The Captain America Respect Thread

#1 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

how has this not been done either? Dude Cap is one of the most memorable characters in all of Comic Bookdom

#2 Posted by King Saturn (224209 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. When I first saw this thread I was wondering if it was going to get locked. Cause I figured Cap would definetely have an appreciation thread by now. One of the greatest team leaders (The Avengers) ever. Mad Props to Captain America.

#3 Posted by Queen Kong (1603 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone read Captain America:The Chosen?

#4 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

King Saturn says:

"Wow. When I first saw this thread I was wondering if it was going to get locked. Cause I figured Cap would definetely have an appreciation thread by now. One of the greatest team leaders (The Avengers) ever. Mad Props to Captain America."

lol I had to quadruple check my eyes before I made this

but I feel sad and happy now...yay!

Comicvine isn't near as filled out as people make it out to be :D:D

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio

Queen Kong says:

"Anyone read Captain America:The Chosen?"

Yea I did.It's kinda boring though.

#6 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"Queen Kong says:
"Anyone read Captain America:The Chosen?"

Yea I did.It's kinda boring though."

And confusing.

#7 Posted by Alpha (7331 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated Cap when I was younger. After the more I read about him I realised that he is a character that never should be counted out. Even with the changing of times, Cap remained the same. IHe is to Marvel as Superman is to DC.

#8 Posted by ronin alexsnder (7817 posts) - - Show Bio

any hero that wears the stars and stripes will forever have my respect.

#9 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

ronin alexsnder says:

"any hero that wears the stars and stripes will forever have my respect."

This coming from a guy not even slightly patriotic, I'd say Steve is the only guy who could pull it off and not look like an idiot

#10 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay

#11 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap America says:

"http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh303/MrCynicalposters/Courage.jpg"

Perhaps one of the best quotes, ever. Love the Poster. Cap is an icon. He will always have my respect. He's the one character you can always count on to fight for what's right. He never compromises his beliefs or values. He is always there, no matter how bad the situation, to stand up for those who may not be able to stand up for themselves. To wear the Stars and Stripes.. the Red, White, and Blue, there's no way you can speak out against him. He is the true definition of a hero.

#13 Posted by Morte Rapida (1614 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is the man! A true heros' hero

#14 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"Cap America says:

Perhaps one of the best quotes, ever. Love the Poster. Cap is an icon. He will always have my respect. He's the one character you can always count on to fight for what's right. He never compromises his beliefs or values. He is always there, no matter how bad the situation, to stand up for those who may not be able to stand up for themselves. To wear the Stars and Stripes.. the Red, White, and Blue, there's no way you can speak out against him. He is the true definition of a hero.

"

Nice summary

#15 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap America says:

"LexiCat says:
"Cap America says:
Perhaps one of the best quotes, ever. Love the Poster. Cap is an icon. He will always have my respect. He's the one character you can always count on to fight for what's right. He never compromises his beliefs or values. He is always there, no matter how bad the situation, to stand up for those who may not be able to stand up for themselves. To wear the Stars and Stripes.. the Red, White, and Blue, there's no way you can speak out against him. He is the true definition of a hero. "
Nice summary "

Thank you, Cap!

salutes him and smiles warmly

#16 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know some people go to bed in Superman PJ's... Superman goes to bed in Chuck Norris Pj's! ... And Chuck goes to bed in Captain America Pj's!!!

#17 Posted by Kain Echnida (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap isn't given the respect he deserves these days by anybody. Especially writers. He's been the subject of horrible writing time and again however despite these flaws he's still respected and still the greatest hero that lived (arguably, definitly better then Superman). I used to hate Captain America until I joined this site and learned about him. I've become a Cap fan because of this place due to the information I was given.

#18 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Kain Echnida says:

"Cap isn't given the respect he deserves these days by anybody. Especially writers. He's been the subject of horrible writing time and again however despite these flaws he's still respected and still the greatest hero that lived (arguably, definitly better then Superman). I used to hate Captain America until I joined this site and learned about him. I've become a Cap fan because of this place due to the information I was given."

I agree with you, Kain. He has been the victim of bad writing, but somehow he overcomes it. There's just no way to dislike this character or what he stands for. And I would place him above Superman. Superman is an alien. Yes he's a great hero, but Captain America.. he's a living, breathing American. He will definitely be the greatest Super Hero.. even without the powers. He's got something no evil can destroy. That is strength of heart and power of the spirit.

