whole.
#19 Posted by Kairan1979 (16701 posts) - - Show Bio

I disliked Captain/Peggy Carter pairing. They had zero chemistry (just compare them and Bruce Banner/Betty Ross from Incredible Hulk, for example). She is much more convincing when she is angry, andeven Colonel Philips showed more emotions in the final scene.

#20 Edited by War Killer (19860 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:

I disliked Captain/Peggy Carter pairing. They had zero chemistry (just compare them and Bruce Banner/Betty Ross from Incredible Hulk, for example). She is much more convincing when she is angry, andeven Colonel Philips showed more emotions in the final scene.

I did feel that the final scene where she's talking to Steve felt a little...unemotional. She just didn't seem to put much emotion into the scene at all but instead had this whole "alright, okay" tone in her voice as if she could careless that the man she was slowly falling in love with was about to die. But overall I think she played a great Peggy.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that this wasn't a love story, sure we could feel that Steve and Peggy had a thing for one another but the movie was NEVER about them and it never felt like they were trying to make about them. Nothing between the two felt forced and Peggy didn't randomly fall in love with Steve half-way through the movie like Jane did in Thor (which was seriously random, one minute she's this smart character on a mission of discovery and the next she's drooling over a shirtless Thor and hanging all over him like a school girl). Instead, we slowly see what COULD have been something more between the two, but never fully see them get anywhere. Captain America is not a love story and people should not go in looking forward to seeing Steve and Peggy have little romantic moments because you will not find them.

@Gambit1024 said:
 Also, even if you do decide to label them, why on Earth would you label them in English if you're the leader of a German organisation? 
 Would like to also point out that cities like "New York", "Chicago", ect are still spelled "New York", "Chicago", ect in both German, just because they are in a different language doesn't change.
#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andy Steven Summers said:
@Gambit1024 said:
They mentioned something about being able to find the Cube because they were tracking its power output. Or something along those lines.
That's understandable, but that plane was freaking huge. And it wasn't like the Titanic where it was at the bottom of the ocean. When SHIELD found it, it was a good 15 to 20 feet below the ice and that was 70 years later. 
#22 Posted by Kairan1979 (16701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024
maybe Howard Stark hoped to hook up with Peggy Carter, that's why he couldn't find Cap? Just a thought.
#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979: I can see that happening with Tony, but Howard didn't strike me as that kind of player. 
#24 Posted by gavinification (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall i liked it. The montage thing was a little annoying though. 
I was also the only person to stay until after the credits. A little awkward.

#25 Posted by Agent9149 (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

i just saw it today and it was amazing i loved everything about me...and im a hard critic when it comes to movies, they actually did a great job on a comic book for once in a while

the relation between peggy and roger was done great..it felt almost real

#26 Posted by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

loved it!

#27 Edited by Daemon707 (31 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE: True but i don't know i wish he was just given a little more screen time but hey your right he was entertaining enough to make up for it and he was a really good Captain America to boot! =)
#28 Posted by The Stegman (22733 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979:  

i think the problem is they keep trying to do romance in the movies, the movies AREN'T ABOUT LOVE STORIES they're about super hero stories, i know that most movies feel the need to put romance in the flicks but honestly it won't work in films like these, that's why the first Ironman was so good, yeah Tony and Pepper had chemistry, but they didn't focus on it, thus they could actually focus on stuff that mattered like...story telling
#29 Posted by The Stegman (22733 posts) - - Show Bio

oh and to answer the question, i really liked the movie, to me the Marvel movies so far are this 

Iron man > Captain America > Thor> Incredible Hulk> ironman 2

#30 Posted by budonkadonk (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it, personally.  It was fun, excited... had some great laughs, and I was actually smiling during the movie...  never do that. 
#31 Edited by pepperr (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

I saw it on opening night and I absolutely loved it!

The movie stayed true to the comic character.

May I ask why you feel that way? I feel that his character was off and did not stand out as a Cap does, when he's with any team; he was just a "hero".  
@War Killer said:

@Kairan1979 said:

I did feel that the final scene where she's talking to Steve felt a little...unemotional. She just didn't seem to put much emotion into the scene at all but instead had this whole "alright, okay" tone in her voice as if she could careless that the man she was slowly falling in love with was about to die. But overall I think she played a great Peggy.  Another thing that should be mentioned is that this wasn't a love story, sure we could feel that Steve and Peggy had a thing for one another but the movie was NEVER about them and it never felt like they were trying to make about them. Nothing between the two felt forced and Peggy didn't randomly fall in love with Steve half-way through the movie like Jane did in Thor (which was seriously random, one minute she's this smart character on a mission of discovery and the next she's drooling over a shirtless Thor and hanging all over him like a school girl). Instead, we slowly see what COULD have been something more between the two, but never fully see them get anywhere. Captain America is not a love story and people should not go in looking forward to seeing Steve and Peggy have little romantic moments because you will not find them.
I agree that this was not a love story, but that doens't mean it cannot include romantic elements, which they attempted to include.
#32 Posted by War Killer (19860 posts) - - Show Bio
@pepperr said:
@War Killer said:

