The extent of Captain America's service in World War II

#1 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question for all ye Captain America experts out there. While I do know that Captain America fought in World War II with his main action being in the European Theater, what I want to know is the extent of Cap's time in World War II? Did he join the war when it first began in 1939 or after the United States joined in 1941? What major historical battles of the war did Captain America fight in?

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

Steve Rogers had already become Captain America before the U.S. entered WW II, but I don't know if it's been shown or stated whether or not he participated in any of the actual great battles of the war.

#3 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I thought that Cap was involved with the invasion of Normandy, but now that I think about it I've don't remember reading anything to confirm this, in any case I always thought that Cap was involved from day one of the U.S.'s involvement upto about a month or less before VE-day, doing mostly Special Ops missions and the like. Ofcourse most of this is just what I've inferred over the years

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

He joined after the US entered the war (I wanna say either 1941 or 42). I could've sworn he was involved in the Invasion of Normandy, though. 

#5 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is that he punched Hitler, and in my eyes that's all that matters

#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

He dealt with fictional battles as far as I know, but he was active throughout WWll

#7 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

All I know is that he punched Hitler, and in my eyes that's all that matters

I second this!!!!

#8 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: Yes, I've always felt he was involved from the start until just before VE Day, too, based on the stories I've read.

However, I don't recall Cap being shown at any actual historical battles (the Normandy Invasion, the Battle of the Bulge, etc.).

#9 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Yeah, me niether, come to think of it. On a side note my grandfather was in WW2 and read Captain America comics and he was involved in the invasion of Normandy, so in a way, Cap was at Normandy!!!!!! :-)

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: I guess he was! Cool.

#11 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Yeah, it's good enough for me at any rate.

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@PowerHerc: Yeah, it's good enough for me at any rate.

Me too! :D

#13 Edited by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@vandinejd_1991: @PowerHerc: He was involved in The Invasion Of Normandy.

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: Nice. Glad to know it. Thanks for the info. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.