#19 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

... I'm so sorry CRIES

#20 Posted by Kain Echnida (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"Kain Echnida says:
"Cap isn't given the respect he deserves these days by anybody. Especially writers. He's been the subject of horrible writing time and again however despite these flaws he's still respected and still the greatest hero that lived (arguably, definitly better then Superman). I used to hate Captain America until I joined this site and learned about him. I've become a Cap fan because of this place due to the information I was given."
I agree with you, Kain. He has been the victim of bad writing, but somehow he overcomes it. There's just no way to dislike this character or what he stands for. And I would place him above Superman. Superman is an alien. Yes he's a great hero, but Captain America.. he's a living, breathing American. He will definitely be the greatest Super Hero.. even without the powers. He's got something no evil can destroy. That is strength of heart and power of the spirit. "

I agree with you entirely Lex, he does overcome it. Even though he's been shown taking out Hulk with one punch and capturing Torpedoes, he still maintains his status of a great hero. His heroics are so aw inspiring that every hero on Marvel Earth respects him. Hell, even our personal favorite Spidey idolizes Cap and views him as what he is, a hero and perhaps even a father figure. You can call Steve the weakest hero of all time and say that everybody can beat him, but I will always call him the strongest hero and do you know why? Because he's human, just like you and I and that's something that's harder then fighting cosmic threats.

#21 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Kain Echnida says:

"LexiCat says:
"Kain Echnida says:
I agree with you, Kain. He has been the victim of bad writing, but somehow he overcomes it. There's just no way to dislike this character or what he stands for. And I would place him above Superman. Superman is an alien. Yes he's a great hero, but Captain America.. he's a living, breathing American. He will definitely be the greatest Super Hero.. even without the powers. He's got something no evil can destroy. That is strength of heart and power of the spirit. "
I agree with you entirely Lex, he does overcome it. Even though he's been shown taking out Hulk with one punch and capturing Torpedoes, he still maintains his status of a great hero. His heroics are so aw inspiring that every hero on Marvel Earth respects him. Hell, even our personal favorite Spidey idolizes Cap and views him as what he is, a hero and perhaps even a father figure. You can call Steve the weakest hero of all time and say that everybody can beat him, but I will always call him the strongest hero and do you know why? Because he's human, just like you and I and that's something that's harder then fighting cosmic threats."

You're exactly right. And I would never call him the weakest Super Hero. Not ever. Again, it's his humanity that gives him his strength. Sure, it's easy to take on Hulk if you can pick things up with your mind and hurl cars or buses at him. Sure, it's easy to take a beating from Iron Man. But it's never easy to stand up, time and again, for what's right. It's not easy to look death in the eye every single time out, but never shy away from a battle.

I absolutely love Spider-Man's respect for Captain America. It just adds another dimension to his own character and the strength of his own morality. There's a time in our lives where we know we have to stand for something, but it's often a challenge to do that. It's often intimidating standing out in the crowd. Captain America's never been afraid to take the heat. He's never been afraid of the consequences. If you cannot respect a man for that, you aren't much of one yourself.

#22 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously against all odds if Cap were ever to fight supes, I'd side with cap no matter how bad the chances are... they are there...

#23 Posted by Kain Echnida (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"Kain Echnida says:
"LexiCat says:
"Kain Echnida says:
I agree with you entirely Lex, he does overcome it. Even though he's been shown taking out Hulk with one punch and capturing Torpedoes, he still maintains his status of a great hero. His heroics are so aw inspiring that every hero on Marvel Earth respects him. Hell, even our personal favorite Spidey idolizes Cap and views him as what he is, a hero and perhaps even a father figure. You can call Steve the weakest hero of all time and say that everybody can beat him, but I will always call him the strongest hero and do you know why? Because he's human, just like you and I and that's something that's harder then fighting cosmic threats."
You're exactly right. And I would never call him the weakest Super Hero. Not ever. Again, it's his humanity that gives him his strength. Sure, it's easy to take on Hulk if you can pick things up with your mind and hurl cars or buses at him. Sure, it's easy to take a beating from Iron Man. But it's never easy to stand up, time and again, for what's right. It's not easy to look death in the eye every single time out, but never shy away from a battle.
I absolutely love Spider-Man's respect for Captain America. It just adds another dimension to his own character and the strength of his own morality. There's a time in our lives where we know we have to stand for something, but it's often a challenge to do that. It's often intimidating standing out in the crowd. Captain America's never been afraid to take the heat. He's never been afraid of the consequences. If you cannot respect a man for that, you aren't much of one yourself."

You're absolutly right. There's more courage in Steve Rogers' pinky then there is in most heroes. Ironman was afraid to go against the white house, as were several other heroes. However Steve stood tall and rebeled against an unfair government, like all revolutionists before him. What's the difference between him and the founding fathers? Or him and Civil Rights Activists? Nothing because he stood up for his people, his friends and arguably his family. He stood up for the superhuman community when they had no defense or no voice. Steve was that voice and he always will be. Some people say "What Would Jesus Do?" but other people say "What Would Steven Do?" Steve stands up for his beliefs and thusly deserves the respect of everybody and anybody who's a hero, and even villains should respect him.

#24 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

... word pillars...

#25 Posted by Kain Echnida (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap America says:

"... word pillars..."

What do you mean?

#26 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Kain Echnida says:

"Cap America says:
"... word pillars..."

What do you mean?"