@Kairan1979 said:

I did feel that the final scene where she's talking to Steve felt a little...unemotional. She just didn't seem to put much emotion into the scene at all but instead had this whole "alright, okay" tone in her voice as if she could careless that the man she was slowly falling in love with was about to die. But overall I think she played a great Peggy.  Another thing that should be mentioned is that this wasn't a love story, sure we could feel that Steve and Peggy had a thing for one another but the movie was NEVER about them and it never felt like they were trying to make about them. Nothing between the two felt forced and Peggy didn't randomly fall in love with Steve half-way through the movie like Jane did in Thor (which was seriously random, one minute she's this smart character on a mission of discovery and the next she's drooling over a shirtless Thor and hanging all over him like a school girl). Instead, we slowly see what COULD have been something more between the two, but never fully see them get anywhere. Captain America is not a love story and people should not go in looking forward to seeing Steve and Peggy have little romantic moments because you will not find them.
I agree that this was not a love story, but that doens't mean it cannot include romantic elements, which they attempted to include.
I never said that the movie couldn't include romantic elements because it did and they were fine in my opinion. I was just pointing out the fact that some people are judging his movie based on the relationship between Steve and Peggy as if this were a love story when in reality it wasn't, it was a story about a man who wanted to serve his country and make a difference and when given the chance took it no matter the cost, and this man so happened to have this cute Brunette tagging along with him. The best way to describe Steve and Peggy's realtionship in the movie was that their was the possibility of their being more between the two but Steve well...died, and yeah dying kinda puts a damper on the whole "getting more serous" part of the realtionship :P lol
#33 Posted by RisingBean (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite comic movie so far. It also made the leap to my top ten movie list overall.
#34 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt that the movie wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. Captain America was OK,certain aspects of his character fit, like the emotional transition from a scrawny nobody to a superpowered being, but we never saw the superpowered being turn into a real leader of men.  In the movie it makes sense why the soldiers follow him

but, it's hard for me to imagine him as a leader of other prominent superheroes. I loved the potions of the story portraying pre-Capt. America Steve Rogers. The story really made sense and I really liked this version of Rogers.  I think that in the process of trying to make the movie more realistic they may have killed certain aspects of Captain America's credibility. I mean the whole propaganda campaign makes sense, but Chris Even's portrayal failed to make up for the ridicule the character endorse. He never becomes a really strong powerful confident character. You see these aspects of his character in the overall story, but not in the actors interpretation of the character. As a result the character was taken down a notch and he never fully recovers. If he was just a follower that would have been fine, but technically he's more then that. He's the leader of the premier superhero team if not the entire Marvel Universe pantheon.

Also I really wish they placed more emphasis on fleshing out each individual character on the Howling Commandos. I think they would have made the movie great. Instead they treat them like mannequins decorating the background behind Capt. America. Truthfully, for me that was the most disappointing and awful aspect of the movie.  The Red Skull was great though. I really enjoyed seeing Hugo Weaving take up the role. I did feel that Red Skulls face was a little too Red though. Problem with the makeup department.

I was also disappointed they didn't show Captain America frozen in ice in one form or another. I think it was one of the most iconic aspects of Captain America's origin.
#35 Posted by Daemon707 (31 posts) - - Show Bio
@xybernauts: Yes i see why you think this and your right there was some aspects of the movie that just couldn't capture the real comic book character that is Captain America an yes i did notice that he wasn't shown to be frozen in ice like his origin shows.
#36 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was about as good as a captain america movie could've been. If anything I would've cut the Howling Commandos and made Bucky the vicious throat-slitter that he was in Brubaker's run to set up a Winter Soldier sequel better.

#37 Posted by pepperr (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@xybernauts said:
I felt that the movie wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. Captain America was OK,certain aspects of his character fit, like the emotional transition from a scrawny nobody to a superpowered being, but we never saw the superpowered being turn into a real leader of men.  In the movie it makes sense why the soldiers follow him but, it's hard for me to imagine him as a leader of other prominent superheroes. I loved the potions of the story portraying pre-Capt. America Steve Rogers. The story really made sense and I really liked this version of Rogers.  I think that in the process of trying to make the movie more realistic they may have killed certain aspects of Captain America's credibility. I mean the whole propaganda campaign makes sense, but Chris Even's portrayal failed to make up for the ridicule the character endorse. He never becomes a really strong powerful confident character. You see these aspects of his character in the overall story, but not in the actors interpretation of the character. As a result the character was taken down a notch and he never fully recovers. If he was just a follower that would have been fine, but technically he's more then that. He's the leader of the premier superhero team if not the entire Marvel Universe pantheon.  Also I really wish they placed more emphasis on fleshing out each individual character on the Howling Commandos. I think they would have made the movie great. Instead they treat them like mannequins decorating the background behind Capt. America. Truthfully, for me that was the most disappointing and awful aspect of the movie.  The Red Skull was great though. I really enjoyed seeing Hugo Weaving take up the role. I did feel that Red Skulls face was a little too Red though. Problem with the makeup department.   I was also disappointed they didn't show Captain America frozen in ice in one form or another. I think it was one of the most iconic aspects of Captain America's origin.
I agree with this more than you know. Biggest complaint I have to my "film" neighbors and best friend(one of them). The best part of the film was pre-SSS. No character arc after that, which is disappointing. Lack of Howling Commando development is sad. Why wasn't Fury there? Hugo Weaving was good, but he's just another generic Villain, not the skull I've read and feared. Indeed, his face looked like Airheads welded to his face.
#38 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

#39 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

I wished they made this darker, with dirty-handed Bucky, and have the film end in the war itself, and have the second film continue in the war, but Marvel is pretty desperate to make the Avengers.

#40 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14399 posts) - - Show Bio

its was preety good , quite cheesey but good. Few minor problems with it but was ok. I had to explain a few things to people afetr watching it because they didnt quite understand though.

#41 Posted by fps_dean (255 posts) - - Show Bio

It was probably my favorite comic book movie since the Dark Knight and Batman Begins... those were perfect.

#42 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio
@pepperr said:
...Hugo Weaving was good, but he's just another generic Villain, not the skull I've read and feared. Indeed, his face looked like Airheads welded to his face.
lol, I agree about the Red Skull. Visually for the most part his character was great and Weaving made a great villain, but like you said, it was a generic villain. Outside of the Red Skull's iconic red skull and his association to the Nazis they never flesh out what makes Red Skull different from other villains. As a result his character seems alittle 2d. Basic "I want to take over the world" megalomaniac cliche.

@Daemon707: Hopefully they'll fill in the blanks in a sequel or in the Avengers movie. 
#43 Posted by Daemon707 (31 posts) - - Show Bio
@xybernauts:  Yes hopefully they do! and about the squeal i was gana ask another question lol but it seems that you read my mind but do u think that there will be another Captain America movie?
#44 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to say. I know other studios with Marvel properties have to have sequels to properties they have in order to keep the rights to those movies. Even if the movies poor they continue to crank out sequels. X-Men is a good example of that, as is Spiderman, FF4, Ghost Rider, etc. I'm not sure what Marvel Studios would do.  Technically, Captain America wasn't that bad so I don't see why they wouldn't.  

Personally, I would like to see a Captain America movie that shows Captain America in the modern world outside of the Avengers. At the same time I want to see new characters brought to the big screen that we haven't seen. The money they use to make another Captain America movie they could also use to portray another Marvel property we haven't seen in a live action movie.  

#45 Posted by pepperr (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@xybernauts said:
It's hard to say. I know other studios with Marvel properties have to have sequels to properties they have in order to keep the rights to those movies. Even if the movies poor they continue to crank out sequels. X-Men is a good example of that, as is Spiderman, FF4, Ghost Rider, etc. I'm not sure what Marvel Studios would do.  Technically, Captain America wasn't that bad so I don't see why they wouldn't.   Personally, I would like to see a Captain America movie that shows Captain America in the modern world outside of the Avengers. At the same time I want to see new characters brought to the big screen that we haven't seen. The money they use to make another Captain America movie they could also use to portray another Marvel property we haven't seen in a live action movie.  
I think I would have liked to see Baron Zemo instead of the Skull. Skull should have been saved for the sequel, where they have more time to flesh out the characters. Myy greatest wishes are an Iron Fist film, and a truly fantastic DD film. My two favorite street level brawlers, save Spidey. I hope the movie doesn't eat it.

That bit about Red Skull being generic is something my "film" friend can't understand. While I read comics and have a background of the Skull that he is lacking in, he can't understand the simple fact that the Skull is different from other villains, has been called the epitome of evil, and is truly maniacal. Yet, he insists that the Skull was a good villain. WHile Weaving did a great job, the character itself was lacking.
#46 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (809 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the movie was okay, not the best but I really enjoyed it. There were some problems with it that I felt was unnecessary and some good parts that were executed well. Just too tired to explain it all but it was worth it.
#47 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

IT WAS AWESOME

#48 Posted by CaptainLantern76 (551 posts) - - Show Bio

I think CA:TFA was the third-best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Avengers is the best and Iron Man is the second-best.

That could change once I see IM3, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.