Those Quotes look like the Tower of Babel LOL

read and laugh

#27 Posted by Kain Echnida (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap America says:

"Kain Echnida says:
"Cap America says:
"... word pillars..."
What do you mean?"
Those Quotes look like the Tower of Babel LOL read and laugh"

LoL. I can't help but laugh.

#28 Posted by Cap America (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting angle.... is it not?

#29 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Just two pictures that I found:

I absolutely love Cap/Spidey

Favorite Cap scan of all time

I was looking for the scan where Spidey is at a graveyard honoring Ben after Cap died and He flashes back to when Cap first saved his @ss from the Hulk after he brushes with Rhino, couldn't find it.

#30 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

OH!! S-B I love the Spidey/Cap scan! ^_^

#31 Posted by Kain Echnida (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"Just two pictures that I found: I absolutely love Cap/Spidey Favorite Cap scan of all time I was looking for the scan where Spidey is at a graveyard honoring Ben after Cap died and He flashes back to when Cap first saved his @ss from the Hulk after he brushes with Rhino, couldn't find it."

He owned Rhino with one punch.

#32 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"OH!! S-B I love the Spidey/Cap scan! ^_^"

Thanks, I was afraid you wouldn't be able to read it, the text is so small.

@EC: I recall that you posted a scan of the scene I'm talking about in one of the debates (something to do with Cap taking a hit from the Hulk), do you still have it?

#33 Posted by capsvibranium (32 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the best things about Cap is that his only weapon is a shield, a symbol that he does he fight to attack, but to protect. Also, I think he should have the #1 spot for unarmed combat. The guy's been defending the red, white, and blue on nothing but punches and kicks (and shield throws) for the last 60 years!

#34 Posted by capsvibranium (32 posts) - - Show Bio

that he does NOT* fight to attack. sorry

#35 Posted by Captain Amerika (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Captain America is awesome. 

#36 Posted by NoMoreHeroes (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is the embodiment of awesome itself

#37 Posted by Iceberg8 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America has been the #1 Patriotic Hero since 1941. He truly is an embodiment of America

#38 Posted by Roninidas (383 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America Quotes, 

"I have worked and fought all my life for the growth and advancement of the American Dream... we must all live in the real world... but it is the dream... the hope... that that makes the reality worth living... you need but to look within yourselves to find the people you need to keep this nation strong... and, God willing, to help make the dream come true!" --Captain America 

"So long as Freedom may be threatened... Captain America must follow his destiny... wherever it may lead!" -Captain America

I will post more as I find them, but I am a little disappointed that many Websites overlook his quotes.  He has a lot.  I've been reading the Essential Captain America Volume 1 and there are a lot of Good Ones.  Perhaps on the Main Character Page their should be a section for Quotes?  Just a thought.

#39 Posted by homeslice (178 posts) - - Show Bio
@LexiCat: 
very true.

Cap(steve) and spidey should be in a marvel animated movie. like marvel's version of superman batman public enemies.
they are the 2 best marvel characters imo.
#40 Posted by PowerHerc (84035 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America deserves respect and recognition to a degree that is difficult to express.   
When the movie comes out this summer I hope it's a huge success so more people realize just how great Cap is. 
#41 Edited by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America has always been one of my favorites, not just as a superhero, but a personal hero as well. It's hard not to be inspired by someone like him. It wasn't the super soldier serum that made Captain America great. It's the heart and courage of Steve Rogers. No matter the odds, Captain America won't quit, won't back down, and he will find a way to win.

I mentioned this in another thread... I used a quote I read in a comic in my final for character class in college, I even said that it was from Captain America and listed the issue.

#42 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

It just seemed so obvious that no one did it. Cap is frikin EPIC total respect for who I consider the greatest leader in comics!

#44 Edited by agustinaldo (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want to know exactly how is a C-list guy like Captain Britain, who barely affects anything in the Marvel Universe, better than Captain fucking America.

Captain America is a skilled World War 2 veteran, he has led every single notable incarnation of the Avengers, he has saved the Earth countless of times, all with just his strength, his smarts, his fighting skills and his skills as a leader and tactician. His Vibranium-alloy shield stopped countless villains in their tracks. He led the Anti-Registration Side in "Civil War" and kicked a major amount of Skrull ass in "Secret Invasion". He doesn't even need the costume or the codename to kick ass, he's badass even as Steve Rogers.

And Captain Britain thinks he's better than him...why? Because Captain Britiain can fly? If Captain America needed to fly. he would just grab a jetpack from S.H.I.E.L.D., or just give his buddy Falcon a call. And Captain America has actually defeated enemies with flight capabilities before. Because Captain Britain can lift 100 tons or whatever? Captain America has defeated enemies stronger than him, using his aforementioned fighting skills, smarts and tactical skills.

Seriously, what the hell has Captain Britiain ever done that can even begin to compare with THE greatest hero in the Marvel Universe?

Captain America was kicking ass in the 40s, back when Captain Britain's creator was a spermatozoid. That's how badass Captain America is.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.